Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 AM

36 posts, read 84,913 times

Advertisements

Okay, so we moved here from California, and we need to get tires for the car that are better for snow. This became obvious the other day when it snowed. What is the best kind to get? Do you need to get tires for the winter and then get different ones in the spring when it warms up? I don't know anything about how to get the car ready for winter. Never had to think about that in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 10:48 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesplease View Post
Okay, so we moved here from California, and we need to get tires for the car that are better for snow. This became obvious the other day when it snowed. What is the best kind to get? Do you need to get tires for the winter and then get different ones in the spring when it warms up? I don't know anything about how to get the car ready for winter. Never had to think about that in California.
I just used all-season tires when I lived in MN. The only car I've owned that needed specialized snow tires was my old Supra with wider tires, and in the end the tires didn't matter. In an ice versus car battle, ice usually wins.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:10 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesplease View Post
what type of vehicle do you own? smaller and rear wheel drive vehicles are not going to handle as well as heavier, front-wheel drive cars.

I think the snow tires aren't really needed in all but the deepest snow conditions. I might be wrong, but I think those tires put less surface area on the hard packed snow and icy surfaces your more likely to encounter and provide less control. I think it was nearly 40 years ago since the last time I put snow tires on one of my cars.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
I have never used snow tires in Minnesota and I don't think most people do. Front wheel or four wheel drive is the most important thing. It is just a matter of having practice with driving on snow and ice. Be mindful of your speed and momentum, apply the breaks early and gradually. If you are being tailgated by somebody ingore them keep in mind that Minnesotans are actually terrible winter drivers compared to other places that have real winter, many drive way to fast for the conditions.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,414 times
Yep, I've lived in MN for 25 out of my 30 years (and Iowa for the other 5) and never used anything other than all-season tires.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:48 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,465 times
Like others have said, you shouldn't have any problems with a good pair of all-season tires. The big issue the other day was ice. Most people--even those with good winter tires--are going to slip and slide on ice.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I have never used snow tires in Minnesota and I don't think most people do. Front wheel or four wheel drive is the most important thing. It is just a matter of having practice with driving on snow and ice. Be mindful of your speed and momentum, apply the breaks early and gradually. If you are being tailgated by somebody ingore them keep in mind that Minnesotans are actually terrible winter drivers compared to other places that have real winter, many drive way to fast for the conditions.
have to give you props on this as I LOL'd about the notion that our drivers have some inherrent ability to master winter driving when any 1/4" snowfall cause gridlock as such as what ocurred this Monday when many people had the day off anyways.

duh...I'm stomping on my brake pedal and ain't nuthin' happenin' here

Old 11-14-2012, 02:13 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
I replied to a similar Q in the Wi, Milwaukee sub forum and said what most Minnesotans said here and got slammed for not recommending a dedicated winter snow tire mounted on a 2nd set of rims.
My parents had 2nd set of winter tires back in the days before radial tires.

I recommended a set of good all season tires with the M&S (snowflake) symbol. the more sipping the better, ( sipping, those little squiggle lines cut into the tire)

All of my plow trucks and suv run all seasons too.
(but I do have tire chains for them also.)
The plow trucks have to move even in the worst weather.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:24 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I replied to a similar Q in the Wi, Milwaukee sub forum and said what most Minnesotans said here and got slammed for not recommending a dedicated winter snow tire mounted on a 2nd set of rims.
My parents had 2nd set of winter tires back in the days before radial tires.

I recommended a set of good all season tires with the M&S (snowflake) symbol. the more sipping the better, ( sipping, those little squiggle lines cut into the tire)

All of my plow trucks and suv run all seasons too.
(but I do have tire chains for them also.)
The plow trucks have to move even in the worst weather.
Minnesota doesn't get as much snow as some places (such as areas in the mountains or areas that get lake effect snow from the grate lakes), and the Twin Cities area in particular is very good about removing snow quickly, so snow tires aren't really that helpful except during/after a medium to large snowfall. Most of the winter, at least during normal seasons, will be spent driving on wet asphalt (due to the metro's use of melting agent) or on fairly tight/compressed snow pack where a snow tire would probably not matter that much.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:38 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Milwaukee receives I believe around 54-56" on avg and the Avg annual snowfall in the Twin Cities is something like 44-48" inches and they both have very smiler winter Avg temps.
those #'s for Milwaukee are right next to the lake as soon as you go inland a little they fall of dramatically.
They get much less snow than the Twin Cities.

Not enough of a difference to warrant a dedicated snow.jmo

I believe the folks in Milwaukee know about plows and ice melting agents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Minnesota doesn't get as much snow as some places (such as areas in the mountains or areas that get lake effect snow from the grate lakes), and the Twin Cities area in particular is very good about removing snow quickly, so snow tires aren't really that helpful except during/after a medium to large snowfall. Most of the winter, at least during normal seasons, will be spent driving on wet asphalt (due to the metro's use of melting agent) or on fairly tight/compressed snow pack where a snow tire would probably not matter that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul