U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 18,935 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on what the best internet provider is?

Here is what I've experienced/heard:
Comcast- expensive but fast and generally reliable
USI wireless- cheap but need to be close to a node to get decent service
CenturyLink- ???
Clear wireless- ???

What internet provider do you use? Are you satisfied with your service?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 10:03 PM

51 posts, read 186,912 times
I'm as frustrated with Comcast's practices and customer service as anyone, but when it comes down to it they have the fastest broadband options. Even the new, faster DSL (>7Mbps) offerings from CenturyLink -- if you manage somehow to be in an area where they're actually available -- don't compare to the bang for the buck Performance (~20Mbps real world, $48.95) and Blast (~30Mbps, $58.95) offer.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:06 AM

5,834 posts, read 6,456,465 times
If you live on a street where US Internet is laying its fiber optic cable, they cannot be beat for speed, price, and service. Here is a thread on that topic.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/minne...nneapolis.html

Old 08-25-2012, 08:53 AM

At this point, the USI fiber infrastructure is tiny and is only being built to provide better backhaul for their WiFi system.

According to what I've found, these are the only four areas served, all in S. Mpls.:

• 300 homes along 50th Street
• along Pillsbury Avenue and Pleasant Avenue, from 28th Street to 49th Street
• Franklin Avenue between Hennepin Avenue and Blaisdell Avenue
• Blaisdell from Franklin to 24th Street

Old 08-25-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbr1973 View Post
At this point, the USI fiber infrastructure is tiny and is only being built to provide better backhaul for their WiFi system.

According to what I've found, these are the only four areas served, all in S. Mpls.:

• 300 homes along 50th Street
• along Pillsbury Avenue and Pleasant Avenue, from 28th Street to 49th Street
• Franklin Avenue between Hennepin Avenue and Blaisdell Avenue
• Blaisdell from Franklin to 24th Street
Your information is out of date as to where they have fiber optic currently available. I live somewhere that's not on your list and I have it now. Also, it is not just being built to support the wifi. They run a fiber into your house and the purpose is to provide a competitor to Comcast and DSL. USI is in its early stages on layong fiber, so it might be best to check with them on availability and their schedule. The plan is to make fiber optic available to everyone in the city.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:24 AM

Sorry, Glenfield. I did miss some areas that are recent or which may not see availability until spring 2013. Again, however, we're only talking about S. Mpls. so calling USI the "best internet provider in Minneapolis" is an argument limited to a very specific area.

• Garfield, Harriet, Aldrich, Colfax and Dupont Avenues from Lake Street to 48th Street
• Fremont Avenue from 42nd to 45th streets, and along E. Harriet Parkway from 42nd to 46th St.
• Emerson, Fremont, Girard, Holmes, Humboldt and Irving Avenues, from Lake to 36th St.
• Shorter distances along James and Knox Avenues

I stand by my statement that USI's goal for running fiber is to ease congestion (improve backhaul) on their wireless network. They are only running fiber in places where it serves that need; today, residential fiber-to-the-home is an incidental market. I have seen no statements from USI or articles indicating widespread fiber buildout is their plan -- though I'd love it if it were true. Can you provide a citation for that?

Old 08-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Sorry, Glenfield. I did miss some areas that are recent or which may not see availability until spring 2013. Again, however, we're only talking about S. Mpls. so calling USI the "best internet provider in Minneapolis" is an argument limited to a very specific area.

• Garfield, Harriet, Aldrich, Colfax and Dupont Avenues from Lake Street to 48th Street
• Fremont Avenue from 42nd to 45th streets, and along E. Harriet Parkway from 42nd to 46th St.
• Emerson, Fremont, Girard, Holmes, Humboldt and Irving Avenues, from Lake to 36th St.
• Shorter distances along James and Knox Avenues

I stand by my statement that USI's goal for running fiber is to ease congestion (improve backhaul) on their wireless network. They are only running fiber in places where it serves that need; today, residential fiber-to-the-home is an incidental market. I have seen no statements from USI or articles indicating widespread fiber buildout is their plan -- though I'd love it if it were true. Can you provide a citation for that?
Best Internet provider in Minneapolis is the title of the thread. I said USI's fiber service was the best if you could get it. If they're only going to make it available to certain areas, I hadn't heard that. It's too bad because if you can get it, it is the best. If you can't then clearly it isn't.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:42 PM

Not only does USI's fiber plan only cover a very limited area (less than 4% of the city by acreage), but they are only allowing a certain number of subscribers on each fiber trunk line. Many already-wired areas aren't accepting new home/building connections, presumably to avoid oversubscribing the newly added capacity (the primary purpose of which is to *reduce* congestion on the wireless). So your street could be wired for fiber yet not actually be available.

At this rate of buildout, Minneapolis could be completely done in what, 48 years?

Agreed - if you can get it, it's the best.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Not only does USI's fiber plan only cover a very limited area (less than 4% of the city by acreage), but they are only allowing a certain number of subscribers on each fiber trunk line. Many already-wired areas aren't accepting new home/building connections, presumably to avoid oversubscribing the newly added capacity (whose primary purpose is to *reduce* congestion on the wireless). So your street could be wired for fiber yet not actually be available.

At this rate of buildout, Minneapolis could be completely done in what, 48 years?

Agreed - if you can get it, it's the best.
Each home that's wired gets a dedicated fiber and there are x number of fibers in the cable. The guy from USI said they would be able to accommodate 90% of the homes on the street, but I can see why they wouldn't want to provide for 100% knowing that they'd never have a 100% subscription rate.

Look, I'm sorry they didn't put it in on your street. I can see where that's a sore point with you. I have no idea if it's available where the OP lives, but if they can get it, it is the best ISP in Minneapolis. I think that was the original point. My experience is that their customer service blows the competition away.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:16 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,728,813 times
Hard to say who is the best provider. But we've subscribed to US Family.net in Golden Valley for many years. Tried Qwest for a few years, but it just doesn't pay to be one of millions of users. Our help from US Family's tech support outclassed others. We recently took our phone service away from Centurylink, too. We started getting techs coming to service our lines who gave us lame excuses for failures. When our phones wouldn't work, the guy said they were too cheap. Anyway, these mergers always make me uneasy, so when things seemed to be sliding, we went to Velocitytelephone.com. We've had it for a few months and things seem to be going right. With Centurylink, we were losing connection every Sunday morning on schedule and everyone pretended not to know why. I've worked in IT where we cycled things in those hours and let everyone know it. So I just lost trust in Centurylink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul