U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-21-2011, 03:18 PM

24 posts, read 91,395 times
Default Best Neighborhood for 30-something "Hipsters"?

We are couple in our 30's who are considering a move to the Twin Cities from Nevada. We are drawn to the city because of it's bike system. We would probably be considered "hipsters" since we enjoy arts, crafts, bikes, etc. Are there any neighborhoods that may suite us? We plan on commuting by bike and desire to be in the city.

Also, Is the winter as brutal as we believe it is? We have lived in both Chicago and Boston and have experienced those winters... is Minneapolis better/worse? Thanks for any and all help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 05:06 PM

276 posts, read 374,424 times
I think right outside of downtown on Lyndale between 22nd-26th street would be a good fit from what I can tell by reading your post. It is a hip area with nice cafes and bars. Very easy bike ride or bus ride in the winter. If you have lived in Chicago I think you would be fine here.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:26 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,303,930 times
If you can survive a winter in Chicago, I'm sure you'll be fine. It'll get a little colder here, but really, it's not a huge difference.

I think it depends on what sort of hipster vibe you're going for.

Uptown is an obvious suggestion. I think it's really the hub of the the 20-something and up crowd. The area right at the center (Hennepin Ave & Lake St) is fairly gentrified, though only by Minneapolis standards. That area of Uptown I think of as sort of the "squeaky clean hipster".

A slightly less gentrified area (though at this point, I'd argue hardly) is Lyn-Lake, which is about 8 blocks east of Uptown or so, centered on the intersection of Lyndale Ave and Lake St.

Whittier is one of the neighborhoods that meets at Lyn-Lake (north of Lake and east of Lyndale), and it's known for being a fairly cheap and diverse area. It has a grittier vibe than Uptown and the central area of Lyndale, but offers a lot of urban vibe and is definitely has some promising development. It's also home to the wonderful Minneapolis Institute of Arts, which is free to visit. I've only visited once, but I wandered for a LONG time and didn't finish seeing everything.

Finally, another area you might want to look is Northeast Minneapolis. It's on the other side of downtown and is considered by many to be a cheaper and grittier alternative to the Uptown area. It has a great arts scene and a blue-collar/working class vibe and whenever I've driven on Central Ave up there, it seems pretty diverse. You'd also have fairly easy access to the amenities of the University and a good bar scene along the river.

All of these areas are filled with people who bike and offer on-street and off-street opportunities (including the amazing Midtown Greenway that runs through Uptown, Lyn-Lake, and other areas...it's essentially a bike highway!) and the city is pretty progressive, artsy, and the like. I'm sure you'll find it to be a pretty cool place.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:33 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,064,315 times
These days, probably next to the Government Plaza downtown

(j/k...sort of...that's where the Occupy MN group set up shop)

Others have given you good serious answers already. As far as winters...I agree that if you were fine in Boston and Chicago, you should be fine here.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:05 PM

1,777 posts, read 3,469,601 times
You mean you don't already know? I mean I would take the time to tell you, but I'm not sure that you would 'get' it.

^Just playing and trying out my best hipster impression- haha. There are many areas in Mpls/St. Paul that would suit you based on your interest in arts/crafts/bikes- if you were a little more specific about what you were hoping to find in a neighborhood (e.g. rent or buy, type of housing stock, desired n'hood amenities, vibe/feel/age/diversity, budget, geographic preferences, etc.), it would help folks to get a little more specific in directing you in your search. Good luck!

Old 10-21-2011, 10:36 PM

10,039 posts, read 14,346,493 times
Your post absolutely screams Lyn-Lake, although you will have plenty of options. You can hang out at Common Roots (popular with many of my 30-something artsy, craftsy, biking friends; you'll fit right in!), the VFW, check out the arts galleries and events like the Calhoun Building Art Crawl, and visit the many bike shops that are located on almost literally every corner in that part of town. Add in easy proximity to the Midtown Greenway (like a bike freeway) and you're golden. Some of the apartments will still be listed as "Uptown," but basically look for options along the Lyndale corridor somewhere between Franklin and 34th or so. There's everything from upscale new buildings to historic duplexes to converted mansions, single family houses, and everything in-between, with a budget range to match. It's very "artsy," with a good visual art and theater scene. Intermedia Arts, Jungle Theater, Highpoint Center for Printmaking, etc. are all there, and the Calhoun Building is filled with interesting artist studios and galleries, dance studios, theater companies, etc. There are also some great food options, and a nice community garden tucked right off the Greenway.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:07 AM

24 posts, read 91,395 times
So much input! Thanks. So many options to check into. Out of curiosity.... how long does the heart of winter last? Is the city still alive in the winter?

Old 10-22-2011, 06:57 AM

1,635 posts, read 861,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
You mean you don't already know? I mean I would take the time to tell you, but I'm not sure that you would 'get' it.
Man, I was living in Uptown before it was cool. Wanna meet at the CC Club and buy me a Pabst?

As for winter? Who cares - it comes, it's cold for awhile, then it goes away. Most of the time it doesn't bother me at all, except when my car's acting up. If you've been through Chicago winters you've got a pretty good idea of what it's like here.

Being a lifelong hipster, of course, I drive my Citroen 2CV only in the summer, and use the International Scout for my winter runabouts.
But you're probably not acquainted with them, eh? Figures...

Last edited by audadvnc; 10-22-2011 at 07:08 AM..

Old 10-23-2011, 08:55 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,182,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourting View Post
So much input! Thanks. So many options to check into. Out of curiosity.... how long does the heart of winter last? Is the city still alive in the winter?
The winter lasts a while, but both Minneapolis and St. Paul have extensive skyway systems. You can wander around a lot of downtown in heated comfort.

The snow and cold doesn't slow people down. Snow removable is excellent in most of the metro, and people just learn to deal with the cold weather.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:07 PM

10,039 posts, read 14,346,493 times
If you can handle winters in Chicago you can handle winters in Minneapolis. Many people even commute via bike in winter; you have to buy some special gear, but that's readily available in the stores here. FYI, you can also bring your bikes on the bus (they have racks on the front), so if you were to bike one way to work but can't stand the thought on the way home you have the bus option as easy back-up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul