Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,061 times

Advertisements

Hello! It looks like my husband and I will be moving to the twin cities in a few months. My husband's job will be in Woodbury and my job will be in Eagan. Is one location easier to commute to than the other? We are looking to spend 450-550K on a home. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 12:55 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,428,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad233 View Post
Hello! It looks like my husband and I will be moving to the twin cities in a few months. My husband's job will be in Woodbury and my job will be in Eagan. Is one location easier to commute to than the other? We are looking to spend 450-550K on a home. Thanks in advance for your help!
Where do you want to live? In Woodbury and commute to Eagan or vice versa? Or do you want to live somewhere else and commute to both? The biggest problem I see with commuting from one of those suburbs to the other is if you take the 494 bridge at Inver Grove Heights/S St Paul which can be an utter nightmare during the rush hour and even more so if there's construction. It might be better to live north or south of there and take different roads to work, eg; Hwy 10 or Hwy 55 and 35E. You could even go against the traffic by living in downtown St Paul and commuting to the suburbs. I did that for several years and never had any problems with traffic.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:02 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,093,078 times
Personally I would live in the Eagan area and commute toward Woodbury. Most of the traffic will be coming from Woodbury to Bloomington, etc. so the commute will be easy, especially when they get the Wackota bridge done. Also, the schools in Eagan are better then those in Woodbury. You won't have a problem finding a house in your price range in the Eagan or Woodbury area.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:39 PM

41 posts, read 176,652 times
I think Woodbury is probably more "interesting" than Eagan, but I'm biting my tongue about an analogy I might make for that. Seriously, though, Woodbury has some surprisingly great shopping, including a big spread out near 94 that's actually walkable. (Can't remember the name). You could also consider someplace in the middle, like Inver Grove Heights.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:03 PM

118 posts, read 387,348 times
I second Eagan. Eagan has less of a bedroom community feel to it and more of a all-your-needs-in-one-suburb type of suburb. The part of Inver Grove Heights bordering Eagan is definitely more rural than both Eagan and Woodbury, and Inver Grove Heights tries to maintain that character in its newer subdivisions. You can a nice house in Eagan and Inver Grove Heights in that price range.

I can't comment much on Woodbury. Woodbury does have a good variety shopping, but I don't tend to like lifestyle centers (in this case, Woodbury Lakes). Lifestyle centers tend to offer the worst of both worlds of shopping: you still have massive parking lots (like traditional malls) and you have to walk outdoors to enter/exit different stores (like strip malls). Lifestyle centers started in the South; indoor, enclosed malls started in Minnesota. I wonder why?

If you have kids, you probably want to consider the sections of Eagan and Inver Grove Heights that are served by ISD 196 schools. Hard to go wrong with those schools.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:57 AM

19 posts, read 133,117 times
Anyone commute into the city from the north/west? I've heard a lot of good about Elk River, but really wonder if the commute will make it a hard place to live.

I've also thought about areas a little closer in like Crystal, New Hope and Blaine.

I have a friend that lived up in white bear lake for a while and said the commute into Minneapolis was not a problem at all, but now with the 35W bridge out it makes me wonder.

Any advice from residents would be appreciated.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Paint View Post
Anyone commute into the city from the north/west? I've heard a lot of good about Elk River, but really wonder if the commute will make it a hard place to live.

I've also thought about areas a little closer in like Crystal, New Hope and Blaine.

I have a friend that lived up in white bear lake for a while and said the commute into Minneapolis was not a problem at all, but now with the 35W bridge out it makes me wonder.

Any advice from residents would be appreciated.
With Highway 36 about done, the commute from the eastern suburbs to MLPS should be pretty easy. The commute from the northern suburbs into MLPS is probably one of the worst in the cities, especially in the summer with the added lake traffic. There is a lot of construction on the northern side of St. Paul that when completed will make commuting from that area a breeze.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:40 PM

41 posts, read 176,652 times
I'm not sure why you capitalize "MLPS" or why the letters are in that order. It's generally abbreviated as "Mpls," as that corresponds with the order of the letters in the original word "Minneapolis."

Old 09-18-2007, 10:15 AM

19 posts, read 133,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
With Highway 36 about done, the commute from the eastern suburbs to MLPS should be pretty easy. The commute from the northern suburbs into MLPS is probably one of the worst in the cities, especially in the summer with the added lake traffic. There is a lot of construction on the northern side of St. Paul that when completed will make commuting from that area a breeze.
AM I mistaken, or is the light rail system being extended into the northwest area's? If it is, how far is it going and what is the estimated completion date?

Old 09-18-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Paint View Post
AM I mistaken, or is the light rail system being extended into the northwest area's? If it is, how far is it going and what is the estimated completion date?

It is being talked about and it is a good idea, no completion date yet. They are trying to decide between going up north or down south along Cedar Ave. No final decisions yet so it will be at least 5 years best guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul