Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:11 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times

Advertisements

"Strategic default/foreclosure" seems pretty irresponsible to me- you make a bad investment decision, and everyone else has to pay for it via tightened restrictions on loans/credit, taxpayer-funded bailouts, declining neighborhood property values and sense of community, and so on?

If you can pay then you should live with your decision, property should be viewed as a long-term investment.

And to anyone thinking about renting a property in the foreclosure process, my cousin discovered that he wasn't obligated to pay rent for about a six-month period when his landlord was foreclosing dur to some legality- not sure what period of time in the foreclosure process this was, but it worked out really well for him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 AM

464 posts, read 802,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
If you can pay then you should live with your decision, property should be viewed as a long-term investment.
Houses are great as homes. As investments, though, they are quite wanting unless you're lucky enough to be in a boom cycle. Historically, they don't appreciate all that well compared to other forms of investment, and it's generally a lot easier to liquidate those and move money around when needed compared to a house (not to mention that putting all or even most of your eggs in one basket is a pretty horrible investment strategy).

If anything, looking at a house from an investment/financial standpoint would encourage more strategic default, not less.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:20 PM

110 posts, read 261,501 times
I knew somebody who used to live in these kind of houses. Remember, they are not in "foreclosure" from day 1...day 1 start with not paying the mortgage...so after 90, 120 days (whatever, the standard is for the bank)...they then proceed. Anyway, in Minnesota--per 2008--it took roughly 12 months. I asked when did they know it was time to move...they said the sheriff will come with papers to exit the house within x amount of days--however,there is ample notice in writing to coordinate a move FYI, MN is one of the longest states to drag out a foreclosure to give a family ample time to rectify the situation.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:42 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferr0052 View Post
I knew somebody who used to live in these kind of houses. Remember, they are not in "foreclosure" from day 1...day 1 start with not paying the mortgage...so after 90, 120 days (whatever, the standard is for the bank)...they then proceed. Anyway, in Minnesota--per 2008--it took roughly 12 months. I asked when did they know it was time to move...they said the sheriff will come with papers to exit the house within x amount of days--however,there is ample notice in writing to coordinate a move FYI, MN is one of the longest states to drag out a foreclosure to give a family ample time to rectify the situation.
Standards can vary quite a bit from state to state. Minnesota (my former residence) is certainly better than Georgia (my current residence) from the point of view of a homeowner:

Minnesota: Process period takes between 90 and 100 days; sale will be publicized 7 days following foreclosure; redemption period of 180 days; and the sheriff initiates the sale of the property.

Georgia: Process period takes 37 days; sale will be publicized 32 days following foreclosure; there is no redemption period; and the state practices a non-judicial foreclosure process.

Of course, some states take much much longer. A number of states have a redemption period of 365 days including Wisconsin, so MN is actually in the middle of the pack:

Wisconsin: Process period takes 290 days; redemption period of 365 days; and the sheriff will initiate the sale of the property.

Source: Foreclosure By State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul