Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 PM

20 posts, read 39,142 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in a condo in suburban Atlanta. I am considering several cities for my next move, here in a year or so (L.A., Chicago, Phoenix, Minneapolis). So, I really want to settle down and have a life partner, kids, and a nice house in the suburbs. So, my question is, how much prejudice would a same-sex headed family in Minneapolis face (in areas such as school for our kids, their friends sleeping over, neighbor relations)? Which suburban cities would be the best for this kind of family, two men and their child or children.
-Also, I'm Jewish, so I need somewhere close to a Reform Temple (The only ones I've found were Downtown and in Hopkins, MN)

The rest of my wants;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 05:33 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Your wants and circumstances will be very easy to achieve here. Most of the suburbs outside of the 494 loop will work for your housing desires and put you close to Hopkins (or downtown) if you find work on that side of the city.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:41 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
What kind of suburb do you like? There's a huge range in the Twin Cities.

That said, I'd take a look at St. Louis Park first -- near Temple Israel (which is not downtown, but is the temple I'm assuming you're talking about), convenient to downtown for work, very family-friendly, good schools, houses in your price range. Historically Jewish (although by no means exclusively so) and liberal. Hopkins, too, is also nice. Not sure what temple is out there.

I'd stick with an inner-ring suburb. Go farther out and your commute time will increase and, in many cases, things get more socially conservative (although I doubt you'd experience actual prejudice) . Depends on the suburb, though. Minnetonka's starting to get out there, commute-wise (although probably still within your commute time), and I think a lot of Temple Israel members actually live out that direction (which would be nice, assuming that you make a lot of friends through Temple activities. They have a preschool too, FYI.). There was actually a recent Atlantic article that may be relevant (as it features Minnetonka and Eden Prairie):
:In Sleepy Minnesota Suburbs, Church Ladies Launch Gay Marriage Crusade - Talya Minsberg - The Atlantic

And you say "suburb," but depending on your vision of suburb, you may find that some of the city neighborhoods better meet your requirements. Worth investigating if you haven't already, in any case. Check out, for example, Linden Hills or Fulton, or Armatage or Kenny. Lots of same-sex couples and families, ultra-family-friendly (TONS of kids, and these are neighborhoods where the kids can still walk and bike everywhere and walk to school), excellent schools, convenient to downtown and to either Hopkins or Temple Israel. (You won't find cul-de-sacs and McMansions if that's the type of suburb you're looking for, however, but it feels very old-fashioned "suburban" in other ways. The adjacent Edina and SLP neighborhoods are also very nice and with equally good school options.)

Old 08-03-2012, 09:43 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I'd stick with an inner-ring suburb. Go farther out and your commute time will increase and, in many cases, things get more socially conservative (although I doubt you'd experience actual prejudice) .
Agreed. I would first check out St. Louis Park and Hopkins. St. Louis Park has a larger Jewish population if thats what you're looking for. St. Louis Park and Hopkins are also more progressive suburbs. Maybe try Golden Valley too.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:34 PM

356 posts, read 606,086 times
On the same sex couple thing, MN is quite conservative. The subject will be on the next election ballot and I suspect it will be defeated.

Friends of ours live across the street from a same sex couple in Burnsville - two men. They have no problems. I don't know how the schools would be though. It is not a common thing to see here, but certainly not unheard of.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:04 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksals View Post
On the same sex couple thing, MN is quite conservative. The subject will be on the next election ballot and I suspect it will be defeated.

Friends of ours live across the street from a same sex couple in Burnsville - two men. They have no problems. I don't know how the schools would be though. It is not a common thing to see here, but certainly not unheard of.
This is a great example of how things can vary across the metro area -- same-sex couples with kids are really common in Minneapolis. Burroughs Elementary (in SW Minneapolis) had (maybe still has) a gay principal with kids of his own, and plenty of teachers are gay or lesbian. The local ECFE (early childhood family education -- state-wide, but operated through individual school districts) offered some GLBT-specific classes. (and my old high school of Southwest made national news when back in the '90s it became the first public high school teacher to openly come out as transgendered at work. Minneapolis, at least, is NOT conservative territory when it comes to its GLBT community members, whether in or out of the school system.)

Some parts of MN may be very conservative on this, but Minneapolis itself (and probably some of the local suburbs) is a hotbed of GLBT-headed families. When I was younger I vaguely recall my neighborhood (CARAG -- not a suburb, but a great, family-friendly neighborhood n Uptown within walking distance of Temple Israel and a short bus ride from downtown, if the OP is interested...) claiming to have the fourth highest number of GLBT-headed households with kids in the country. Not sure if that was right, or if so if it still holds that title, but I could certainly believe it. When I was growing up I knew kids with two moms or two dads, and these days it's even more common. In Minneapolis, at least, no one in the schools will blink an eye. Gay men with kids are not unusual. Not surprising, I suppose, given that nearly 13% of the city is gay or lesbian, and lots of those residents are in the right age range to have kids. Minneapolis still has the most gay/lesbian residents in Minnesota, but I've read that of local suburbs Golden Valley is tops in terms of numbers (which I don't think anyone finds all that surprising).

Meanwhile, on the other side of the metro Anoka-Hennepin Schools got into trouble with their approach towards gay students, and there were reports of bullying. They've since changed their tune, but it's another reminder of just how different the climate can be in different school districts or communities.

The Family Equality Council is a good resource for all things relevant for Twin Cities GLBT families.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:49 AM

356 posts, read 606,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
This is a great example of how things can vary across the metro area -- same-sex couples with kids are really common in Minneapolis. Burroughs Elementary (in SW Minneapolis) had (maybe still has) a gay principal with kids of his own, and plenty of teachers are gay or lesbian. The local ECFE (early childhood family education -- state-wide, but operated through individual school districts) offered some GLBT-specific classes. (and my old high school of Southwest made national news when back in the '90s it became the first public high school teacher to openly come out as transgendered at work. Minneapolis, at least, is NOT conservative territory when it comes to its GLBT community members, whether in or out of the school system.)

Some parts of MN may be very conservative on this, but Minneapolis itself (and probably some of the local suburbs) is a hotbed of GLBT-headed families. When I was younger I vaguely recall my neighborhood (CARAG -- not a suburb, but a great, family-friendly neighborhood n Uptown within walking distance of Temple Israel and a short bus ride from downtown, if the OP is interested...) claiming to have the fourth highest number of GLBT-headed households with kids in the country. Not sure if that was right, or if so if it still holds that title, but I could certainly believe it. When I was growing up I knew kids with two moms or two dads, and these days it's even more common. In Minneapolis, at least, no one in the schools will blink an eye. Gay men with kids are not unusual. Not surprising, I suppose, given that nearly 13% of the city is gay or lesbian, and lots of those residents are in the right age range to have kids. Minneapolis still has the most gay/lesbian residents in Minnesota, but I've read that of local suburbs Golden Valley is tops in terms of numbers (which I don't think anyone finds all that surprising).

Meanwhile, on the other side of the metro Anoka-Hennepin Schools got into trouble with their approach towards gay students, and there were reports of bullying. They've since changed their tune, but it's another reminder of just how different the climate can be in different school districts or communities.

The Family Equality Council is a good resource for all things relevant for Twin Cities GLBT families.
Yes, I was thinking of Anoka when I posted. That whole situation was deplorable!

Sounds like Minneapolis would be one of the better areas for them to search since the suburbs are hit and miss.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksals View Post
Yes, I was thinking of Anoka when I posted. That whole situation was deplorable!

Sounds like Minneapolis would be one of the better areas for them to search since the suburbs are hit and miss.
Well most of the west and south suburbs of mpls are pretty lgbt friendly. pretty much the closer to mpls the better off you are, so ill vote Hopkins and Saint Louis Park.

Fridley - Brooklyn Park - Anoka area, treat as a last resort.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:00 AM

95 posts, read 282,011 times
I found a reasonable rental in Hopkins. What would my commute be like from Hopkins to work in Downtown St. Paul?

The map said it's only 20 miles and 35 minutes if you take these following routes: 169 South from Hopkins to 69 East in Edina all the way to St. Paul's 7th St. to North I-35 East to Downtown St. Paul without having to go through Minneapolis.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:56 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleanianLA1 View Post
I found a reasonable rental in Hopkins. What would my commute be like from Hopkins to work in Downtown St. Paul?

The map said it's only 20 miles and 35 minutes if you take these following routes: 169 South from Hopkins to 69 East in Edina all the way to St. Paul's 7th St. to North I-35 East to Downtown St. Paul without having to go through Minneapolis.
I would look for something on the St. Paul side of the cities. That is a long commute. You could probably find something for around the same price with a 10 minute commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul