U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 PM

20,804 posts, read 29,259,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
No, I am not. I am demonstrating that your statement that there were 20-30 kids in Southwest's IB program was wildly inaccurate. Nice try at changing the subject from your error, though. So, we get that retraction now?
Run the numbers yourself....starting with those numbers are only for seniors and only the full IB students that passed the test so starting with 7.9% of the senior class...then work from there...

Just reread the IB link Glenfield posted--there are 250 juniors and seniors in the IB classes, so if you take half those kids for each grade, 125 each, using USNWR numbers, that #1 ranking is based on 51 kids, not 88 at SW--wow, there is a representative sample of the school....not....

Last edited by golfgal; 05-12-2012 at 05:03 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,683,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
88 kids at Southwest passed an IB test....according to USSWR that is..feel free to run the numbers yourself
Wow! How can that be if there are only "20 or 30" kids in the program? Something doesn't add up here... What could be wrong with these numbers. Hmmm....

Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,683,647 times
Quote:
Run the numbers yourself....starting with those numbers are only for seniors and only the full IB students that passed the test so starting with 7.9% of the senior class...then work from there...
You simply cannot admit that you made a mistake, can you? You said there were 20-30 kids in the program. You were wrong. There. I said it for you. Case closed.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 PM

9,945 posts, read 13,575,047 times
Quote:
88 kids at Southwest passed an IB test....according to USSWR that is..feel free to run the numbers yourself
Perhaps my Minneapolis Public Schools education has failed me, but I was under the impression that 88 is higher than 20 or 30.

As for some of the other comments, I suggest that you familiarize yourself with the IB program. The 7.3 % was the percentage of high school seniors attempting the full IB Diploma. That involves quite a bit more than just taking the tests (a thesis-like essay, a formal community service program, etc.) and many students don't go the full route. Many more students participate in the IB program but choose not to go the full diploma route. (For all of its strengths, going for the full Diploma DOES mean a highly restricted schedule, and not everyone, even those who are serious about school, are willing to give up that course flexibility)

Old 05-08-2012, 07:42 PM

429 posts, read 714,978 times
Taken from Southwest's website:
The IB participation rate at Southwest High School is 73 percent. The student body makeup is 48 percent male and 52 percent female, and the total minority enrollment is 35 percent.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:48 PM

5,231 posts, read 8,994,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I heard through the Star Tribune that a lot of North Minneapolis residents were potentially transferring and preferring Southwest over options like Henry or "New North High"......Does anyone think this could negatively impact the scores (NOT because they are possibly minorities, but rather because kids from the poorest areas of cities don't have the same educational encouragement in the household)? Or has this transition already taken place -- and the scores stayed high?
If this was true, St Paul Central wouldn't be on this list.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:31 PM

109 posts, read 110,396 times
[quote=[B]golfgal[/b]

Feel free to keep thinking that SW is actually a "good" school, it is a school that has a handful of good students, that is quite different. What about the other 8o% of the kids that aren't graduating or barely pass their classes, let's talk about them for a while shall we? How about the 95+% graduation rate in the other schools around the state? How about talking about a meaningful measure of a school vs kids taking, yes TAKING, but not PASSING a test, one test....

I don't understand this statement. SW has a 97% graduation rate in line with every other elite school in the state. SW has a good reputation around the metro area. Is your argument that SW is a bad school? Could you please enlighten us about the other 80%--because I know somebody, from Edina, who sends their child there because of the geographical location--please let me know how bad SW is so I can tell him to get her out of that school.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 PM

4,927 posts, read 8,145,046 times
Quote:
to Southwest's 20 or 30 kids in the IB program...meaningless....
Quote:
What about the other 8o% of the kids that aren't graduating or barely pass their classes, let's talk about them for a while shall we?
Could you cite where you're getting your data on these two points please? They seem to be conflicting with data I'm pulling. Appreciated.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:59 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,338,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I heard through the Star Tribune that a lot of North Minneapolis residents were potentially transferring and preferring Southwest over options like Henry or "New North High"......Does anyone think this could negatively impact the scores (NOT because they are possibly minorities, but rather because kids from the poorest areas of cities don't have the same educational encouragement in the household)? Or has this transition already taken place -- and the scores stayed high?
Correction to your statement and the follow-up commentary to it- the article's focus was on the "New North" HS and how students that live in Its geographic enrollment area are largely selecting Mpls- Henry, charter schools, suburban and/or other Mpls schools like SW. Nowhere is there an implication that Henry's feeder area is choosing SW or that Henry is having any difficulties with enrollment- in fact the opposite is true.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 PM

9,945 posts, read 13,575,047 times
Quote:
Again, you are comparing 1/3 of a school population to schools where 70+% of the kids take at least 1 AP test....again, the results are meaningless as it does not evaluate any output data and as northsub pointed out, only 48% of those kids are passing the tests, that is more telling than anything I think....

Feel free to keep thinking that SW is actually a "good" school, it is a school that has a handful of good students, that is quite different. What about the other 8o% of the kids that aren't graduating or barely pass their classes, let's talk about them for a while shall we? How about the 95+% graduation rate in the other schools around the state? How about talking about a meaningful measure of a school vs kids taking, yes TAKING, but not PASSING a test, one test....

Also, if you examine the data from USNWR, only 73% of the seniors in the IB program took an IB test, and of those kids they averaged a little over 2 tests each and only 66% passing rate on those tests and only 7.9% of the student body is full IB, so again you are comparing a VERY small portion of that school to the majority of the kids at the other schools....
This really makes no sense on so many levels.

Where do you get this stuff? Why are you so determined to "prove" that Southwest is a bad school?

Granted, I don't think Southwest is the ONLY good school in the Twin Cities, or that it's even possible to claim that one school is "best" (and think the only people who would claim such a thing are those who want to sell magazines), but by all indicators Southwest is certainly providing a high-quality education to its students. Of course if you just make up numbers I guess it's possible to "prove" whatever you want...

And again, a lot of kids who are not "full" IB DO take IB tests!

And why would the report only compare a tiny percentage of the student body to the entire student body of every other Minnesota school? That also makes no sense.

If you believe Southwest is NOT a "good school", then does that mean you think it is a bad school? A mediocre school? And, if so, then what is your rationale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul