Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 06:17 PM

186 posts, read 377,750 times

Advertisements

From Minneapolis, but have been living in Tampa FL for 10 yrs. Husband having terrible time staying employed. Question: Will landlords/owners let us rent from them without having jobs yet? Well, actually hubby does teach online classes but the pay fluctuates greatly every six weeks. We can pay 6 months in advance.
Hard finding someone to hire you too without coming there for an interview first. Wish more could use references and Skype but that is how it is. Hard to really trust anyone I realize, especially in these crazy days.
We could just move there then look for jobs but it's risky we realize, but just not sure how much more of FL we can take, for many other reasons to I won't even bother to mention ha!
FYI: hubby is in higher education and I'm an LPN if anyone has a heads up on job leads.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 06:36 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Both of those fields are pretty employable around here. Here is a good link for looking for jobs in higher ed HigherEdJobs - Jobs in Higher Education . You can search by state and see what is there. For LPN jobs, Fairview, Health Partners, and Allina are the major medical systems in the metro area so you can search on their websites for opportunities.

I would also suggest looking in some of the outlying towns like Northfield, Rochester, Mankato, Winona, Marshall. They all have 4 year institutions and hospitals. The Mayo System and Avera cover the general Rochester area and Marshall respectively.

As for renting, it is really going to depend but paying 6 months in advance will help quite a bit. You will probably have more luck doing that in the outlying areas as more landlords are willing to go with month to month leases.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:23 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
If I were you, I'd consider renting a short-term furnished place, stick your stuff in storage (or ship it using relocubes or similar; you pack it up, they stick it in storage, and will deliver it at your final place whenever you give the word, which makes it really, really easy), and then find a permanent rental once at least one of you has a job. That will mean you'll have an easier time finding a place, but -- more importantly -- it will mean that you have far more options for jobs (or alternatively, less risk of being forced into a really long commute). And as an added bonus, it gives you some time to check out different locations and see what feels like "home."

I don't think you'll have trouble finding a place without a job given your ability to pay so much up-front. I've even seen places around here offering 6-month leases, and during the winter months I think landlords are far more likely to give you those options. Be warned that some apartments have clauses saying no moves in the coldest/snowiest winter months (usually January through March, I think), so there may be less inventory on the market during those times. On the other hand, there's also fewer people looking.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:05 PM

429 posts, read 1,148,310 times
You may have trouble qualifying for a rental because Minnesota has one of the lowest vacancy rates in the country, allowing landlords to be very picky about who they rent to. But I think uptown_urbanist makes a good point that it should be easier if you arrive in winter. In any case, I'd recommend starting your hunt for a place to rent as soon as possible.
Good luck, and welcome!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:10 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didi768 View Post
just not sure how much more of FL we can take, for many other reasons to I won't even bother to mention ha!
I'm there too!

Last edited by golfgal; 10-18-2012 at 09:21 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 06:53 AM

186 posts, read 377,750 times
Thank you so much, all of you, for your wonderful advice. My husband however feels we should try and stick it out here due to the economy/election and see what happens for now. He is flying to California to pitch his movie scripts at a huge convention next week. Pray he hits the jackpot, we really could use this right now :-)
Still might see you all in Minnesota someday....The land of 10,000 + frozen lakes hehe.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:31 PM

33 posts, read 80,995 times
I say move back to Minnesota. I was there only 2 months and already had job leads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul