Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:09 PM

8 posts, read 21,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I'm glad we live in an area where kids can get themselves off the bus on their own and not have to worry about it, but the again, our kids walked to school at that age, 7 blocks each way, never had an issue either. I'd rather teach my kids to be self reliant.
You don't live in that place. You just think you do. You never know who is driving down the street. Jacob Wetterling? I grew up in Minneapolis and the lack of appropriate bus policy here is plain stupid. What is so wrong about holding bus drivers accountable for the children they are paid to transport safely? What is wrong about making sure a child is not left off at the wrong bus stop. What is wrong about making sure young children are safely handed off to a guardian? Why do I have to send a note to say that I want my child to get off at a different stop when drivers are free to drop them wherever and drive off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 02:14 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purjed View Post
You don't live in that place. You just think you do. You never know who is driving down the street. Jacob Wetterling? I grew up in Minneapolis and the lack of appropriate bus policy here is plain stupid. What is so wrong about holding bus drivers accountable for the children they are paid to transport safely? What is wrong about making sure a child is not left off at the wrong bus stop. What is wrong about making sure young children are safely handed off to a guardian? Why do I have to send a note to say that I want my child to get off at a different stop when drivers are free to drop them wherever and drive off?
It sounds like a lot of bother. Kids have been boarding and departing school buses for decades in the Twin Cities metro with very few incidents. Maybe the City of Minneapolis proper has areas where special policies are required ... I don't know. I didn't grow up in an urban environment where we didn't know anyone in our neighborhood.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:43 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
How many people do you know PERSONALLY that have been abducted? Jacob Wetterling was not abducted off a school bus and was most likely abducted by someone known to the family according to the experts. Your child is statistically safer alone in the middle of some park somewhere than she is in her own living room. We choose not to live in a paranoid world, thanks. Our kids have made it through 12+ years of schooling with no issues what so ever so we DO live in that world.

What's wrong with raising your own child? If you don't like the policy, drive your child back and fort to school. I can bet there are WAY more parents that trust their kids to get off the bus at the right place and would NOT want to have to be a helicopter parent and meet their child at the bus every day.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:38 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Stranger abductions are very, very rare. Yes, it could happen. So could plenty of other things. If a parent is truly concerned, there is always the option of picking up the child at school.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
How many people do you know PERSONALLY that have been abducted? Jacob Wetterling was not abducted off a school bus and was most likely abducted by someone known to the family according to the experts. Your child is statistically safer alone in the middle of some park somewhere than she is in her own living room. We choose not to live in a paranoid world, thanks. Our kids have made it through 12+ years of schooling with no issues what so ever so we DO live in that world.

What's wrong with raising your own child? If you don't like the policy, drive your child back and fort to school. I can bet there are WAY more parents that trust their kids to get off the bus at the right place and would NOT want to have to be a helicopter parent and meet their child at the bus every day.
Do you realize your response completely contradicts your advice to have a child depend on a neighbor? That proves the point of exactly why the bus policy should be changed. I don't live in a paranoid world, I live in a world where my children's safety and education comes before anything else.

Police investigate attempted abduction in Minnetonka | kare11.com
Second Minneapolis girl left at wrong school bus stop | kare11.com
Wayzata School District Warned of Alleged Attempted Abduction - Lake Minnetonka, MN Patch

Old 09-08-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Stranger abductions are very, very rare. Yes, it could happen. So could plenty of other things. If a parent is truly concerned, there is always the option of picking up the child at school.
There is also the option of a better school bus policy.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:35 AM

464 posts, read 803,254 times
Quote:
There is also the option of a better school bus policy.
Nobody is stopping you from meeting your child at the bus stop, are they? Or meeting them at school?

Old 09-08-2012, 12:08 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
Nobody is stopping you from meeting your child at the bus stop, are they? Or meeting them at school?
Well, this is what I was thinking. I'd suggest that the OP meet their child at the bus stop. We have a number of parents in our area who choose to do that. Not all, but some. That and teaching your kid to stay on the bus until their stop seem like the most reasonable solutions. Of course, the OP is free to lobby for changes in the district bus policies, but this would be easier, faster, and more effective.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:13 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Do you realize your response completely contradicts your advice to have a child depend on a neighbor? That proves the point of exactly why the bus policy should be changed. I don't live in a paranoid world, I live in a world where my children's safety and education comes before anything else.
I think golfgal was recommending what she saw as a reasonable solution for you, not acknowledging that your concerns were legitimate or that she shared them. I would think you would be thankful for her helpful advice, rather than lashing out at her in this rather unpleasant manner.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:34 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,683 times
Another way to eliminate any worries is to do the after school program if you can't drive to the school and get there at pick-up time. Then you have to sign your child out.

I can understand the fears about winter and car accidents but a kindergartner can use a key or enter the house using a garage code if that's attached and have a list of numbers they can call if they find themselves alone after school. Now if you're talking about a special needs child then I can certainly see the need for a more structured drop off.

The Jacob Wetterling thing, he was older so even had it been after school and the district had a policy for young kids he would have been too old for it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul