Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:10 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowYourHomeLoan View Post
Minneapolis is an excellent place to live, work and play. The good news about the weather is...there are airplanes - we just break up the winter with some traveling.
haha, that's true....nowhere else I can think of except maybe Chicago do (seemingly) 50% of the people take a mid-winter vacation somewhere warm! It's almost like the great migration of Monarch Butterflies or something, only with Minnesotans instead of butterflies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 12:10 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
I'm sorry but this makes me think of Wendell Anderson and his fish on the cover of Time Magazine. I think anyone coming should come with a realistic expectation of overcoming hardships in order to make their living in responsible matter. Since that magazine cover, nationwide drug gangs tried to move in, recruit, and take control of turf. Even bigger criminals with suits and ties moved in (Zygi Wilf?) and tried to milk the taxpayers and make themselves some easy money. We have had a pretty good culture that is the thing that made us a good, creative state. But all this marketing attracts people who don't share any of these values. They just see a place for some easy pickings. I don't think the state needs any marketing at all. It has done just fine over the years in staying prosperous. Those who would market the state don't really care about the ill effects, so long as it makes THEM some money. And such people always seem to want to throw out the very formula that made it a good state. Such as plundering education to lower taxes on business. The ultimate result of these proposals is to turn us into another pathetic southern state. Look at their unemployment rates. To me, low taxes and high unemployment go together. We need to strive to be the Education State again. If that drives away business that flourishes in an ennvironment of ignorance, good riddance to them.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:18 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I'm sorry but this makes me think of Wendell Anderson and his fish on the cover of Time Magazine. I think anyone coming should come with a realistic expectation of overcoming hardships in order to make their living in responsible matter. Since that magazine cover, nationwide drug gangs tried to move in, recruit, and take control of turf. Even bigger criminals with suits and ties moved in (Zygi Wilf?) and tried to milk the taxpayers and make themselves some easy money. We have had a pretty good culture that is the thing that made us a good, creative state. But all this marketing attracts people who don't share any of these values. They just see a place for some easy pickings. I don't think the state needs any marketing at all. It has done just fine over the years in staying prosperous. Those who would market the state don't really care about the ill effects, so long as it makes THEM some money. And such people always seem to want to throw out the very formula that made it a good state. Such as plundering education to lower taxes on business. The ultimate result of these proposals is to turn us into another pathetic southern state. Look at their unemployment rates. To me, low taxes and high unemployment go together. We need to strive to be the Education State again. If that drives away business that flourishes in an ennvironment of ignorance, good riddance to them.
If people are worried about gangs, they can live in any part of the city or the suburbs (they're part of this story too, you know!) that aren't drug-infested.

Minnesota is certainly no Wendell Anderson-like state anymore, but the good life still can be found in Minnesota. And marketing is A-OK in my opinion. Without it, we still stagnate and die. You need fresh blood. Let's not become, in a sense, a "xenophobic" state. There are plenty of people who share the same Minnesota values.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:21 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I don't think would-be gangsters are reading Slate to figure out their next home. The article was also only comparing the top 15 highest income metro areas -- the others of which also all have their own problems, including crime -- so of course if someone is looking for a small town or mid-size city, their answer is not going to be Minneapolis. But for a lot of people of the demographic who read Slate, Minneapolis could well make a good alternative to the other cities on the list. I can definitely understand the author's point. You definitely get more bang for your buck in Minneapolis. And for those of us with kids, it's also really nice for middle-class people to be able to afford to live in nice urban neighborhoods with access to good public schools. I also agree that weather is overrated. Sure, it makes a difference, but if you can handle the weather in any number of other major American cities, it's not going to be a huge adjustment to live in Minneapolis.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:31 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,004 times
It's overcrowded already, maybe another State will work, perhaps Wisconsin.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:36 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,641 times
One funny thing is that Yglesias is usually going off about how cities need to embrace higher density and build more skyscrapers and such. Just yesterday I think I saw one of his headlines was to the effect of how DC should eliminate their building height restrictions. So in practice, I think he'd find MSP to be grossly sprawling if he came to see it

Old 11-09-2012, 10:02 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
If people are worried about gangs, they can live in any part of the city or the suburbs (they're part of this story too, you know!) that aren't drug-infested.

Minnesota is certainly no Wendell Anderson-like state anymore, but the good life still can be found in Minnesota. And marketing is A-OK in my opinion. Without it, we still stagnate and die. You need fresh blood. Let's not become, in a sense, a "xenophobic" state. There are plenty of people who share the same Minnesota values.
"Fresh blood". I don't know whether to laugh or cry. What, the blood has gone stale? What is the evidence of that? That is the ultimate in fuzzy thinking. Are the Fresno Hmongs who moved here because CA law enforcement was closing in "fresh blood"? Is Zygi Wilf "fresh blood"? This area has produced some of the most creative thinkers of the whole country. And far from stagnating, it has blossomed when other parts of the country were deteriorating into ruins. Yet, somehow we have these people who seem to think Minnesota needs outsiders to reinvigorate us. These people actually take the Flyoverland thing literally. Why can't such people just emigrate to New York or California. My sister and her husband moved to New York. Guess what? They got direct experience and moved back to Portland Oregon. I guess long winters lead some minds to create fairytales about greener pastures. But will they go for a reality check? No. Instead, they want to change Minnesota. Great. So it can experience the same catastrophes we read about elsewhere. Great thinking!

Old 11-10-2012, 12:16 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,779 times
Quote:
"Fresh blood". I don't know whether to laugh or cry. What, the blood has gone stale? What is the evidence of that? That is the ultimate in fuzzy thinking. Are the Fresno Hmongs who moved here because CA law enforcement was closing in "fresh blood"? Is Zygi Wilf "fresh blood"? This area has produced some of the most creative thinkers of the whole country. And far from stagnating, it has blossomed when other parts of the country were deteriorating into ruins. Yet, somehow we have these people who seem to think Minnesota needs outsiders to reinvigorate us. These people actually take the Flyoverland thing literally. Why can't such people just emigrate to New York or California. My sister and her husband moved to New York. Guess what? They got direct experience and moved back to Portland Oregon. I guess long winters lead some minds to create fairytales about greener pastures. But will they go for a reality check? No. Instead, they want to change Minnesota. Great. So it can experience the same catastrophes we read about elsewhere. Great thinking!
Your attitude is the one that oozes the mentality of averageness. You'd be happy to build a little barrier around our state and lock us all in and everyone else out (although who would you ever write crime posts about!?). We are not a perfect state. There are none. But there are plenty of great people and great ideas out there and anyone who is smart, open, and interested in living here should have a shot.

We did not magically grow out of the ground from this land. All of our families migrated here at one point. With them came new ideas that made this a great state. We don't need to wait for the blood to go "stale". No, not everyone who comes here will be desirable. But then again, there are plenty of native Minnesotans who aren't perfect either.

This state is not a metaphorical island. It cannot survive on its own. I think even dear Wendell would have agreed.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:23 AM

102 posts, read 197,007 times
Quote:

No one wants to change anything about it. I think when evaluating the pros and cons, Minneapolis might just match up with a lot of a families' needs. It's not like there are "thugs" charging like Genghis Khan to lay claim to your neighborhood corner.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:13 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
BeenHere4Ever is deathly afraid of gangs apparently! Since it seems like you've only lived here, you wouldn't know just how much worse almost every other city/state is when it comes to violent crime. Yes, Minneapolis is closer to average, but everywhere else is WELL below average and the state's violent crime index is one of the 5 to 10 lowest in the country.

Perspective makes all the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul