Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:56 AM

367 posts, read 545,649 times

Advertisements

I have only been checked for tickets periodically when I ride the light rail (which, in full disclosure, is only about two-three times a month). As another poster previously stated, I think the checks are more likely to occur during non-rush hours or other times when the trains aren't crowded. If the line is running at or over capacity, however, I don't think anyone checks for tickets. For example, can you imagine trying to ask someone if he/she has a ticket on the way to a Twins game? The trains are so full heading towards Target field that people can barely stand in the aisles, never mind sit, and there is no way officials could navigate through such a crowd to check to see if tickets were actually purchased. The same is true with the reverse trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Used to see transit cops on there every few days. This winter, they seem to have vanished. Wonder exactly what they are doing to earn their keep. Metro Transit should post something about their activities.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:59 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Used to see transit cops on there every few days. This winter, they seem to have vanished. Wonder exactly what they are doing to earn their keep. Metro Transit should post something about their activities.
I would assume they're doing other duties. After all, I suspect that someone isn't simply a "fare-checking" cop (or could at least performs other jobs during the day). I'm not sure that they want to be giving an update on what they're doing though, or what that would even entail. "We are checking this train today"? Is that what we're looking for?

That said, light rail is luck of the draw for getting checked. I used to ride it all the time and I think I've been checked three times total.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:52 AM

Yeh. It's a bet. Win you get a $2.25 ride free. Lose you get a $180 ticket. It's your play.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:10 PM

24 posts, read 35,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
I would assume they're doing other duties. After all, I suspect that someone isn't simply a "fare-checking" cop (or could at least performs other jobs during the day). I'm not sure that they want to be giving an update on what they're doing though, or what that would even entail. "We are checking this train today"? Is that what we're looking for?

That said, light rail is luck of the draw for getting checked. I used to ride it all the time and I think I've been checked three times total.

According to the Metro Transit Police website, "Transit Police officers ride buses and trains as well as patrol along bus routes, METRO Blue Line (Hiawatha) and the Northstar Line. Sometimes officers patrol out of uniform – one could be on your next bus. Transit Police officers also inspect fares on Blue Line and Northstar trains."

Old 02-24-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless In The City View Post
According to the Metro Transit Police website, "Transit Police officers ride buses and trains as well as patrol along bus routes, METRO Blue Line (Hiawatha) and the Northstar Line. Sometimes officers patrol out of uniform – one could be on your next bus. Transit Police officers also inspect fares on Blue Line and Northstar trains."
Believe it when I see one. That sounds like they are spooks. Maybe.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:55 PM

25 posts, read 46,592 times
Last time I rode it to the mall (few weeks ago) there were two officers checking tickets before leaving the platform at the mall. Much less hassle and cost to just pay the damn fare.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:00 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless In The City View Post
Has anyone ever had their fare checked on the bus by a plainclothes officer? Seems like a waste of resources, since the bus driver should be checking that you have paid your fare as you're getting on.

I'd also be skeptical that there would be any out of uniform on the light rail either, or at least anyone whose job is to be check fares. Every time my fare has been checked, they've scanned my Go-To Card with what looks like a very old, flip-style cell phone. An officer approaching someone in plainclothes and holding a chunky cell phone isn't going to look very official, and it would be a hassle to show everyone your badge just to check their fare (I'd be wary of holding out my unlimited ride card so a random person could "scan" it...seems like the perfect opportunity to grab some passes and dash).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul