U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:57 PM

5,231 posts, read 9,481,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Well I've done this a few times before...

Minneapolis:
Pop: 382,600
Sq Miles: 55

St. Paul:
Pop: 285,000
Sq Miles: 53

Combining the two would make a combined city called "The Twin Cities" (much like The Woodlands, TX).

The Twin Ciies
Pop: 667,600
Sq Miles: 108
Pop Density: 6,182 people/sq mi.

That would put "The Twin Cities" at #19 in US City Population Rankings. However, 'The Twin Cities' would be one of more dense large cities in the USA. At 108 sq miles the city would be one of the smallest land-wise. For reference, NYC = 302 sq miles, LA = 486 sq miles, Chicago = 228 sq miles, Houston = 600 sq miles, Philadelphia = 134 sq miles, San Fran = 47. **If The Twin Cities went by Houston's standards, the population would be 3.7 million!!, the second largest city in the USA!!!!

The Twin Cities would be a major metropolis that would pack quite a punch in 108 square miles. Seemingly there would be two downtowns, with current-day Minneapolis being the superior business district. I would imagine that St. Paul would be like Atlanta's Buckhead or LA's Century City.

There would be nearly 20 lakes.
It would be one of the most diverse cities in the country- Largest population centers for Somali and Hmong as well as other East African and South Asia populations. Heritage rich in Scandanavian, French and German cultures.
...don't forget Irish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 10:17 PM

5,531 posts, read 5,962,954 times
Quote:
Most public projects and planning such infrastructure is overseen by The Metropolitan Council. In addition to that, most projects like that would be administered by State or County government(s). Not too many issues arise regarding the two Local Level Municipalities. Leaders of both communities understand that neither can function without each other and know what's good for one community is good for another.

The most infamous example would be the 'fight' for the Expansion NHL team in the mid 1990s. Minneapolis wanted it, but struggled to find a partner (see Vikings stadium) and St. Paul scooped in with the help of Norm Coleman. This upset some Minneapolitans due to loss of tax base, infrastructure improvement and the 'clout' of having all four professional teams in town.
The NFL stadium issue is one that comes to mind......without two separate cities (and suburbs) vying for the Vikes, in different counties, no less, it's hard to commit to one place and fund something.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:50 PM

1,341 posts, read 749,333 times
Quote:
Well I've done this a few times before...

Minneapolis:
Pop: 382,600
Sq Miles: 55

St. Paul:
Pop: 285,000
Sq Miles: 53

Combining the two would make a combined city called "The Twin Cities" (much like The Woodlands, TX).

The Twin Ciies
Pop: 667,600
Sq Miles: 108
Pop Density: 6,182 people/sq mi.

That would put "The Twin Cities" at #19 in US City Population Rankings. However, 'The Twin Cities' would be one of more dense large cities in the USA. At 108 sq miles the city would be one of the smallest land-wise. For reference, NYC = 302 sq miles, LA = 486 sq miles, Chicago = 228 sq miles, Houston = 600 sq miles, Philadelphia = 134 sq miles, San Fran = 47. **If The Twin Cities went by Houston's standards, the population would be 3.7 million!!, the second largest city in the USA!!!!

The Twin Cities would be a major metropolis that would pack quite a punch in 108 square miles. Seemingly there would be two downtowns, with current-day Minneapolis being the superior business district. I would imagine that St. Paul would be like Atlanta's Buckhead or LA's Century City.

There would be nearly 20 lakes.
It would be one of the most diverse cities in the country- Largest population centers for Somali and Hmong as well as other East African and South Asia populations. Heritage rich in Scandanavian, French and German cultures.
The Twin Cities

That would be AWESOME and not totally without precedence except, of course, for the size but I really like the concept.

I remember reading some type of report (I want to say in the washington Post) which stated that the speed at which some Metropolitan areas on the East Coast were growing and merging (such as the Baltimore-Washington corridor), within a few decades we may see today's cities become "neighborhoods" in a very small number of future megapolises. The report claimed, for example, one city may extend from Richmond, Va to Washington, DC or Philadelphia, PA to Baltimore, MD.

In comparison, merging Minneapolis and Saint Paul into one city is small potatoes and infinitely more workable and practical.

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:53 PM

5,231 posts, read 9,481,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
The Twin Cities

That would be AWESOME and not totally without precedence except, of course, for the size but I really like the concept.

I remember reading some type of report (I want to say in the washington Post) which stated that the speed at which some Metropolitan areas on the East Coast were growing and merging (such as the Baltimore-Washington corridor), within a few decades we may see today's cities become "neighborhoods" in a very small number of future megapolises. The report claimed, for example, one city may extend from Richmond, Va to Washington, DC or Philadelphia, PA to Baltimore, MD.

In comparison, merging Minneapolis and Saint Paul into one city is small potatoes and infinitely more workable and practical.

But why would you want to do it? I like them separate. They are each unique and make the whole metro area unique as well.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:42 PM

3,738 posts, read 4,982,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
The Twin Cities

The Map Scroll: Megaregions: The Emerging Map of Urban America

Old 12-17-2011, 01:02 AM

5,531 posts, read 5,962,954 times
Some of those regions, like the "Front Range" and "Cascadia", are FAR less populated than many Midwestern, Southern and Northeastern areas, yet they are shaded like they are continuous regions with largely uninterrupted development. Not from my personal experience, they aren't!

Old 12-17-2011, 09:15 AM

345 posts, read 409,082 times
I agree that the Twin Cities should stay separate. They both really are unique with strong character. And they are sooooo different. Meshing them together is not a good idea. Let them remain separate so they can keep their own uniqueness.

Can we really even say that the Twin Cities and Kansas City and St. Louis are in a Great Lakes Megaregion? Maybe an Ohio megaregion, but not a Great Lakes megaregion. The only real Megaregion there is is the Northeast.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:06 AM

3,738 posts, read 4,982,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
I agree that the Twin Cities should stay separate. They both really are unique with strong character. And they are sooooo different. Meshing them together is not a good idea. Let them remain separate so they can keep their own uniqueness.

Can we really even say that the Twin Cities and Kansas City and St. Louis are in a Great Lakes Megaregion? Maybe an Ohio megaregion, but not a Great Lakes megaregion. The only real Megaregion there is is the Northeast.
Like most planning, this map isn't to depict a story of today. Yes, it shows present day metros, but the purpose of the map is to show how these regions can emerge and eventually maybe even overlap to form a megareion. Kind of like what is KIND of happening on the East Coast.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:46 AM

141 posts, read 64,366 times
Default To compete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
But why would you want to do it? I like them separate. They are each unique and make the whole metro area unique as well.
The two cities should not only combine, they should annex the suburbs. This is how most southern cities grow, like Dallas, and it makes them a lot more efficient and competitive. We have something like 120 municipalities in the Twin Cities which means a lot of duplication. We're going to have trouble competing with places like Dallas.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:39 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,208,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
The two cities should not only combine, they should annex the suburbs. This is how most southern cities grow, like Dallas, and it makes them a lot more efficient and competitive. We have something like 120 municipalities in the Twin Cities which means a lot of duplication. We're going to have trouble competing with places like Dallas.
Dallas has suburbs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul