U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:26 AM

37 posts, read 60,087 times

Advertisements

My husband was offered a job position in Rosemount, Flint Hills Refinery. He seriously considering accepting.

We're a family of six...four children, 15, 13, 9, 6.

I need advice as to where to move to. I read some of the other ads that Eagan, Apple Valley is a good area.

Please advise me on where the best schools are at. And nice neighborhoods, low crime and family friendly....we're looking in the $400 to $500K range. We're also open to find a house with a lake in the backyard. Any suggestions?

Also, are there golf communities there? Also, on realtor.com, I don't see many inground pools? How's the weather in the summer? short summers?

Any nice churches too to suggest? Also, my boys are athethic and we're looking for communities that has lacrosse and baseball and basketball leagues.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 08:37 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,050,054 times
Rosemount would be the obvious choice . Nice 3 mile commute to work. The Rosemount, Eagan, Apple Valley district is all the same. The only "golf community" close to Rosemount is in the southern part of Inver Grove Heights around the Arbor Point golf course, which is basically a par 3 course, nothing special at all. There are many public courses around the Rosemount area though.

Lake lots are few and far between, they just don't come up all that often and they tend to be expensive in the metro but not unheard of.

Most people don't have inground pools because you can really only use them Memorial Day-Labor Day for the most part. Summer weather is hot and humid but with the abundance of lakes for swimming, it's just as easy to do that vs maintaining a pool. Most towns have some kind of community pool as well.

I would suggest looking in the Evermoor development in Rosemount. Several of the individual neighborhoods there have a community pool for residents only so that is very handy. Nice area, newer houses, good variety in choices for houses. Some properties will back up to a pond but not really a lake. Lots of kids your kids' ages in that area too.

Churches are plentiful, which denomination?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:18 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,226,478 times
Golfgal is going to be the expert on this one.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:48 PM

145 posts, read 291,587 times
Not every summer day is warm enough for swimming either. When it's the low 70s with low humidity you have to be a bit intrepid. It's just not worth it for most people to bother with a pool with the limited days it can be used combined with all the lakes, public pools, and the Valleyfair and Bunker Beach waterparks. Summer is effectively only June-July-August, although there are usually some summery days in May and September, (as well as some chilly nights in early June and late August). You need to think about what to do in the spring, fall, winter as summer's too short to stay cooped up the rest of the year.

You're not likely to find a waterfront home in the price range (a lot of the lakes are public property, and the Minnesota/Mississippi Rivers are polluted) , but it'll definately get you a very nice home in the suburbs. As far as safety, all the southern outer ring suburbs are, in my opinion, safe. There are some suburbs ( and areas of the cities of course) that are "questionable" but people here get really upset when they're mentioned so I won't as they're not area's you'd likely consider with your budget and work location.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:12 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,798,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdcastle View Post
Not every summer day is warm enough for swimming either. When it's the low 70s with low humidity you have to be a bit intrepid. It's just not worth it for most people to bother with a pool with the limited days it can be used combined with all the lakes, public pools, and the Valleyfair and Bunker Beach waterparks. Summer is effectively only June-July-August, although there are usually some summery days in May and September, (as well as some chilly nights in early June and late August). You need to think about what to do in the spring, fall, winter as summer's too short to stay cooped up the rest of the year.

You're not likely to find a waterfront home in the price range (a lot of the lakes are public property, and the Minnesota/Mississippi Rivers are polluted) , but it'll definately get you a very nice home in the suburbs. As far as safety, all the southern outer ring suburbs are, in my opinion, safe. There are some suburbs ( and areas of the cities of course) that are "questionable" but people here get really upset when they're mentioned so I won't as they're not area's you'd likely consider with your budget and work location.
That's kind of a lot of negative advice, IMO. The summer (Memorial Day thru Labor Day -- like most of the U.S.) averages about 84 degrees for a high temp for that time period, with 85 or 86 in July and as low as 80 for a June avg. temp. There will be some days where the temps get into the 70's, but those days are usually rainy anyways. The summer in the Twin Cities, contrary to popular perception, is quite warm and usually warm enough to swim outside (I personally don't like going to the lake/pool unless it's at least 85, and it's not an issue in the summertime here). It's a relatively sunny place with not as much rain as most/all cities East of here, but much more than out West. You MAY even find it to be a bit hot and/or oppressive.....especially if you're expecting a Seattle-like 70 and mild kind of weather (not sure where you're from or what you know about MN or the TC).

Most areas of the city and suburbs are safe, and the areas that aren't are fairly obvious and mostly few and far between, so my recommendation would be to go with your "gut" on that front. Apple Valley, Rosemount, Eagan and Lakeville, particularly, are quite safe (and a bit vanilla, IMO), and very family-oriented. I HEARD there were some sketchy spots of Eagan but, I mean, that's a bit of a stretch. All 4 areas have great schools, and you almost can't go wrong there. Great sports too (well, good, not great, in that this area doesn't have State Champ. teams that I know of, but have a variety of sports programs). It's one of the faster-growing areas of the Twin Cities (esp. Lakeville and Farmington, another option) and you'll be part of a busy and ever-changing environment. That's not to say you'll be in a new subdivision, but the area has homes mostly from the 70's to today, and is about 75% developed (Rosemount is considerably newer though, and less developed). There are quite a few lakes and golf courses in the area, as well as the Minnesota Zoo (largest TC zoo, compared to Como Zoo in St. Paul, but isn't free like Como Zoo). I think if you want to live ON the lake that you may be able to make it happen with that home price range (esp. in this market). Unlike Mdcastle, I find that the suburbs especially have many lakes with private properties surrounding the shorline (the ones in Lakeville are this way at least). There are also lots of city and regional parks on the lakes and if you don't take advantage of them you're truly missing out on what is sort of special about MN and the TC. I find traffic to be a bit of a headache south of the river (Minnesota River), but I don't know what you are used to and what your expectations are. Both Cedar 77 and I-35E and I-35W are pretty log-jammed during rush hour, but it sounds like you'll not have to cross the river much if your husband works in Rosemount. Cedar 77 and County Rd 42 is THE busiest intersection in the Twin Cities, I've heard, and that area in general is fairly buzzing for a sleepy suburb in Minnesota. A LOT of development is going on around there too and if you wanted to live in a more "urban" (use that term loosely) enviorn. the area adjascent to the Apple Valley Transit Center off of Galaxie between 150th and 160t streets is quite dense and walkable for a suburb here (again, don't expect Manhattan when I say that!).

Good luck with your move and ask more questions if you have them!

Old 02-20-2012, 02:02 PM

37 posts, read 60,087 times
Thank you very much for your advice.

After doing so more research, we're leaning towards Prior Lake and Shakopee. But we need to visit these areas. Please keep the advice coming. Greatly appreciate all input

Old 02-21-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlypower View Post
Thank you very much for your advice.

After doing so more research, we're leaning towards Prior Lake and Shakopee. But we need to visit these areas. Please keep the advice coming. Greatly appreciate all input
I wouldn't do that personally. The commute from both out to Flint Hills will be very annoying. It's 2 lane roads with lots of stoplight the entire way. There is no "easy" way to get from there to Flint Hills. You have at least 30 minutes of driving each way. Prior Lake Schools are pretty good, Shakopee schools are pretty much at the bottom of the list for suburban schools. The schools in the neighboring communities around Flint Hills are significantly better than Shakopee for sure, overall better than Prior Lake. I guess I don't see why you would intentionally give yourself a crappy commute when the choices near by are better.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:50 AM

Shakopee schools are bad -- since when?

And couldn't you take Cnty Rd 42 straight across to Rosemount, or Hwy 13? It may take 20-30 minutes but it's not TERRIBLE...

Old 02-21-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Shakopee schools are bad -- since when?

And couldn't you take Cnty Rd 42 straight across to Rosemount, or Hwy 13? It may take 20-30 minutes but it's not TERRIBLE...
Again, 2 lane road with stoplights every few blocks...not what I consider a "good" commute but other's might not like it. Shakopee schools are not the best in the metro--not inner city horrible but why have a 30 minute commute to go to sub-par schools when you can have a 3 mile commute with top schools?? We frequently drive out to Shakopee for golf (driving range there), it's 35 minutes, non-rush hour if you catch the lights, 45 if you don't.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Again, 2 lane road with stoplights every few blocks...not what I consider a "good" commute but other's might not like it. Shakopee schools are not the best in the metro--not inner city horrible but why have a 30 minute commute to go to sub-par schools when you can have a 3 mile commute with top schools?? We frequently drive out to Shakopee for golf (driving range there), it's 35 minutes, non-rush hour if you catch the lights, 45 if you don't.
Yeah...those lights DO suck. What I personally hate even more is the 0-50 mph roads in suburbia -- they are gluttons for gasoline! Stop, zoom, stop, zoom.....I can just FEEL the money being squeezed out of my pocket! That being said, there is a LOT on Cnty. Rd 42 that may appeal to the OP that is inbetween work and home (if they lived in Shakopee/Prior Lake), and needless-to-say, there is a LOT to do in Shakopee/Prior Lake, and both are growing at a pretty substantial clip right now, and Shakopee at least is somewhat ethnically and racially diverse. I know Apple Valley and Rosemount are getting better in that regard, but I'd say they are clearly behind Shakopee.

I don't have a bias either way I guess, just a small personal preference for Shakopee since it's such an interesting place (as suburbs go). Just trying to bring up both POVs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul