U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:08 AM

32 posts, read 61,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
IWhat confuses me, however, is how there can be so many people that are seemingly so obcessed with (and harbor such irrational fear about) issues of crime, poverty, and quality of life in neighborhoods they know nothing about; yet, rather than do something positive and productive like volunteer at a community center or nonprofit agency that serves that neighborhood (and try to become more informed/ better people in general), they devote hours upon hours to bashing/ slinging mud at these neighborhoods and their residents on boards like this. Get a life!!!!
Thank you for saying that Camden. I normally don't respond on the forums, but I have had it with these race baiting and bad neighborhood threads that have ben popping up lately.
Hmmm, I guess I am just a glutton for ghettos, living in NOMI and going to school at Metro State.
Trust me people, you want to see "ghetto", "crime infested", and "shady people", come to where I actually grew up (South Dallas/Oak Cliff - where the lead on the news most days was a shooting). The East Side of St Paul (as with most places in this world) is safe, as long as you take the same precautions you do anywhere else in public.
Leaving your wallet sitting out and turning your back to it, ummmm, that just isn't smart.
People sitting on their front steps hanging out - This doesn't mean they are crackheads or homeless, remember a lot of people in MPLS and StP don't have a/c, so they sit on their front steps. It is a pretty common occurrence in parts of both cities, including my neighborhood.
Ghetto-Looking houses - hmmm, sorry to say this, but most of the "ghetto looking" houses in my neighborhood are rentals owned by absentee landlords who live outstate or in the 'burbs of the cities. Don't believe me, check the property records on these houses (they are online).
A point on rentals - you'd be surprised how many people do take pride in the houses the rent (renters and landlords). Just because a house looks a certain way doesn't automatically mean a house is a rental or owner occupied.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:50 PM

1,777 posts, read 3,563,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscavo34 View Post
camden northstar. me going to a charity event is not going to make the crackhead on the corner want to clean up his/her act and get a job so i can stop PAYING for them to do nothing all day but this.
I never said a charity event, although these are important to raise money for the charities doing the work that you think is needed. I said volunteer, as in your time/efforts, at a nonprofit agency or community center that serves that neighborhood (maybe a local job placement agency, or with youth in that neighborhood?). I know that the thought of doing something for someone other than yourself might sound crazy, but it'd probably be a lot more productive way to spend your time and help you to cope with all of that pent-up anger you seem to be harboring.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,661 times
I lived on the east side for 9 years from 1986 to 1995 near case and cypress. It was lousy. The kids were feral and the people were dysfunctional, narrow minded, ugly and rude. Lots of unemployed factory people, seedy bars on most corners, lots of shoestring businesses and cheaply patched up homes. I moved to the midway area and things were far better. I have driven through the area a couple times since and it seems to have gotten worse. Whoever bought my old home has put a lot of effort into it remodeling it but I can't figure out why. I make it a point to stay out of there.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,229 times
I have just finished rehabbing a lovely house at 738 Van Buren (Van Buren + Grotto) and am going to sell it to a lucky family. This neighborhood (Frogtown or Thomas-Dale - whichever) is vibrantly multicultural. As a person with a heavy-duty cooking habit, I LOVE the food stores. And I love that I can hear several different languages when I'm shopping. Maybe we'll become a "city" after all!

Old 11-15-2010, 11:53 AM

5 posts, read 6,530 times
I live on the East Side and it is straight up trash. Just had my car stolen, and have been harassed by my meth head neighbor every single day since I moved in. I'm a quiet person, I work, I pay my bills, my taxes, keep to myself, and have never experienced such horrible things as when I moved to the East Side. I'm moving and will never come back! TRASH!!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 PM

1,635 posts, read 943,902 times
EastSideSucks, it's a real PITA to live near a meth head, no matter where you live. I lived next door to a couple of 'em in NE Mpls a few years back, it was heartbreaking to watch them ruin their lives (and those of her child and other loved ones). But - meth happens everywhere, and crime too. I've had my car broken into right on Lake Harriet Parkway, next to a block of million dollar homes.

Of course you could move away, to somewhere that crime doesn't happen, where people aren't mean and selfish, where kids respect their elders, and people help out and pick up after each other. Where everybody is employed in useful work, and the business owners treat their people right and pay a fair wage for an honest day's work. Sure, go ahead and move there ... if you can find such a place. Good luck.

And let us know where that place may be - so we can send our welfare cheating, meth head neighbors right on over.

Last edited by audadvnc; 11-15-2010 at 12:45 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 12:26 PM

4,933 posts, read 8,691,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSucks View Post
I live on the East Side and it is straight up trash. Just had my car stolen, and have been harassed by my meth head neighbor every single day since I moved in. I'm a quiet person, I work, I pay my bills, my taxes, keep to myself, and have never experienced such horrible things as when I moved to the East Side. I'm moving and will never come back! TRASH!!
I would never have guessed the tone of this post after seeing the poster's user name ......

Old 11-15-2010, 01:50 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,272,454 times
I lived on the east side for parts of the '80s and '90s. Back then it was the white ghetto. Now the people who made it the white ghetto complain about non-whites comming in and bringing the place down. Classic irony.

I hated living on the east side but it was cheap. The meth head in the 1st floor apartment was always causing problems, threatened to burn down the building because he didn't like the landlord, and was eventually sent to prison. The family next door was always getting into fights, screaming at each other and carrying on like maniacs. One of the kids in the house on the corner was arrested for pulling a knife on one of the neighbors. The police were on the block constantly.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:37 PM

5 posts, read 6,530 times
I love that you people bash me for speaking my mind about a community that has done nothing but go to **** over the years. Where do you live? Plymouth? Woodbury? Have you had your car stolen? Probably not. Does your neighbor harass you through every city agency possible just because she sits at home all day jobless, smoking, and watching the neighborhood for anyone she can to call on for a "violation?" The ***** just called on my other neighbor because she didn't like the bag of leaves he had in the middle of HIS yard...not the sidewalk, not on public or city property, but in the middle of his own damn yard. Excuse him for being 65 and taking his time to rake his own yard. He could just illegally blow them into the street like she does. Do hoodlum children come into your yard and pull up your lawn lights? Kick out all your flowers? Do you have grown men pass out in the front of your yard in the middle of the day? Do you have people drive by your home and smash out your windows because they threw a damn brick at it? No? Well, until you walk a day in my shoes and have to deal with what I do, shut your damn mouth. You're probably the leech of society, waste of space ******* whom has done these things! If not...enjoy your ****ty ass city. I'm out.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:46 PM

1,635 posts, read 943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSucks View Post
Where do you live? Plymouth? Woodbury?
If you look to the right side of the screen, you will notice that all the people that replied to your previous post live in Minneapolis. I live in the Jordan neighborhood of near North Minneapolis, and understand your frustration with crazy neighbors - I've got a few on my block that are just as odd.

But you seem particularly prickly about your experience, and others' reaction to your story. Have you considered attending an anger management class? No joke, you may find things a little easier to take if you talk it out with some people you can trust. Here's a link to an online class you can check out:

http://www.angerclassonline.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul