Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:26 PM

15 posts, read 18,156 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone. I'm Justin Fells. I'm currently 19 and enrolled in college at UALR (University of Arkansas at Little Rock) heading into my second year. Now I came here to find advice, tips, and a bit of wisdom.

So, I'm in a relationship. My partner and I have been together for a year and plan on being together for a long time. She is currently going into her first year at UALR. Both of us are basically bored with Arkansas. Me personally feel like I'm worth more than Arkansas can provide for me, as far as opportunities. We're in the process of planning and saving to move to a city in Minnesota after this school year, in May or June. Mind you that we plan on saving 6 months worth of rent before moving and we won't have jobs when we first move. Our savings should give us some cushion to find jobs to be prepared to pay rent after our sixth months sand beyond. We will transfer to U of M and hopefully try to land some scholarships. We plan on visiting Minnesota a few times to get a feel of how we would like living there. I asked my mother on if I should move and she told me go for it. I'm grown now and should do whatever my heart tells me.

One thing that attracted me to Minnesota is the passion and fandom I have for the Minnesota Vikings. Since becoming a fan, I've always dreamed of going to a live game, and feeling like part of a huge family of Vikings fan, within the borders of Minnesota. So, the Vikings grabbed my attention. I have done hours of research to be sure this move is meant for me and the variety of things to do, had me stuck. I'm super excited and I think this is the route I'm supposed to take. I have been warned of the winters, but I feel the cold winters could make me and my girlfriend closer if anything. Just the thought of one day having a family and everyone being cuddled up watching movies with some warm coco while its freezing outside, brings a smile to my face.

I've looked at Bloomington, Edina, Richfield, Burnsville, St. Paul, Minneapolis and a few more surrounding areas. I'm still not sure what would best suite me.

My concerns are as follows:
-Safety
-Cost of a 1 bedroom apartment. I've been informed to "crawl before I walk" but I really want to live in something nice. I don't want to feel crowded in my apt or as my apt is where I go to be bored. I'd say 700 is my limit.
-Actual things to do. I know avoiding boredom completely is impossible, but one reason I want to move is to have actual things to do. My whole summer has been crap. There's really nothing to do that I haven't already done. I'd like to go hiking, go to a beach, ride on a biking trail, meet new people etc.
-How close the town/city is to U of M; I'd say anything with 20 minutes should be fine.
-Scholarships; I'm not afraid to take a loan out, but I'd prefer not to.
-Jobs; anything that can help towards rent.

Am I being young and dumb? Should I make this move? Hopefully I'm not being young and dumb because I'm very determined to save the money I need to make this huge step in my life.

If you feel that I have a good plan, please fill me in on details of what's the best cities/towns to live in to fulfill all of my concerns. I'd also take any advice that anyone may have to help me.

Thank you everyone! I just want to have fun. Please let me know something (:

Last edited by JustinFells; 06-25-2012 at 08:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:51 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
If anyone was able to make a move in their life and could be prepared for the potential reprocussions if things go wrong, you fit the bill. If anything, most people move when they absolutely shouldn't! They don't have 3+ months of emergency funds to live off of, they move for the wrong reasons (e.g. nightlife), they follow a trend, they eek off the system (e.g. welfare), etc. I see none of that here....what's holding you back? You MUST be young!!

The U of M is IN the city.....1 mile or so from downtown.
I'm a Vikes die-hard and will support anybody who wants to root for the team!!
Tons to do -- even if you are the type who bores easily
Winter shock is overrated.....just give it 2 full years

I think you could make the move and be fine, even if EVERYTHING went wrong and you decided you wanted to move back.

One thing I don't understand is why you "won't have jobs when you move". Why not?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:58 PM

Hey and thanks. That took a load off me. But I don't think I can set up a job if I'm out of state and only 19. I will work anywhere and my girlfriend plans on working too. We're going to use two different bank accounts. One will be for rent and bills and the other for food and personal things. If you know of a way I can have a job when I move then please tell me. That would be great.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:03 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
I'm doing the same thing, moving to Minneapolis without a job but with savings. I'm a couple years older than you, but you sound so much like me.

I say go for it. You have a plan.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm doing the same thing, moving to Minneapolis without a job but with savings. I'm a couple years older than you, but you sound so much like me.

I say go for it. You have a plan.
Thanks for the feedback (:

I'm not necessarily looking at only Minneapolis however though. I want to move somewhere I would be able to afford something nice though. Bloomington has me most interested currently

Old 06-25-2012, 09:22 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,146 times
dude you're 19. live on campus and enjoy college. last thing you need to be doing is worrying about getting a job, living in the burbs away from the college life and paying bills. come to minneapolis. live on campus. enjoy the city, get good grades and live it up

Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
It may more have to do with his standards and what the quality of life he's used to than anything else. That will change when you move. So I second the advice of living in the city, but it sounds like big-city living isn't what he's after. However, I think going to college in Minneapolis but living in a suburb is just going to make things much harder for him.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
dude you're 19. live on campus and enjoy college. last thing you need to be doing is worrying about getting a job, living in the burbs away from the college life and paying bills. come to minneapolis. live on campus. enjoy the city, get good grades and live it up
I've been paying bills and has had a job since 16 though. I've tasted what its like to be an adult a bit. I've lived on a college campus already. It's cool, but I'd rather have my own apartment because if it's like UALR during the breaks they will kick us off campus anyways then I'd be stuck with no where to go and I don't think traveling to Arkansas during every break is an option.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:48 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFells View Post
I've been paying bills and has had a job since 16 though. I've tasted what its like to be an adult a bit. I've lived on a college campus already. It's cool, but I'd rather have my own apartment because if it's like UALR during the breaks they will kick us off campus anyways then I'd be stuck with no where to go and I don't think traveling to Arkansas during every break is an option.
thats why you make friends with apartments so you can have somewhere to crash. also why wouldnt you go home for christmas or summer break? im not trying to be in your business. but if you cant afford to go home for a summer break, maybe moving away from home isnt the best option. but if you do come to minnesota, i think staying on campus is your best bet. last thing you want to do when your new to a school is to be far away from everything. library, classes, etc. what happens if you car breaks down and your all the way in richfield or edina?? you dont want that.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
thats why you make friends with apartments so you can have somewhere to crash. also why wouldnt you go home for christmas or summer break? im not trying to be in your business. but if you cant afford to go home for a summer break, maybe moving away from home isnt the best option. but if you do come to minnesota, i think staying on campus is your best bet. last thing you want to do when your new to a school is to be far away from everything. library, classes, etc. what happens if you car breaks down and your all the way in richfield or edina?? you dont want that.
To me it seemed we got kicked from the dorms too often and the thought I always had was, "I bet if somebody who doesn't live near is screwed", because you had to pay ridiculous prices just to stay over a break. I always thought, "I wonder where they are going for the break.". I don't know how often U of M put their students out, but I know in one semester we got put out at least 2 times.

I have nothing against living in Minneapolis though so I'd look for something close to campus in case of a break down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul