Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 AM

120 posts, read 209,029 times

Advertisements

Downtown is probably the only part of town that is comparable to NY/NJ. However, if you're looking for a more suburban feel, you can't go wrong with Edina (family friendly) or St. Louis Park (younger and cheaper but nice).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 12:53 PM

59 posts, read 103,382 times
Hi Weis007,

First of all, don't listen to MPLS_TC - there are a ton of great things to love about the Twin Cities, and I know a good handful of people who have moved here from NYC and although they still bemoan our delis in comparison (although I'm a fan of Rye Deli, Crossroads and Cecil's, I understand that NY delis are a totally different breed), they're really happy here.

You're already moving here, so I'm sure I don't need to sell you on the Twin Cities, but our cities have consistently made CNN's list for best small cities, best communities for young people, healthiest cities, greenest cities, most bike-friendly cities, best places to raise children, and of course, we have more arts per capita than NY, which is pretty fabulous too.

All that said, now that you are moving here (yeah!), I understand that you're looking for a neighborhood that will feel like NYC in its urbanness but also be more affordable and more child-friendly than Manhattan. One of the amazing things about living in Minneapolis and/or St. Paul is that you can live in "The City" and still have space, and greenery, safety, and good schools.

There are some wonderful family-friendly neighborhoods in Minneapolis and St. Paul. When my wife & I were looking for our home (we eventually went the suburban route & bought a home in 2nd ring suburb Hopkins) we picked the best St. Paul & Minneapolis neighborhoods to look at by checking out the crime statistics on the police department's website, plus information about great restaurants and parks/lakes (always a good thing to have near you).

In St. Paul, there are great neighborhoods including Highland Park (we have family that live their happily), and I'd add Merriam Park (family there too), Macalester-Groveland, Summit Hill, Cathedral Hill, and St. Anthony Park. In Minneapolis, Uptown and Calhoun Isles, Linden Hills, Lake Harriet area, but it really comes down to price.

If you want to live slightly out of the city (significant drop in tax rates, but still the urban vibe and proximity to lakes), I'd recommend looking at St. Louis Park. It's a 1st ring suburb right nearby the hip Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis. Pricier than the suburbs past it, but cheaper than the nicer neighborhoods in Minneapolis. Still good public transportation (Although not as great as Minneapolis).

Hope that's helpful! Let me know if I can answer any other questions!

Best,

Michael

Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 PM

6 posts, read 8,432 times
I would say the Whittier/Steven square neighborhood would be great for you, honestly in my opinion exactly what your looking for. I lived in an apartment there more (specfically franklin and nicollet) I was able to walk right down eat street and nicollet mall. Your not downtown but your close enough you could take about a 5 block walk and your there. As far as public transportation goes Minneapolis in general is really good as far as accessability but in this area its really great.. like a bus stop on every corner.

Seward is alright for what your looking for but I tend to prefer more of the west end.. I'd also look into the lowry hill, and loring park neighborhoods.. nokomis and calhoun are very nice but getting a little further from downtown but as far as buying a home they would be better for that.

oh yeah and for a rental in minneapolis 3,000 would get you far, a very nice place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul