Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:30 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,536 times

Advertisements

I was looking at the St Paul crime map and the worst part of the city for crime (not surprisingly) is East St Paul, just about any immediate areas along Arcade Street all the way up to Arcade/Maryland. That area around Metropolitan State University is pretty bad too. I was walking around MSU last week and I parked by Maria Ave and 5th Street, I could not believe some of the houses in that block. Very trashy, ghetto looking! Also, they built a "short stay" hotel on Maria Ave and as I was walking, I noticed lots of shady people just sitting on the steps of the houses, I could not tell if they were homeless ppl, drug addicts or what, but some very strange vibes in that area. Also, I will never forget when that St Paul cop was shot(Vick?)..surprisingly by Arcade/Reaney Ave. For those of you considering moving to St Paul, stay away from the East Side..it might not look that bad, but it is very bad!!

Old 09-23-2007, 10:19 PM

18 posts, read 86,499 times
For not caring much for the area you seem to spend enough time there to give your opinion. Are you from the area? I'm a life long East Sider, until recently, and still spend everyday in the area (work- where my children go to school- etc...). It's not a small place (22,500+ residents with 57 different neighborhoods) so giving the entire East Side a negative reputation because of a few neighborhoods (that are propbably high in rental) is ignorant and unfair. Many East Siders contribute to the neighborhoods and St Paul in many positive ways.

If your concerned enough to have the opinion that you have, you may be so inclinded to give your time and energy to aiding the East Saint Paul residents in a better community rather than freely giving bad press. It happens to be one of the few areas that housing is still affordable to the every day working person. Check the East Side Review for upcoming events that envolve giving and community. Have a blessed day and smile knowing that there are those who care for the Old East Side.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:56 AM

The problem with East St Paul is not the neighborhood itself, except for some slummy areas, most of it looks OK, I would say middle class for the most part, the problem with the area is the kind of element that the area attracts. I lived by 5th Street and Johnson Pkwy and never had any problems, however, if you drove a few blocks over, you would just come across some really shady people. If you are doing something to improve the East Side, good for you, but the only way to improve the area is to get rid of the "up to no good-lowlife-thug" element and bring some quality people into this neighborhood.

Last edited by lukeache; 09-24-2007 at 09:05 AM..

Old 09-24-2007, 09:43 AM

26 posts, read 124,127 times
I go to Metro State and never had any problems, even when I leave at night. I don't know if I can give a valid opinion though being that I'm in that area only for a few hours a week versus actually living there.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncredibleKaren View Post
I go to Metro State and never had any problems, even when I leave at night. I don't know if I can give a valid opinion though being that I'm in that area only for a few hours a week versus actually living there.
Karen, last week, I was at the Metro State Library and a student was crying on the phone because she turned around to make some copies and her wallet was stolen, all in a matter of five minutes. Next time, you go to the library, pay attention to the people that use the library as guests, not students. If you have the time, drive a few blocks north of campus, to the intersection of Arcade and 7th and you will start to see what I mean.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:12 PM

131 posts, read 616,245 times
You seem to be the only one who has a problem with the East Side. First of all, there is no East St. Paul as an official city. The area immediately east of downtown St. Paul and all the way over to Lake Phalen is considered the East Side. Some of these areas are very nice. Like any city, there are areas that are a little run down. Even Gary Indiana has some very nice neighborhoods.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 24,274 times
Lukeache, OMG dude! you need to get out more!
Where you from? I've driven through places where
I don't stop at the stop signs or red lights. lol.

I think a quick trip to Detroit

Old 10-03-2007, 11:44 PM

6 posts, read 28,515 times
Born and raised in the Lake Phalen area, but live in the sticks now (the lure of a pretty woman does it every time!) ;-)

The East Side is a different duck. There are homes for under $150 and there are homes that I'm sure are over $500k. The East side is 1/3rd of St. Paul. It's a large area as some one else pointed out.

I will give you the fact that some parts have taken a turn for the worst. Usually it's the "Lower East Side" (typically south of Maryland) that gets the bad rap.

Still, to this day there is not one area that I would feel unsafe in. Take me to North Minneapolis and it's a different story.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 22,218 times
Default Looking to buy a duplex in St. Paul

Could you East-siders tell me about the area specifically around Hopkins St. and Brunson St.? We are thinking about buying a duplex and renting it out to possibly students or whomever. Is this a safe area? Can anyone give me details about the neighborhood? Thanks so much.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:15 PM

18 posts, read 117,302 times
Do you own a gun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul