Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 03:49 PM

988 posts, read 1,823,158 times

Advertisements

Lifelong Minnesotan and never confused Minneapolis with Chicago - and thank God we're not Chicago. If I wanted to live in that mess, that's where I'd be...

Old 06-19-2012, 08:27 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,157,526 times
I've heard that only ONCE before and I almost slapped that person! Chicago is so much bigger it's not even funny! That being said, unlike much of the Midwest, the vibe I've gotten from Minneapolitans is that they actually don't like Chicago and definitely don't want to be like Chicago. As a local who has very strong ties to both cities, I can see the pros and cons of both and am definitely of the viewpoint that Chicago is an amazing place that I could see myself raising a family in, but I prefer Minneapolis just a bit more. That does not mean they are equal in every other way though!!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:51 PM

6,616 posts, read 16,537,571 times
Obviously someone who didn't pass grade school geography. During my lifetime Chicago has been #2 and #3 in terms of US city sizes. Never really knew where Mpls ranked nationally (though knew it was a biggy in the region), but knew that MANY other US cities were bigger.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,042,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Obviously someone who didn't pass grade school geography. During my lifetime Chicago has been #2 and #3 in terms of US city sizes. Never really knew where Mpls ranked nationally (though knew it was a biggy in the region), but knew that MANY other US cities were bigger.
If I remember correctly, Minneapolis (proper) peaked at number seventeen in 1950.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:44 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,857,870 times
I've never met anybody who thinks that. I see Minneapolis as a major/big city, which it is, and alot of people who live here do. But everyone knows Chicago is much bigger, and it's just really big rather than big. Actually, a lot of people here underrate minneapolis.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:54 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,334,821 times
I don't remember anyone thinking the two were similar in size, but nothing surprises me anymore!

Old 06-20-2012, 07:30 AM

573 posts, read 1,047,369 times
People in minneapolis don't think about or talk about chicago very much at all. Minneapolis has its own thing going on.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:01 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,154,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
Lifelong Minnesotan and never confused Minneapolis with Chicago - and thank God we're not Chicago. If I wanted to live in that mess, that's where I'd be...
Yeah, thriving economy, growing city, awesome national events, various cultures, world class restaurants, friendly people....I hate Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I've heard that only ONCE before and I almost slapped that person! Chicago is so much bigger it's not even funny! That being said, unlike much of the Midwest, the vibe I've gotten from Minneapolitans is that they actually don't like Chicago and definitely don't want to be like Chicago. As a local who has very strong ties to both cities, I can see the pros and cons of both and am definitely of the viewpoint that Chicago is an amazing place that I could see myself raising a family in, but I prefer Minneapolis just a bit more. That does not mean they are equal in every other way though!!
I hear ya. I actually think Minneapolis would be better for raising a family. Chicago public schools are pretty bad. But I guess it just works better for me, a single guy who is social and loves trying new things and meeting new people....nothing beats Chicago in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I believe Chicago is #3 behind NYC and LA at 3.5 million in the city, 11 million metro area.

Minneapolis is #48 in populaiton in the US as of 2010

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

Old 06-20-2012, 08:35 AM

987 posts, read 3,810,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Chisago county? isnt that just a place to stop and get gas on the way to Duluth?
Good one!

But nope. Are you kidding? Maybe for someone who lives in Cloquet who thinks Duluth is the big city.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:06 AM

687 posts, read 1,252,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPerpKazoo View Post
I moved to Chicago two years ago from Minneapolis, and I've never heard anything like that. Not uncommon for Chicagoans to think Minneapolis is as small as Milwaukee or even Omaha, but Minneapolitans seem to have a pretty good grasp on at least the realm of Chicago's size.
If you look at the city-proper, then Minneapolis is smaller than both Milwaukee and Omaha. Actually, Omaha + Lincoln is about the same as Minneapolis + St. Paul (with Milwaukee itself being about 90% of the population of the other pairs).

You do get a different story if you look at metropolitan areas, but Milwaukee is a bit weird to think about given the proximity of Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul