Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:20 AM

687 posts, read 1,255,439 times

Advertisements

That headline is misleading. If you follow the police spokesman's assumption that the broader definition inflates the Minneapolis total by 30%, then Minneapolis falls from the highest rate to the fifth highest rate (in 2011). I suppose I'd buy "Broader definition of rape accounts for highEST Minneapolis statistics".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 05:27 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
That's a quibble.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
I think the city has done a better job here about getting people to report than other places. But I have a friend who volunteers for a campus sexual assault center and they get a lot of calls to hospitals where the crime is never reported to police. A lot of women (and probably even more so male victims) don't want to report it for fear of all it entails, including the thought that their name will be in public records and they'll be labeled as something (whether that's being "easy" among other terms, or in male-on-male rape, possibly being called gay).

It's too bad that we'll never really know how Minneapolis compares. Its bad numbers and ranking could be deserved or it might be a bad rap for being more realistic in its reporting. Unlike murder, you can't just count bodies.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:40 AM

Thanks to the sexual revolution, young women (even somewhat older ones) are out there "getting some". No matter how big a percentage is involved, our hypocritical society is way too ready to be judgmental towards a person who was promiscuous and then gets raped. All those questions about women going to jock's rooms. "What did she EXPECT?" As previously noted, rape as a crime is pretty different from all the other crimes of violence. Culture plays a big role in how each locality treats it. I really don't think these comparisons indicate a sophisticated understanding of what is involved. I won't say Minneapolis or our state is some haven for saintly men. We do have a complement of self-serving brutes. But to paint us as some sort of heartland for rape is hasty.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:52 PM

237 posts, read 440,450 times
I just read a story on a long standing instance of child abuse in Minneapolis that went unreported for years so this does not really surprise me.

The Adventures of Johnny Northside: Major Topps Is Dead--Now Let The Public Discussion Begin

Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 PM

643 posts, read 1,037,446 times
I'm surprised at what a low character we seem to give men around here.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:58 AM

687 posts, read 1,255,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
That's a quibble.
I still don't understand this. Honestly, I expected to read an article that described how using a different definition resulted in the rate of rape in Minneapolis being about average. But, even after accounting for the different definition (and not also lowering any other cities that use similar methods as Minneapolis!) there's still only 4 cities with higher rates. Are people really okay with being number 5 in rape rate?

Old 03-14-2013, 09:37 AM

How do you really know what rape means in those cities. Or the ones that seem lower?

Old 03-14-2013, 08:11 PM

573 posts, read 1,049,611 times
In my personal experience I have been let go in cities like Milwaukee and Chicago by the police for things other than rape that I would have definitely been sitting in a jail cell for in Minneapolis when I was young and still getting myself into trouble. I personally don't think Minneapolis would come close to making the top ten in any category of crime. I know many people think north minneapolis is bad but for people who have actually experienced some other cities across the country they would realize that the statistics don't always paint a great picture of what is really going on.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 PM

237 posts, read 440,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
I'm surprised at what a low character we seem to give men around here.
Probably why I have bouts of self loathing at times (seriously).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul