Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 AM

53 posts, read 90,288 times

Advertisements

For those of you who think 75% is not high enough: go talk to people who did not vote or seem less dedicated to the process of voting than the people who are posting to this forum: they are ignorant or contemptible of the process. Why in the world would we want these people voting?
Give them a civics test: EG. Can we fix the national debt by eliminating funding for Public TV, National Public Radio, Nat. Endowment for the Arts and the EPA. If the person says 'Yes!' then then they are too stupid to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 09:57 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,014,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisaroo View Post
For those of you who think 75% is not high enough: go talk to people who did not vote or seem less dedicated to the process of voting than the people who are posting to this forum: they are ignorant or contemptible of the process. Why in the world would we want these people voting?
Give them a civics test: EG. Can we fix the national debt by eliminating funding for Public TV, National Public Radio, Nat. Endowment for the Arts and the EPA. If the person says 'Yes!' then then they are too stupid to vote.
The people who know what PBS, NPR, NEA, and the EPA are and think eliminating them will solve the debt are probably already voting.

75 percent of Minnesotans voting is excellent for what we have right now. But the idea of getting turnout higher is to motivate those who think voting doesn't matter and educating those who don't know as much about politics. After all, it's their life that is also impacted, so they should have a say. Informing them and encouraging them to vote is important. Getting turnout much higher, however, will take some time.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 AM

xandrex, this is what they said in Political Science classes in the 1980's. I see people voting more against their own economic interests now then they did before so I am not sure that this theory is working but I hope you are right.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
xandrex, this is what they said in Political Science classes in the 1980's. I see people voting more against their own economic interests now then they did before so I am not sure that this theory is working but I hope you are right.
They said that educating people and encouraging them to vote was a good thing...and we're now seeing the negative results?

Old 11-14-2012, 01:01 PM

No. Obviously, if people were to become more educated that would be solution to the "What's the Matter with Kansas?" issue I am speaking about. What I was addressing was this part of your line "But the idea of getting turnout higher is to motivate those who think voting doesn't matter " : that is what I was told in college: 'Once people start voting they will then start educating themselves as a result of voting' and my assumption was that this was not working.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
No. Obviously, if people were to become more educated that would be solution to the "What's the Matter with Kansas?" issue I am speaking about. What I was addressing was this part of your line "But the idea of getting turnout higher is to motivate those who think voting doesn't matter " : that is what I was told in college: 'Once people start voting they will then start educating themselves as a result of voting' and my assumption was that this was not working.
Ah, I see. My point wasn't to get people to vote before thinking through the issues. Instead, educate first. I think that if you motivate people to care about the issues, they'll feel compelled to vote. But so many people don't because they don't understand the issues and don't think their vote matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul