Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times

Advertisements

Then we had the block club movement. We had neighbors moving out of isolation and seeking some solidarity. That might be part of any progress. But the battle isn't over by any means. People have to keep attentive and keep that solidarity. After all, not ALL offenders are your neighbors. On the east end, we KNOW from the arrests we are getting visitors from outside. Certainly downtown, I'd guess something like 100 percent of the offenders are coming in from other neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 PM

MPD hasn't solved the problem yet. 9 armed robberies in the downtown business district in the last reporting week. A very tight space in which they all occurred.
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/gro...s1p-097686.pdf

Old 09-02-2012, 09:05 PM

As of the end of July, Downtown West ranks first in violent crimes with 229. Jordan ranks second with 126. Can't decide if this shows neighborhood policing works or it just moves crime downtown.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:13 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
As of the end of July, Downtown West ranks first in violent crimes with 229. Jordan ranks second with 126. Can't decide if this shows neighborhood policing works or it just moves crime downtown.
Due to the sheer number of people working and partying there on a daily basis, Downtown West will always rank first in in the city in nearly every crime category. Anyone who has any common sense and who has paid attention to the city's crime statistics over an extended period of time understands that. Jordan ranks second with half as many violent crimes, but it's also a half vacant neighborhood that almost nobody sets foot in unless they have to. In conclusion, Jordan has a far more serious crime problem than Downtown West....that should be quite obvious.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:36 AM

"Jordan has a more serious crime problem". Ergo, 126 crimes is a much greater number than 229. Thanks, that made a lot of sense.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Due to the sheer number of people working and partying there on a daily basis, Downtown West will always rank first in in the city in nearly every crime category. Anyone who has any common sense and who has paid attention to the city's crime statistics over an extended period of time understands that. Jordan ranks second with half as many violent crimes, but it's also a half vacant neighborhood that almost nobody sets foot in unless they have to. In conclusion, Jordan has a far more serious crime problem than Downtown West....that should be quite obvious.
And who would be these people who have paid attention over a long period of time. Perhaps they can provide relative statistics. In 2001, Downtown West had 174 violent crimes in the first 7 months. Are we to suppose that 174 is more important than 229? What I see is a major increase in the last 11 years. Which should be of some concern to the people who ran the city in this period of time. ESPECIALLY since there are so many more innocent bystanders downtown, ESPECIALLY since the reputation of Minneapolis is far more influence by what visitors experience downtown than what they experience in Jordan. Frankly, I think the city is understaffed in all precincts, a point that was on my mind when we were told we could afford not one but two new stadiums. Strikes me as a bitter irony that some think we can afford playpens but not peace in the streets.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:57 AM

319 posts, read 528,870 times
Absolute numbers are meaningless when comparing different locations/neighborhoods with different residential and commercial populations. I'm not sure how many times this patently obvious point needs to be reiterated before it sinks in.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:02 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
And who would be these people who have paid attention over a long period of time. Perhaps they can provide relative statistics. In 2001, Downtown West had 174 violent crimes in the first 7 months. Are we to suppose that 174 is more important than 229? What I see is a major increase in the last 11 years.
Take a minute to compare the difference in people living downtown in 2001 compared to 2012....what you'll notice is that there are now alot more people living downtown. In addition, I'm pretty sure that downtown's nightlife has grown a significant amount in popularity since 2001. As a result, there are alot more clubs and bars and lots of more people hanging out downtown on any given night than there was back in 2001. All of this, quite obviously, will translate into more crime taking place. You still haven't given me an answer to this question so I'm going to ask you again, when was the last time you hung out in downtown Minneapolis? My wife and I were there as recent as last night and besides weekends when we're traveling we will go downtown at least 1-2 times a week and will continue to go there. Why? Because it's the most "happening" place in the Twin Cities. Please provide me with a comparable alternative. We may go to Uptown or Dinkytown as a change of pace, but there is no place like Downtown Minneapolis in the Twin Cities for weekend nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul