Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:35 AM

46 posts, read 125,773 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to the south metro and wondering if district 196 or 194 is better for elementary, middle and high schools. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 AM

464 posts, read 803,390 times
Better in what sense? Just overall, or are there specific things you are looking for?

Old 06-20-2012, 09:54 AM

46 posts, read 125,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
Better in what sense? Just overall, or are there specific things you are looking for?
Well, I'm considering moving to northern Lakeville, so I'm just wondering if I should have a preference for district 196 or 194 schools. My kids aren't even in school yet, but I guess I'm most interested in schools with good test scores, and where the students and parents are happy with the schools.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:02 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Especially when looking at big districts it's most important (and relevant) to look at individual schools. Also, in some cases overall test scores themselves also don't mean much. I'd suggest investigating the specific schools in your target areas, check out their websites (useful to give you a general feeling for the place from afar), look at the detailed breakdown of scores (as really, the numbers of a whole are almost completely irrelevant from a prospective student perspective), read the online reviews, etc. Might also want to take some time to think about what "best" means to you and your kids -- even within those districts the schools vary, and the educational philosophy and overall "vibe" of schools can vary tremendously. And, for that matter, what one family might love in a school another may hate, even if the school is equally "good" in the sense of turning out well-educated children. That said, I'm sure you can find great schools that meet your needs in both districts, so wouldn't waste time getting hung up on worrying about some mythical "best". Given the current economicl climate I might pay attention to future funding issues and how supportive the overall community is when it comes to supporting its schools, though, as the reality is that almost all schools are going to have to continue to cut programs and increase class sizes in coming years.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:21 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Taking out my mythical scale again, you are comparing 2 districts that rank about 98, 99 on that scale. There really isn't any difference, except, right now, the Lakeville schools are having major budget issues and participation in sports and activities is very expensive, over $300/sport/activity and over $1000 for football or hockey. Just something to consider, however, that could very well change in the next 5 years. It really comes down to fit and since your kids aren't in school now that makes it a little harder. Since you are looking at Northern Lakeville, pick one district, if you don't like it, open enroll your kids in the other since you are within easy driving distance of either there.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:29 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
except, right now, the Lakeville schools are having major budget issues and participation in sports and activities is very expensive, over $300/sport/activity and over $1000 for football or hockey.
Over a grand for FOOTBALL?? I understand the price of Hockey hitting a $1000. Icetime is $170 an hour (1.5 hour practices + games, buses, 4 coaches, weight room, etc) and that is divided by 20 kids on the Varsity. But don't they have about 50 bench warmers in football PLUS the starters? For hockey, you have a total of 40 kids in boys in the program. In high school football, you could have 200 kids playing football at the school. They need $200K to play outdoors? Doesn't the team brings $15K a game? Has the district ever heard of a concept called "economy of scale"? It should cost less to play football because there are so many kids in the program. I'd be upset if my kid played football in that district. It HAS to be a profit center for them.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:10 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Over a grand for FOOTBALL?? I understand the price of Hockey hitting a $1000. Icetime is $170 an hour (1.5 hour practices + games, buses, 4 coaches, weight room, etc) and that is divided by 20 kids on the Varsity. But don't they have about 50 bench warmers in football PLUS the starters? For hockey, you have a total of 40 kids in boys in the program. In high school football, you could have 200 kids playing football at the school. They need $200K to play outdoors? Doesn't the team brings $15K a game? Has the district ever heard of a concept called "economy of scale"? It should cost less to play football because there are so many kids in the program. I'd be upset if my kid played football in that district. It HAS to be a profit center for them.
It's typical government inefficiency. Taxes go up, and so do fees. The product or service never gets better.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
It's typical government inefficiency. Taxes go up, and so do fees. The product or service never gets better.
Businesses are not exactly efficient either. I worked for Honeywell as well as other spots and there is positively NO shortage of waste. Anytime you spend someone else's money, there are inefficiencies. At this point, I think the districts are doing a pretty good job because they are forced to be (semi)-frugal.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:47 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
More kids mean costs go up though-more uniforms, pads, coaches, buses to take kids to games, etc., etc. I don't know what the gate brings in for the games but generally that money goes into the general athletic fund, not just for football. Then keep in mind that there are teams other than varsity playing so you have coaches and costs for that too. Like I said, Lakeville is having pretty serious financial troubles and this is one way they are helping with operating costs. Busing alone probably eats up any of the gate revenue they might bring in.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
More kids mean costs go up though-more uniforms, pads, coaches, buses to take kids to games, etc., etc.
I was speaking of "economy of scale". To use hockey for example, 1 skater on the ice costs $170 an hour. For 17 kids it is $170 divided by 17 or $10 per person per hour. It doesn't take long to have a 1000 hours of ice time so I get why hockey is $1K or more. The hockey bus ride has 30 kids on it (JV and Varsity) while a football team can fit a lot more. Both have trailers attached to bring their gear. The football field doesn't cost $170 an hour like hockey. Many schools cover breezers, helmets, etc and they last years like football gear. Coaches are not that big of an overall expense ($3K per coach). If couches were a big part of the expensive, track would cost a fortune.

Hence, I predict the per player cost of football is much less than hockey mostly to do with economy of scale. IMHO, it therefore boils down to attaching too high of a fee to the football players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul