Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:25 AM

833 posts, read 1,713,443 times

Advertisements

If MNwinters are so great, why aren't there more out of state tourists coming in winter to offset the ----MANY----who flee MN to escape the winters ?

Anyone ?

Last edited by redwolf fan; 06-29-2012 at 11:49 AM..

Old 06-29-2012, 11:15 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
The though of going into the ditch on your commute home and hoping someone stops to help.....yukGL
so it's clear from the outset what mind-set you come from, did this actually happen to you or was it something you just obsessed about on your white-knuckle ventures into the wasteland?

let's analyze some more of your BS claims...

Quote:
If you like to ski, snowboard, sled etc MN could offer 5 solid months of it.
this is my favorite exaggeration put out by you cold-blooded reptiles, exactly what qualifies this statement is conveniently never established but for the past 10 years, Mineapolis' November's avg temp is 36 and the avg high is 52, March's avg is 34 with an avg high of 55. Considering your fear of driving your car into a ditch and freezing to death on the Crosstown median in Richfield I guess I could see as to why you thing these would qualify as winter months.

Quote:
Average temps in the teens to be expected with some nice sunny days hitting the 30's
Naturally more nonsense without any evidence to back it up other than... "plenty of news articles online from the past years"

the truth is, for your "5-Month Winter" (November to March), Minneapolis 10 year median avg temp is 25 degrees. Even throwing out November and March, the avg temp in the dead of winter is 18 and the avg high is 40. If that sounds like the arctic circle to you I'm surprised you were able to avoid freezing to death all those years.

Quote:
Many many many days and especially nights/mornings with below zero temps and severe wind chill
what, no exclamation marks? yes it does get below zero but it's not a regular occurance and rarely occurs during the daytime. Minneapolis' 10 year avg is less than 5 days per year of -10 temps and on avg, just once per year will we have as many as 4 days in a row of below zero lows. The reality is most of these occurences coincide with calm winds and wind chill is a non-factor only used by weather terrorists to divert attention away from the latest Viking loss.

Quote:
Tons of snow all winter. It never melts, they just keep piling it up along the sides of the roads and it looks gross, dirty and depressing for months on end.
more opinion than fact as we have relatively little snow here compared to other areas experiencing much warmer temps. As for you, my guess you would've been better off to spend your money on a prescription to Xanax than a snow shovel.

Quote:
People get sick a lot from teh extreme cold temps for long periods of time.
don't suppose you're prepared to back-up this fallacy with any type of evidence are you?

Quote:
Waking up to 7 degree weather and having to go start your car 30 minutes early and scrape your windshield, then shovel your driveway multiple times a week(if not per day)
really?, you started your car 30 minutes early? how often did you do that? and why? It would be a stretch to suggest many of us have to shovel more than a few times a month but in your make-believe world, we have to shovel multiple times a week?....whatever, it just ain't true.

Quote:
Spring can be extreme because it usually is still cold and even snowing through most of April )
I call BS on you on this as well and while I have live in Florida, Virginia and San Diego, it's clear that you were either lying about your time in Minnesota or were so traumatized by an incident with a scarey snowman as a baby that your perspective is pernamently warped.

Minneapolis is in fact the coldest metro area in the country but most of us somehow seem to survive each winter and continue to thrive and prosper generally at a higher level than most other areas in the country. Most of us also know that the two facts are related and are happy that the deadwood that can't deal with frost on their windshield are better off elsewhere and not encumbering our resources or bumming us out with their petty grievances.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:26 AM

679 posts, read 1,802,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post

edit: ahh, I see you are from TX so you probably don't have a clue what you are talking about.
I think 18 years of living in the Twin Cities qualifies me as having a clue about winter in MN.

Never took a liking to snowmobiling or ice fishing or ice skating. I mean honestly, how many women over 40 participate in these sports? Downhill skiing is awesome, just not in Minnesota. Sorry. I'll head to a real mountain for that.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:27 AM

367 posts, read 545,033 times
This is very true! I absolutely prefer the winter and cold to enduring the extremely lengthy periods of heat and humidity that are prevalent in the south. To people who are always cold I say you can always add another layer of garment protection (sweaters/scarves/etc) but as someone who is hot all the time there is only so much I can take off in public.

I'd rather not have to deal with an endless supply of hot days, thank you very much. Winter, especially in MN, is a beautiful thing.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:50 AM

833 posts, read 1,713,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
If MNwinters are so great, why aren't there more out of state tourists coming in winter to offset the ----MANY----who flee MN to escape the winters ?

Anyone ?

Anyone?

Old 06-29-2012, 11:54 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Maybe we are different, but myself (and many Alaskans) would give up a little sunlight in June in order to not have the sun setting before 4:30 in December
I second that!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:05 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:

Anyone ?
Hmmmm......... maybe we should go to MSP in early January to escape the annual 3-4 week stretch of sub-zero temperatures and enjoy the warm weather.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:21 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Exaggerations? Nonsense? I love how my opinions of MN always get some bad responses from people that can't face reality.

Just do some research, there are plenty of news articles online from the past years where temps stayed in the negatives for weeks, snow mounted up by the foot, windchill stories erc. Probably someone who ha never left MN to see what else is out there and got all defensive an assume I was knocking it.

FYI.... It's no secret that MN has harsh winters. So does ND SD IA IL etc, quit taking it so personally, they asked for thoughts regarding Mn and Charlotte winters and I have lived in both.... Have you?
Atlanta is pretty close to Charlotte. I think you overstate the harshness of Minnesota winters, mostly about the amount of snowfall, and I spent the first almost 41 years of my life in MN so I do have a feeling for them. Yes, low temps are a factor, and windchill is a very important thing to keep in mind even inside the Twin Cities, but some of your other statements verge on being silly. Sorry.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:26 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
mod cut

The south doesn't get much snow, a fact that I'm not happy about, but I'm not living in Georgia because I prefer it to Minnesota ... I moved here for work.

Snofarmer makes sense when you realize that he runs a snowplowing company for a living.

Last edited by golfgal; 06-29-2012 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: response to deleted post

Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
I think 18 years of living in the Twin Cities qualifies me as having a clue about winter in MN.

Never took a liking to snowmobiling or ice fishing or ice skating. I mean honestly, how many women over 40 participate in these sports? Downhill skiing is awesome, just not in Minnesota. Sorry. I'll head to a real mountain for that.
I couldn't tell with a statement like

[quote][I'm sorry but downhill skiing or ice skating when it's 15 degrees out sucks/QUOTE]

I mean seriously...for anyone that lives here, 15 degrees is not cold at all for active activities.

Snowmobiling and ice fishing are certainly dominated by males, but I know plenty of women that partake. Do you know you can comfortably ice fish in a t-shirt and jeans in an ice house? Everywhere I go snowmobiling (local, Northern MN, Northern WI, UP Mich) there are women riding.

I will agree that skiing is weak here. However, it is great for kids and a great place to learn how to ski.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul