Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 03:11 PM

23 posts, read 40,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
6th street straight through downtown is my favorite "trick," because you use the left lane on 394, which moves 40-55 MPH between 100 and 94, while the right lane crawls. It might not always be faster, but it's easy, probably less dangerous, and more interesting.

6th street backs up a little from Hennepin to 5th Avenue, but then you generally catch a wave of green lights the rest of the way to the E. 94 entrance. Some days, traffic moves surprisingly well in downtown, but the real pleasure is completely bypassing the right lane of 394, as well as the most dangerous portion of 94.
Why not take 4th Street instead of 6th Street? That's what I don't get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
NO!! OMG, do you seriously promote cutting in line? If everybody cheated the backup would be WORSE and it would be in all 3-4 lanes! Besides, cutting is wrong, morally. If you know there is only one lane to be in to exit the freeway, and you purposely drive out of that lane and sneak in later, you are cutting in line. To me, it's no different than if you're waiting in line at McDonalds and there are two registers and a long single line forming behind them, and you decide to start your own line at one of the registers. I can't stand people like that!
MNDOT recommends using both lanes and then zippering together. Everyone should know this. It's just common sense that traffic would move more quickly for everyone if this approach was used. Some of you need to learn how to drive. You're causing the problem by only using one lane.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftlinux View Post
When I drive Interstate 394 eastbound, I move to the left lane at Highway 100. I've learned to always assume that the traffic onto eastbound Interstate 94 is backed up. If that turns out to not be true (and my destination is east of downtown Minneapolis), I can move to the right lane later on.
Exactly! The more lanes that are used, the better off everyone will be.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:52 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theweekend View Post
MNDOT recommends using both lanes and then zippering together. Everyone should know this. It's just common sense that traffic would move more quickly for everyone if this approach was used. Some of you need to learn how to drive. You're causing the problem by only using one lane.
The next lane over in this situation is for the I-94W exit. Traffic has to slow down more for the I-94E exit because of the curve to it. Two lanes "zippering" to the I-94E exit would block an otherwise completely clear I-94W.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:29 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theweekend View Post
Not when there's a line, it's not a zip, it's a cut. At the end of the day, you know in your gut what is right and wrong in that situation and by making the decision to cut you are essentially cheating in disguise of a "zipper rule" that only exists in YOUR mind.

Is that also why there is sometimes a State Trooper there to nab people who "cut"?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:31 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
The next lane over in this situation is for the I-94W exit. Traffic has to slow down more for the I-94E exit because of the curve to it. Two lanes "zippering" to the I-94E exit would block an otherwise completely clear I-94W.
Right. Just do the right thing people -- the world has enough a-holes!

Old 06-23-2012, 09:33 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post

Is that also why there is sometimes a State Trooper there to nab people who "cut"?
Are you positive that the State Trooper is pulling people over for that? I wasn't aware of a traffic law prohibiting people from switching lanes, regardless of where the lane change takes place.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:56 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Are you positive that the State Trooper is pulling people over for that? I wasn't aware of a traffic law prohibiting people from switching lanes, regardless of where the lane change takes place.
As long as you do so courteously (a frantic gesturing of the arms is beneficial), I'm pretty sure you can barge in wherever and whenever it suits your fancy as long as paint is left unmarred.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:01 PM

833 posts, read 1,713,851 times
When someone zips past me, then wants to cut in, they won't find me giving 2inches of space. !

Old 06-23-2012, 02:41 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
When someone zips past me, then wants to cut in, they won't find me giving 2inches of space. !
that's ok, I only need an inch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul