Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 05:21 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,909,351 times

Advertisements

I prefer to stay in edina/richfield/st louis park. Any recommendations? at least three bedrooms. Is this a good move or are you better off buying a house in this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 04:56 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,167,344 times
It really depends on what you want. I know people that prefer townhomes because they don't want to deal with outside maintenance, don't want to live in an apartment either so it's a good compromise. I would try to find one that has one level living as much as possible as resale is better on those. Our oldest is looking to buy a townhome mainly because he has bad allergies and cutting the grass is not a good thing for him. His plans are to live there for however long and then keep it for a rental property down the road. Plans may change but he can buy a townhome for a lot less than renting these days. He has a couple friends that want to rent from him so that makes it even more attractive.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:37 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,909,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It really depends on what you want. I know people that prefer townhomes because they don't want to deal with outside maintenance, don't want to live in an apartment either so it's a good compromise. I would try to find one that has one level living as much as possible as resale is better on those. Our oldest is looking to buy a townhome mainly because he has bad allergies and cutting the grass is not a good thing for him. His plans are to live there for however long and then keep it for a rental property down the road. Plans may change but he can buy a townhome for a lot less than renting these days. He has a couple friends that want to rent from him so that makes it even more attractive.
golfgal do you know any good townhomes? because the rental prices on a 3 bedroom are just way too outrageous.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,152,957 times
Where do you come from? What were prices like there?

You could probably find CRAZY good deals on townhomes in the suburbs, where they are largely overbuilt (GolfGal, you may know...). Places like Shakopee, Lakeville, Apple Valley, Woodbury, Maple Grove, etc. come to mind. In Edina I know of some CHEAP townhomes/condos near 65th and Barrie Rd, near Southdale and the Galleria. I saw some floating below $100K a while back, so you may want to look into that area in www.zillow.com

Old 02-21-2012, 12:18 PM

332 posts, read 820,248 times
Town-homes are fine but don't forget about the monthly fees. If you are able to keep up a home I think it is generally cheaper. I saw a home in Minnetonka (great school district) you might like.
13019 Stanton Dr, Minnetonka, MN 55305 MLS# 4122197 - Zillow

Old 02-21-2012, 12:37 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,167,344 times
Well, the monthly fees are a lot of what people like about townhomes--that is what pays for your snow removal, lawn care, etc.

I know our son has been looking at realtor.com in his price range and has come up with a lot in the Eagan and Apple Valley areas. I don't have specifics on them though.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,417,538 times
Like anything, townhouse vs. stand alone home comes down to what you need and want. If you don't want your own private lot, and/or you don't want to deal with snow and lawn or exterior maintenance, townhomes can suit you well, and can be a nicely-priced option.

From my own experience owning a townhome (not in MSP) and also serving two years as our association president, here are a few things to consider if you go that route:

1) Look for a professionally-managed association. This avoids the possibility that *you* will ever end up trying to manage the association (trust me, you don't want to do it), and also minimizes the chances that somebody who doesn't know what they are doing will screw things up.

2) Look at financial statements and specifically cash reserves. A low monthly payment is meaningless if the association is so broke that they collect $2,000 in special assessments each year to pay for basic repairs.

3) Request annual meeting and board meeting minutes for the last year or so, and look carefully for signs of impending problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul