U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 06:52 PM

7,721 posts, read 2,761,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'd be concerned with any potential retribution especially if they were Hmong elders who may have been a Shaman of some kind as their spells won't be deterred by any locked doors or closed windows you may think would protect you.
Lol Ghengis, always love your replies. I'm actually really good friends with them and don't want to see them make a mistake or be taken advantage of. City inspectors can be a pain but at least they make sure things are done right.

I went over and replaced a sprinkling head for them about a month ago so his wife sent over 12 of the best egg rolls I ever had, I think I gained about 10 lbs.

But I don't want to stick my nose in their business if I don't have to, but I'll feel guilty if it's not built right. Just looking for opinions on how to handle it.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:39 PM

273 posts, read 454,038 times
I'd talk to them. They may not be aware of the law. Having work done without a permit could bite the in the butt down the road when they go to sell the house. One of my coworkers had to redo some work when they went to sell because permits weren't pulled.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:57 PM

5,148 posts, read 2,841,705 times
I'd always be cautious about anything that would hamper selling the house when that becomes necessary.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:38 PM

319 posts, read 239,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Trouble I see is substandard methods which is one thing permits guard against. If the neighbors are breaking laws, how is that not the concern of surrounding property owners?
Because they're not doing it on the surrounding property owners' properties, but on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Mind your own business, leave them alone. My .02
This.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:01 AM

9,945 posts, read 7,670,895 times
A next-door, slip-shod construction project that is plainly visible will definitely reflect on your home value and effect your ability to sell your home at a later point. However, I'd be more concerned with the neighbor's house burning to the ground because of some unlicensed, trunk-slammer electrician's work that you could also be subjected to damage from that as well.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
A next-door, slip-shod construction project that is plainly visible will definitely reflect on your home value and effect your ability to sell your home at a later point. However, I'd be more concerned with the neighbor's house burning to the ground because of some unlicensed, trunk-slammer electrician's work that you could also be subjected to damage from that as well.
I've decided to just be friendly and go over and take a look at the construction and act like I'm just curious but I'll make sure they are doing it right to code (I've got a lot of construction experience).

I didn't get to see them installing the footings so I'll just go on faith that they were done right.

Thanks for the advice all.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:48 AM

3,870 posts, read 4,824,201 times
It can be up against the home, if none of the fasteners are attached to the dwelling it is considered a platform and a permit is not needed.

So it can be up against the home but free standing, a permit is not needed to build a platform/deck.

But the code could have changes since the last time I looked.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
It can be up against the home, if none of the fasteners are attached to the dwelling it is considered a platform and a permit is not needed.

So it can be up against the home but free standing, a permit is not needed to build a platform/deck.

But the code could have changes since the last time I looked.
It's attached to the house--they did put the proper siding connections between the roof and the siding with a rain channel so that is good. I have no reason to believe from what I've seen that job is substandard.

But I'm afraid for the homeowners that if they try to sell it or something.

And this may all be for nothing--maybe the permit is posted inside the garage or something-but usually they put them in the front window.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 AM

3,870 posts, read 4,824,201 times
yup it's a deck.. fasteners are going into the dwelling, a permit is needed.

If this is a big concern then a call or a note to the http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/inspections/ is in order?

Old 07-12-2012, 08:19 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,036,662 times
As I said before, since you know the neighbors, I don't see who this is difficult: "Hey, how's the construction on the deck going?" "Oh, its coming along nicely, we are very excited!" "I can see why. Say, by the way, I haven't seen a construction permit, your company did pull one, didn't they? (also, can I have more eggrolls?)"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul