U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2012, 12:04 PM
 
573 posts, read 936,808 times
Reputation: 471

Advertisements

Go to dc. You will not like it here
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2012, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,944,169 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Think about what you want to do 5 years down the line. It's pretty easy in MN to cruise at your $60K Target Corp job for the rest of your life. That is my entire extended family. If that is what you want to do, that is fine. But make sure it's what you want to do. Because you are not easily going to move from working at Target Corp back to being a consultant in DC. But you could easily move from being a consultant in DC to working at Target Corp.
The CEO from Best Buy (now resigned) worked his way up from an entry-level salesman to the CEO. Minnesota guy, Minnesota company. Your examples are "trollish" since nothing you say ever makes sense or has an ounce of truth to it. If you don't like MN that's fine, tell that to the OP and try stating facts, but if you're going to suggest something like the OP could never become what he could in DC in MN, I think you're REALLY stretching on that one (and that's not the first time, is it?).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2012, 10:19 PM
 
1,971 posts, read 2,689,749 times
Reputation: 2199
It's easier to move from consulting to corporate than vice versa. People move to DC when they are young and want an exciting job and social life, and move to MN to work at Target when they want to settle down and raise a family. I'm not saying anything radical. Must have hit a nerve.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,944,169 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
It's easier to move from consulting to corporate than vice versa. People move to DC when they are young and want an exciting job and social life, and move to MN to work at Target when they want to settle down and raise a family. I'm not saying anything radical. Must have hit a nerve.
"cruise at your $60K Target Corp job for the rest of your life"

These are your words, are they not? Did you really expect no response to this statement, or that nobody would at least question it? This statement itself has no merit whatsoever....your follow-up to it -- to raise a family in MN and "settle down" vs. life the "high life" -- is a bit more accurate though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 10:51 AM
 
1,971 posts, read 2,689,749 times
Reputation: 2199
My whole comment was "It's pretty easy in MN to cruise at your $60K Target Corp job for the rest of your life." I don't see what's incorrect about that. Many people, including most of my family and many of my friends in the area would consider that a good thing. If it is offensive, I apologize.

I don't think going to DC and working long hours at $50K living the high life. It's the opposite of that. It is a grind. DC isn't Beverly Hills, and $50K is borderline being broke in DC. However, I do not think MN offers the same experience or number of opportunities to advance, or even meet other similar young people. A lot of young people are in the same boat there. Thus, you will meet loads of people and bond over your shared experience. In Minnesota, people tend to hang out with the same people they knew from high school, or their extended families.

Also, while the initial salary in DC is not amazing, it would only be temporary. People job hop for advancement all the time. In Minnesota this is not very common. People tend to have the same job for extremely long periods of time. I remember my aunt took a part time retail position in Roseville when her kids reached teenage years. She is still there, 15 years later. I do not think the parts where I said it is easier to move from consulting to corporate are wrong. I also think if she wants to move to DC, it is much easier to do it now, as an unattached young person, than it is to do it later in life.

Finally, this young person is from Atlanta. I live in Atlanta now. From what I have learned about people in my brief time in the area, I personally do not think many Atlantans would enjoy the Minnesota experience. DC is a better match. I could be totally off base, but that is my opinion. MN is a nice place with a lot going for it, but that does not mean it's for everyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 AM
 
3,757 posts, read 7,942,711 times
Reputation: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Think about what you want to do 5 years down the line. It's pretty easy in MN to cruise at your $60K Target Corp job for the rest of your life. That is my entire extended family. If that is what you want to do, that is fine. But make sure it's what you want to do. Because you are not easily going to move from working at Target Corp back to being a consultant in DC. But you could easily move from being a consultant in DC to working at Target Corp.
I just saw your post and wanted to jump in and add that where you choose really depends on your long term plan. If MN is a stop and you plan to live elsewhere and move around often - I would really consider DC -despite the financial benefits of MN. If you are focused on saving and plan to be hereto raise a family or settle down then MN.

If I were in your shoes despite the financial advantage I would choose DC in a heartbeat.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 11:01 AM
 
3,757 posts, read 7,942,711 times
Reputation: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
My whole comment was "It's pretty easy in MN to cruise at your $60K Target Corp job for the rest of your life." I don't see what's incorrect about that. Many people, including most of my family and many of my friends in the area would consider that a good thing. If it is offensive, I apologize.

I don't think going to DC and working long hours at $50K living the high life. It's the opposite of that. It is a grind. DC isn't Beverly Hills, and $50K is borderline being broke in DC. However, I do not think MN offers the same experience or number of opportunities to advance, or even meet other similar young people. A lot of young people are in the same boat there. Thus, you will meet loads of people and bond over your shared experience. In Minnesota, people tend to hang out with the same people they knew from high school, or their extended families.

Also, while the initial salary in DC is not amazing, it would only be temporary. People job hop for advancement all the time. In Minnesota this is not very common. People tend to have the same job for extremely long periods of time. I remember my aunt took a part time retail position in Roseville when her kids reached teenage years. She is still there, 15 years later. I do not think the parts where I said it is easier to move from consulting to corporate are wrong. I also think if she wants to move to DC, it is much easier to do it now, as an unattached young person, than it is to do it later in life.

Finally, this young person is from Atlanta. I live in Atlanta now. From what I have learned about people in my brief time in the area, I personally do not think many Atlantans would enjoy the Minnesota experience. DC is a better match. I could be totally off base, but that is my opinion. MN is a nice place with a lot going for it, but that does not mean it's for everyone.
Completely agree. Minneapolis is a great city, but for someone not from here, thinking about an advanced degree that travels well elsewhere - with an offer from a DC consulting firm -its not about comfort or income, it is about opportunity and experience that travels well. If it were me, or my child - no competition DC, DC, DC.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,944,169 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
My whole comment was "It's pretty easy in MN to cruise at your $60K Target Corp job for the rest of your life." I don't see what's incorrect about that. Many people, including most of my family and many of my friends in the area would consider that a good thing. If it is offensive, I apologize.

I don't think going to DC and working long hours at $50K living the high life. It's the opposite of that. It is a grind. DC isn't Beverly Hills, and $50K is borderline being broke in DC. However, I do not think MN offers the same experience or number of opportunities to advance, or even meet other similar young people. A lot of young people are in the same boat there. Thus, you will meet loads of people and bond over your shared experience. In Minnesota, people tend to hang out with the same people they knew from high school, or their extended families.

Also, while the initial salary in DC is not amazing, it would only be temporary. People job hop for advancement all the time. In Minnesota this is not very common. People tend to have the same job for extremely long periods of time. I remember my aunt took a part time retail position in Roseville when her kids reached teenage years. She is still there, 15 years later. I do not think the parts where I said it is easier to move from consulting to corporate are wrong. I also think if she wants to move to DC, it is much easier to do it now, as an unattached young person, than it is to do it later in life.

Finally, this young person is from Atlanta. I live in Atlanta now. From what I have learned about people in my brief time in the area, I personally do not think many Atlantans would enjoy the Minnesota experience. DC is a better match. I could be totally off base, but that is my opinion. MN is a nice place with a lot going for it, but that does not mean it's for everyone.
And I was saying that you CAN advance from the bottom of the opportunity ladder to the top in MN, while in DC and politics, it's who you know or who's your daddy. I think there is a glass ceiling for most human beings in DC.

I think you need to stop using examples of your family as the general concensus for all people in MN, because I don't know ONE person who hasn't advanced their careers in MN or become complacent and cruise along in life. You can't apply the 1 or 2 odd examples in your life to a city of 3+ million! I think you mean well but I'm finding myself shocked by 75% of the things you are saying!

I don't disagree that DC is probably a more exciting place with more young people in a similar grind.....so if that's key for the OP then he should strongly consider DC. It SOUNDS as though he made up his mind on Minneapolis already though.....but it's never too late to hear good information, IMO!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 05:45 PM
 
1,971 posts, read 2,689,749 times
Reputation: 2199
I don't think that is quite accurate. The president himself is a black guy from hawaii who started off with no important connections. In fact, D.C. is probably one of the easiest places in the USA for a nobody to make a name for him or herself, just look at how many losers there are in American politics. (but I digress)

Whether or not there are career ceilings in either place, the types of work available in each place are very different. Really it boils down to does she want to do consulting or work at Target corp. My personal feeling is that one who feels an inclination to consult, will not be happy working at Target corp, and vise versa. They require almost the opposite personalities and tastes. In the DC version of the thread it sounded like she was more interested in consultant work.

Finally, I have a huge extended family in MN who can trace their roots to ancestors who came to Minnesota over 100 years ago. Through them I know at least 1000 other Minnesotans through close and loose ties. I believe I have pretty representative of view of Minnesota and the type of people who live there, in pretty much all areas besides the southwest corner and the western middle part of the state. I can tell you why you are shocked, because you are a Minnesotan at heart and such people are always "shocked" whenever anyone talks about the state like I am. My mother goes livid. People in other states don't have this issue (besides maybe Texas) and are often their own worst critics.

Last edited by rzzz; 05-14-2012 at 06:02 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Behind You!
1,954 posts, read 3,857,360 times
Reputation: 2728
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyoweii View Post
As I really LOVE the lifestyle in big cities, I will pick washington dc location wise without hesitation.
I would say DC METRO with METRO being the key work, Alexandria, Fairfax, Arlington, VA. Are all awesome cities. DC itself is a cesspool. I live here in VA and unfortunately I'm in DC a lot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top