U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 07:50 PM

2,865 posts, read 2,901,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsinnott24 View Post
I want my child to love and be good at sports just like a lot of parents do. All I'm saying is I know my child, and I don't see him as one being super competitive or having the desire to succeed like you need for hockey, and that's perfectly fine. He's doing his ice mites and likes it, and only time will tell with what the future will be for him and sports. You guys are acting like I'm cruel. It's not like he knows I think this. I give him lots of love, praise, and encouragement. I am just a little afraid of the very real possibility of him being an average athlete and not being able to play sports if we go to Wayzata. To me that's a bummer a lot of kids probably face attending that school.
Glenfield - what does your battles and the future comment mean?
Wayzata most certainly will have A, B and Cs (multiple teams most likely in each) for every age group. I think more than anything it's about growing character. Sports grows character.

I wasn't cut from A through squirts or peewees until bantams - the most physical leap in hockey, by far - when all the 14yo's went through puberty and I didn't. We still finished 2nd place in Minnesota that year for B Bantams we were so good.

Brian Bonnin went pro and his little brother played Cs his entire life for WBL. Anyway, it's' not my deal. Raise your child how you want.

We're getting off the rails here in this thread now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 08:23 PM

5,051 posts, read 5,716,131 times
Quote:
Glenfield - what does your battles and the future comment mean?
If you want it spelled out, it means that your kid is four and you are trying to plan out the rest of his life. Within two years, you are going to find out that he has his own ideas about how to live his life, and if you try to live it for him, he'll fight you all the way.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:27 PM

5,935 posts, read 14,305,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
That's politics in any metro hockey organization. I saw it many times growing up in one of the hockey hotbeds of the country.

Also, 4 is where any kid should be starting if they ever want to be good at the game in this state in particular. It's one of the sports where you absolutely have to start them out early for them to fully understand the fundamentals. I started when I was 5.
So I take it you are not good at hockey?

Old 11-02-2011, 08:34 PM

2,865 posts, read 2,901,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
So I take it you are not good at hockey?
4, 5, 6. Bleh. Seriously, give it up.

As for how good I was, several of the players I was on the same team as and same caliber with for many years went DI or DIII and a couple are playing in the minors right now. I most certainly could've went DIII but got sidetracked in high school, let's just say.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:48 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,804,183 times
I didn't get on the ice until around age 9 or 10, and did quite well for myself (figure skating, not hockey). You never know what will happen. (that said, I hope my son never decides he has a passion for figure skating or hockey -- a nice inexpensive sport would be MUCH better! Something to keep in mind, potential skating parents... much cheaper to just keep it at the casual level.)

Old 11-02-2011, 09:20 PM

3,831 posts, read 8,338,510 times
I'm not going to get all 'nagging journalist' and ask lame questions like: "What is exactly a suburb?" and "What is 'rich'?

There are what I would call 'enclaves' of weath. Weath doesn't notice boundaries or jurisdictions. Wealth forms in pockets. Especially in places that are unique geographically, such as hills, woods, lakes, valleys, oceans, mountains, rivers, etc.

So what you get is tiny "neighborhood-like" municipalities that I guess one can call a suburb, that have residents of that make a lot of money. Places like such are Woodland, MN ($95,000 per capita income).60 square miles, Minnetoka Beach, MN ($92,000) .50 square miles, Sunfish Lake, MN ($82,000)1.7 square miles, Wayzata, MN ($63,000) 3.2 square miles, Greenwood, MN ($63,000) .60 square miles, Dellwood, MN ($61,000) 2.9 square miles. None of these 'Suburbs' consist of more than 4 square miles.

If you take a look at municipalities over 10 square miles you'll get North Oaks $72,000), Orono ($66,000), Medina ($49,000), Shorewood ($45,000), Minnetrista ($40,000), Eden Prairie ($39,000), Afton ($36,000), Plymouth ($36,000). The common theme is that all of these communities besides North Oaks and Afton are located in the 'Western Suburban Area'. But if you really think about it, it's not that surprising considering the history of Lake Minnetonka being a cabin retreat area for the wealthy.

Per Capita Income isn't the best or the only way to measure wealth. I don't know what is. Home values are another. Check this out: Hennepin County Home Prices and Heat Map - Trulia.com

I would call the smaller communities strictly 'rich communities" but the it's hard to generalize a large suburban municipality as being "rich"

So to answer the OP's question... I guess there are small neighborhood like communties that are rich - Woodland, Minnetonka Beach, Sunfish Lake, Wayzata, Greenwood, Dellwood... Or suburbs that, on average, are higher income municipalities like North Oaks, Plymouth, Orono, Medina and Eden Prairie.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 PM

49 posts, read 92,344 times
Glenfield you have it all wrong. I have a choice on where I want my kids to attend school for the next 13 or so years and I'm doing my research. I want them in a school that will fit them. I am not the kind of parent to plan or decide their lives. I just want to start them out right as I am also not the kind of parent that wants to pull them out of a school and change to another. To me that is a cruel thing to do. Why is it exactly that you think this? I can understand that maybe I'm a little overprotective? Lots of people say to find a house and go from there. I want to find the right school first, within reason obviously of work. I don't see where I'm going wrong here? I look it as a positive thing I'm doing for my kids.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:45 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,625,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
That's politics in any metro hockey organization. I saw it many times growing up in one of the hockey hotbeds of the country.

Also, 4 is where any kid should be starting if they ever want to be good at the game in this state in particular. It's one of the sports where you absolutely have to start them out early for them to fully understand the fundamentals. I started when I was 5.
Oh I know well about the politics of hockey. I played from 2nd grade until 9th grade. Northeastern Minnesota hockey is VERY political, especially near Duluth. It's not always about how good you are, it's about who you KNOW. We had tryouts that had "independent" people come in to judge how good we were to determine if we'd make the A or B team. Of course, I looked up into the box where they were evaluating us...and it was a select group of parents that I could have all named at the time. There were many times I could have made the A team, but because my parents weren't "in" with the right crowd, I never did. And that was okay. The A teams were always the snobby jocks. The B team had parents who weren't crazy, cool teammates, etc.

To the OP, I think you'll find that people are probably thinking that you're overthinking schools. You're going to be pressed to find a bad one, especially in the western metro. Schools are very important, but I think they can only do so much. I went to Hermantown up near Duluth, but I probably would have done just as well at Denfeld or Central with the way my family raised me.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 PM

49 posts, read 92,344 times
Xandrex, our hopes are to stay here in Duluth and attend Hermantown. It's just a work thing that might force us to the cities. That's too bad to hear about the hockey try-outs and the politics of it, but that seems to be the way of the world now. My kids attend a preschool/daycare in Hermantown and I can't say enough about the kids in his class and their families. I guess I just want the same in the cities if it comes to that.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:23 PM

223 posts, read 464,913 times
Quote:
Glenfield you have it all wrong. I have a choice on where I want my kids to attend school for the next 13 or so years and I'm doing my research. I want them in a school that will fit them. I am not the kind of parent to plan or decide their lives. I just want to start them out right as I am also not the kind of parent that wants to pull them out of a school and change to another. To me that is a cruel thing to do. Why is it exactly that you think this? I can understand that maybe I'm a little overprotective? Lots of people say to find a house and go from there. I want to find the right school first, within reason obviously of work. I don't see where I'm going wrong here? I look it as a positive thing I'm doing for my kids.
People must move all over the country due to their work. This happens everyday. Everyday to people who have children. It has happened to my family. My youngest who is 12 is on his third state i.e. 3 different school districts. He started in private, then we transferred him to public. He is a very resilient kid and is very social. He is also an A student & excels in sports. Are we a perfect family? Of course not, but I as parents I think we have done a very good job. Honestly, if I had my choice we would still be living in the city where he started school, but NOT because I felt it was cruel to change schools. It would be because that is where our family lives. I am happy for the opportunities my children have had to live all over the country. My oldest who are 24 & 22 yoa are college graduates and living successfully on their own. I might add that each time we moved, I thought that it was the last move. Unfortunately, life doesn't always work out like we planned and believe me, I am a planner!

We looked at several different school districts before moving here. I asked opinions on this forum regarding those districts. We narrowed it down to three that we liked, then searched for a rental home in that area. There is no doubt in my mind that we are exactly where we are supposed to be at this moment, but I attribute that to my positive thinking.

Again, I am quite the planner myself, but I am also mature enough to realize that planning out 13+ years on where my kids are going to be attending school is very, very difficult. Zoning & population fluctuations alone can throw a wrench into that scenario. As the saying goes..."the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry". I get the "big picture" that you want what's best for your kids, but I think the folks that you think are attacking you are just speaking from experience in trying to help you. The kind of "been there, done that" attitude. Take a breath & relax. I think you are making this way too difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul