Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:42 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I always maintain that 99% of "race" is actually "class". Eddie Murphy, Halle Berry & Oprah aren't flash mobbing people. Racial attacks seem to come from the bottom rung of the socio-economic ladder, regardless of who's committing them. If some dirt-poor, Hillbilly, Klansman kills a Black guy in Arkansas that too is just a small % of people who think like that, not proof positive that racism is widespread in America, so maybe the better question is why does the media sensationalize some attacks & not others?
Actually, I have thought about class. I don't recall a group of middle-upper class Blacks attacking Whites. I don't recall such actions coming from upper class Whites either. Why the media sensationalizes some things and not others, I can't think of a reason. Maybe I'm a bit more sensitive and more sentimental than most people, but this crap actually does scare me for reasons including, but going beyond safety. I know that a blog called stuffblackpeopledontlike.com has seized upon these "flash mobs" and basically tries to day "Black people are a plague, avoid them". And I doubt this is some uneducated, dirt poor person making this website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 09:12 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MChugN View Post
My personal reaction? Nothing. I'm a rural Minnesotan that travels to the cities often for vacation, concerts, etc. Although it's slightly intimidating, It's not at all going to stop me from going downtown and enjoying myself. I'll be taking the same precautions I always take going to the great city of Minneapolis.
Really? I live 30 mins from Mpls and avoid it like the plague. I don't know what is worse, the flash mobs or the bicycle riders.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
This makes me want to go to downtown now. I'm going to start a hipster gang and we'll run these evil doers down with our fixed gears and bash them over the head with pounders of PBR.
I took my wife and daughter downtown once years ago to go the 8th floor of Daytons--some kind of Christmas show or something. Anyway about 6 thugs followed us when we left walking towards the parking ramp. They started talking their trash to us about how I should give them money and what they were going to do to me ect. I turned around and said "let's party" There's 6 of you and 1 of me but I'm going to grab ahold of one of you and you are going to wish you weren't born when I'm done with you" I'm 6'2 and at the time around 200. All you have to do is talk back to them and they back right off, most of them are cowards.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:46 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
MPD has published citywide crime figures for first quarter 2012. Total crime is up 18%. Meanwhile, the mayor goes mosh-pitting for a photo op. Heck, I think even his neighbors are suffering increased crime. They should be knocking on his door and complaining.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:55 PM

411 posts, read 992,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Really? I live 30 mins from Mpls and avoid it like the plague. I don't know what is worse, the flash mobs or the bicycle riders.
We thank you for avoiding our city.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:14 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
And now is there any way we can convince these vagabond youth to entertain themselves elsewhere, too? How about lots and lots of fines? Maybe if they lose their smartphones, their bling, and a few other prizes, they'll seek other amusements.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:36 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have a feeling if any of this was reported, Black people as a whole would be hated all over the USA. The thing is, these violent acts aren't being committed by the majority of Blacks. It's a small part of the Black population doing this. However, if this did get out on the national news, I think Blacks would be hated nationwide.
If that were the reasoning, it would actually be incredibly poor in terms of journalistic standards. Reporting on the harm of many at a public event trumps the potential backlash a group faces. I don't necessarily mean that as my public opinion, but as a journalism major, we have to discuss such sticky situations. I know if I were an editor of a newspaper, I'd be running a story about a crazy mob at a state fair, regardless of the color of the people.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
We thank you for avoiding our city.

You're welcome. I intend to continue.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:26 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
If that were the reasoning, it would actually be incredibly poor in terms of journalistic standards. Reporting on the harm of many at a public event trumps the potential backlash a group faces. I don't necessarily mean that as my public opinion, but as a journalism major, we have to discuss such sticky situations. I know if I were an editor of a newspaper, I'd be running a story about a crazy mob at a state fair, regardless of the color of the people.
From a journalist perspective, yes, it would definitely make sense to report on everything, no matter how sticky it is.

From a social perspective, it scares me because I know if everything were to be reported, I would personally face a backlash, someway, somewhere. I can't help but think of the backlash, being an African-American male and living in the USA.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:34 PM

411 posts, read 992,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You're welcome. I intend to continue.
I gotta ask, why are you here rather than the Minnesota forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul