U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-13-2007, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,544 times

Advertisements

Im moving to the twin cities area in the near future and im looking for a smaller town, are there any towns commutable to the cities (within an hours commute) that are more rural as opposed to many of the suburban areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 08:53 PM

60 posts, read 122,651 times
are you interested in the minneapolis side of town or st paul. For St. Paul you could probably consider Hastings, it is kind of a cute town right on the river.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:15 PM

120 posts, read 304,292 times
Default On the West side of Mnneapolis?

There's Hutchinson...A cute rural town with some nice old buildings...

Old 10-14-2007, 06:31 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,235,946 times
Elko and Cannon Falls come to mind. They are both smaller towns, although growing, that are pretty rural. Both have a central downtown area and spread out from there. A lot of the new construction in Elko is on larger, acre+ lots.

Hutchinson is a great town too.

How small do you want to go? Henderson is close to that hour commute but a cute river town.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:42 PM

8 posts, read 39,533 times
Buffalo or Maple Plain are under 1 hour west, those aren't bad.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:01 PM

3,525 posts, read 5,742,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris4455 View Post
Im moving to the twin cities area in the near future and im looking for a smaller town, are there any towns commutable to the cities (within an hours commute) that are more rural as opposed to many of the suburban areas
It really depends greatly on where you will be commuting to. I live on the northwest side of the cities and commute to Bloomington. I wouldn't wish my commute on anyone...well maybe one of my co-workers. If you could give us an idea of where I betcha you'd get some great ideas! There are so many wonderful small towns all around the cities.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:52 PM

4,267 posts, read 7,289,844 times
Take the country roads from St Paul to Bayport south of I-95. That will take you thro places like Afton, Lakeland and Lakeland Shores along the St Croix Trail. Going north of I-95 takes you thro Lake Elmo and Siegel. All this area is rural and quite pretty. And if you want really rural, try across the border in places like Somerset, WI.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:51 PM

6 posts, read 19,394 times
I am in kind of the same boat. My wife and i work in E.P. and Bloomington. we are looking at Waconia anybody have any thoughts on this city?

Old 10-22-2007, 06:17 PM

20,797 posts, read 32,235,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30cent View Post
I am in kind of the same boat. My wife and i work in E.P. and Bloomington. we are looking at Waconia anybody have any thoughts on this city?
We considered Waconia when we moved to the cities. It is a lovely town on the lake with older neighborhoods, mature trees, etc. It was just too far of a commute for DH in Bloomington (by the Mall of America). It would be someplace we would consider for retirement some day though.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:25 PM

1,777 posts, read 3,526,977 times
Default small towns - commutable

some great small towns off of highway 12 west of the cities - waverly, howard lake, winsted are some neat little towns, waverly's about 35 - 40 minute drive to the cities, rush hour will take a little longer but they are expanding the highway (maybe turning it into interstate?-not sure) all the way up to this area which will make the commute much more easy/ doable. New houses are being built in these areas in developments but it is still pretty small town/ rural. St. Bonifacius (spelling?) is another neat little town, this isn't far from Waconia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul