U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-26-2012, 12:10 PM

2,463 posts, read 1,485,900 times
No one lives in Phillips unless they have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-26-2012, 01:48 PM

54 posts, read 41,999 times
no, dont take the duplex because its cheap.....it cheap for a reason....because nobody wants to live there

Unread 03-26-2012, 03:22 PM

9,815 posts, read 12,821,509 times
There may be valid reasons to choose to live in Phillips, but you've got to really know what you're doing. Doing it just because it is cheap is NOT a good move. And given that you describe yousrelf as not very street smart, it is DEFINITELY not a good idea. It is cheap for a reason. It's not worth it. Most people aren't willingly going to rent that place unless they have extremely limited options and budget. It does not sound like you are in that boat. (i.e. sounds like you have some budgetary flexibility and don't have a huge family that you can't fit into a smaller place in a safer location)

Unread 03-26-2012, 08:27 PM

635 posts, read 542,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
I'm not familiar with that part of town at all, but unanimous responses to "should I live here?" queries on CD-MSP are pretty nearly unheard-of, so I'd say that's a good indication to look elsewhere.
That is an excellent point...from commenting here for a little while, I can agree the regular suspects on this forum rarely uniformly agree - we have gotten into all but knock-down, drag-out "e-fights" more than once!

Point being - if we are all saying we wouldn't choose a neighborhood there's a reason. Spend more cash and find a place outside Phillips, you'll likely be happier even if you have less cash for some activities - you'll be able to enjoy your home better.

Unread 03-26-2012, 08:44 PM

1,300 posts, read 980,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakeinvasion View Post
The only reason we're considering it is because we found a huge duplex for extremely cheap in the area. To me, it sounds like living here isn't worth the hassle of dealing with shady folk, I am definitely not very street smart.
You should pay the extra $100 a month it costs to live somewhere else.

Phillips is a lot better than it used to be and it isn't a horrible ghetto compared to most cities but still you would be 2 blocks from the highest crime area of the city. There is no reason to live there when the rest of the city is pretty cheap.

Unread 03-26-2012, 09:37 PM

4,922 posts, read 7,834,414 times
If you can disclose it, what type of rent are we talking? Chances are you can find a similar monthly rent in a more attractive area. For example, really cheap rent is available in neighborhoods like Whittier, Lyndale, Powderhorn Park, etc. and they are all better areas and with more going on. All of these neighborhoods are within a mile or two from where you're currently looking. I'm not convinced that Phillips is an unliveable community, but it has a ways to go before I would consider buying/renting there. One problem is that in almost any block there you will find multiple properties that are condemned, vacant, or in very poor condition. Another problem is the multiple concentrated areas of low-income housing located there (Little Earth, high-rise public housing buildings, etc.). Finally, besides the commercial activity on Franklin Ave and Lake St there are essentially no draws to the area. In other words, there is very little to be found inside a fairly large geographic area in regards to restaurants/bars/entertainment/destinations in the entire Phillips community, except for maybe the Swedish Institute and there are a few other houses of architectual significance that are worth checking out down Portland and Park Aves specifically. In most parts of the neighborhood it wouldn't be convenient to live anywhere between 24th-26th St because you'd have to go 4-5 blocks to get anywhere to shop or find a coffee shop, restaurant, etc. If I had to live anywhere in Phillips right now I'd make a point to live close to 29th St on a street that had an entrance ramp to the Midtown Greenway so I could bike over to Uptown or to the River with ease. My other choice if I lived in Phillips would be to get a condo in the Midtown Exchange Building (formerly the Sears building) so I'd have direct access to the Midtown Global Market...that would actually be a pretty sweet set-up.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 03-26-2012 at 10:07 PM..

Unread 03-27-2012, 06:42 PM

5,151 posts, read 2,297,387 times
Just looked at 2011 statistics for violent crimes by neighborhood. Philips had 288 violent crimes. Among neighborhoods outside downtown, that was tops on the list. So it is no myth. Philips still is worst for violent crime. If houses or rents are cheap, it could be because they have to give a discount for that.

Unread 03-28-2012, 01:12 PM

2,654 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Phillips is super pocketed to the same extent that the majority of Northside neighborhoods are. Good spots and bad throughout. Unless I got extremely cheap rent on a quiet block, I probably wouldnt seek out living there. I like living in South Minneapolis but I would take Powderhorn or Corcoran over Phillips any day of the week.

Unread 03-28-2012, 01:28 PM

9,021 posts, read 6,381,945 times
I lived for a year or so in a nice big 6-plex on 21st and Chicago. The most serious problem we ever encountered was the occasional bum stumbling over from the Liquor Store and sleeping on the porch. Chef Cafe served up a nice breakfast and if trouble did happen, it was nice to know that the hospital was nearby.

But then again, that was before the invention of the compact disc and years later I saw my old house go up in flames on the local news because of some meth lab explosion.

Last edited by Ghengis; 03-28-2012 at 02:43 PM..

Unread 03-28-2012, 03:49 PM

5,151 posts, read 2,297,387 times
Another "privilege" of living in Philips is probably the guys with massive woofers who love to get out on the street, crank it to the max, and simulate earthquakes in the neighborhood. But Minneapolis is full of what I consider great neighborhoods. I'd suggest an area like Philips who fit in with the lifestyle which might be summarized as Urban Ghetto. I do think people with appropriate cultural tastes gravitate there. Me, I like the urban part, but I prefer neighbors who are rational enough to realize that their amusements shouldn't be involuntarily shared. Many places, you don't even have to call 911 to report public drunkenness, loud music at 2am, etc. People just do it privately if at all. So "know thyself" and then you can find where you'll most like to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul