U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 04:29 PM

20,797 posts, read 33,005,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
There are other studies which show that ivies and elite engineering schools have the best career return on investment, even with the additional upfront cost. The top schools like Harvard, MIT and Stanford have all made tuition free for students coming from households making less than $80,000 per year. There is still a little bit of "finishing school" at places like Harvard and Yale but that's mostly a vestige of a past era. Extremely rich people tend to send their kids to places like bennington because the ivies are too academically competitive. Elite engineering schools are completely academically meritocratic. In comparison, expensive state schools, art schools, religious oriented schools, and small private schools are proving to be very bad investments, with negative career ROI.

My point is that if the OP knows her kid wants to go to Stanford, she should do more research than just send her kid to Edina and hope for the best.
In California, kids in say, Cupertino, are all trying to go to Stanford, so the school is geared accordingly. In Minnesota, even the best public schools are not really set up as feeders to elite schools outside of Minnesota.
Based on my experience with 1000's of high school students around the state, you are just flat out wrong.....and those that do stay instate realize that they don't need to spend $250,000 on a college education because it gets them $10,000/year more to work in Boston, which actually equates to about $20,000/year less in spending power because the cost of living in Boston is so high....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 04:35 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,064,557 times
The differences between the U of MN and Harvard are not what you portray. Going to U of MN for four years, in state costs over $90K once you add up tuition, living costs and fees. Going to Harvard for four years is $210K. As i said before, if you get into Harvard,and your family makes less than 80 grand, going to Harvard is free. The average lifetime earnings of a U of MN grad are less than $300K. The average lifetime earnings of a Harvard grad are over 1.1 million dollars. This is not to mention qualitative differences in careers. A Harvard degree automatically opens doors to top graduate and law schools, careers in government (7 presidents with degrees from Harvard; 0 from Minnesota), interviews at top companies, and so forth. Even with things you wouldn't necessarily think of, like creative careers such as being a TV writer for the Simpsons or Conan O'Brien or 30 Rock; those writers all come from Harvard. It is possible to break into careers like this with a degree from U of MN but a lot harder.

Top engineering schools are even better for future earnings and access to cutting edge work. Harvy Mudd, MIT, Caltech and Stanford top the list for ROI. The quality of education is simply much better because there are better profs, more money, better students, little to no emphasis on sports (with exception of Stanford) and other party-time sideshows which are the main focus of big state schools.

If you have experience with 1000s of students, which schools in MN are sending kids to MIT and Stanford? Based on the OP's actual question, which schools are the best for voice, theatre and math? Do those schools send kids off into successful careers in voice, theatre and math?

Last edited by rzzz; 04-24-2012 at 05:31 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 04:55 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,695,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Most of Iowa fought for the South in the Civil War.
Some folks call it the "War of Northern Aggression" down in these parts.

I personally like people from Iowa ... some of my best friends are Iwegians. Etc.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:27 PM

567 posts, read 503,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Most of Iowa fought for the South in the Civil War.
This is false. Or at least it is according to anything I can find. Iowa was a Union state.

Personally, I think the Minnesota/Iowa "rivalry" is largely about Minnesota (specifically the Twin Cities and more Minneapolis proper) needing to feel better about how big city it is. My experience in Iowa is that Iowan's don't even think about Minnesota much (even in parts where Minnesota was the closest bordering state). This might be because Iowa has more border states and the rivalries need to be spread around to more states.

Further off topic, I'd guess if Zygi Wilf was spotted talking to city/state leaders in Cedar Rapids or Des Moines that Minnesota would be begging to build the Viking's a new stadium overnight. You could sub in Omaha or anywhere in the Dakotas for the same effect. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the fact that Zygi hasn't "accidently" been spotted in one of these places means that he doesn't understand Minnesota that well. Or, perhaps he is only using Minnesota as leverage to get a better deal out of where ever he plans on moving (they already did this with Anoka County).

Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 PM

5,146 posts, read 4,637,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Tone it down Iowa boy....MN is right there with IA in terms of education! Plus, not all of us give a shucks about the French Revolution.
shessh! Lighten up Frances!!!
Bet you live in the Citys!

Old 04-24-2012, 06:33 PM

5,146 posts, read 4,637,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Ah, this must be an example of the infamous MN-IA rivalry that I've heard so much about. What's the deal regarding that anyway? I'm not from either state (although, I hope to move to The Cities one day in the hopefully not so distant future) so if someone would be so kind as to hip this Philly boy to the history behind the animosity, I would greatly appreciate it.
WHy does the wind blow so hard in Minesota?
Because Iowa sucks!!!

See equal oppertunity

Old 04-24-2012, 08:46 PM

2,820 posts, read 2,126,140 times
"Cake eater" is a term that implies that the Edina residents are wealthy aristocrats, and comes from the quote attributed to Marie Antionette during the French Revolution, "Let them eat cake."
Let them eat cake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 PM

2,820 posts, read 2,126,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post
This is false. Or at least it is according to anything I can find. Iowa was a Union state.

Personally, I think the Minnesota/Iowa "rivalry" is largely about Minnesota (specifically the Twin Cities and more Minneapolis proper) needing to feel better about how big city it is. My experience in Iowa is that Iowan's don't even think about Minnesota much (even in parts where Minnesota was the closest bordering state). This might be because Iowa has more border states and the rivalries need to be spread around to more states.
I believe that was a joke, though I appreciate that Ghengis' sense of humor may be an acquired taste.

The MN/IA thing is a simple border rivalry and has no specific roots. I don't think most people here in the Cities think about it too much either, as they're focused on keeping the 'Sconies out.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 PM

5,531 posts, read 6,099,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
shessh! Lighten up Frances!!!
Bet you live in the Citys!
Hee haw!

Old 04-24-2012, 11:57 PM

1,807 posts, read 740,874 times
I went to Mpls SW High School, which is 3 blocks from the Edina border, basically on 50th/France. Every year Mpls SW vs Edina was the season opener for High School hockey, so it was a rivalry & a prime time game that set the tone for the year. I remember going to the game at Edina as a Freshman & instead of them chanting "We've got spirit, yes we do, we've got spirit, how about yoouu?" they instead chanted "We've got money, yes we do, we got money, how about yooou?" Then they beat us 4-0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul