U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 07:31 AM

43 posts, read 79,334 times

Advertisements

I guess it is safe to say that everyone has different experiences and opinions. I was hoping to get a general feel of the best places to live... When you all talk about the South, do you mean Apple Valley, Egan? Everyone talks about North Oaks, Mahtomedi, Arden Hills (certain area), Stillwater, Shoreview. Forest Lake might be too far for a commute? Not sure about Lino Lakes? I think I remember some of you saying Woodbury does not have a lot of options when it comes to driving to St. Paul.... like only 94?

White Bear Lake with the water issues... is it true what Dave talks about? If there is contamination then that could be a concern.

Although we are coming up for 4 days to look at some homes, I don't think that will be enough time to really get a feel. I am hoping we will know when we see the towns, but who knows

My 1.5 year old boy is already copying his 9 year old brother with the hockey stick & puck. My 3 year old boy appears to like hockey as well, but both younger boys have not been on the ice yet. Hoping to get them on soon.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and comments.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 10:58 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,202,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocndvr View Post
I guess it is safe to say that everyone has different experiences and opinions. I was hoping to get a general feel of the best places to live... When you all talk about the South, do you mean Apple Valley, Egan? Everyone talks about North Oaks, Mahtomedi, Arden Hills (certain area), Stillwater, Shoreview. Forest Lake might be too far for a commute? Not sure about Lino Lakes? I think I remember some of you saying Woodbury does not have a lot of options when it comes to driving to St. Paul.... like only 94?

White Bear Lake with the water issues... is it true what Dave talks about? If there is contamination then that could be a concern.

Although we are coming up for 4 days to look at some homes, I don't think that will be enough time to really get a feel. I am hoping we will know when we see the towns, but who knows

My 1.5 year old boy is already copying his 9 year old brother with the hockey stick & puck. My 3 year old boy appears to like hockey as well, but both younger boys have not been on the ice yet. Hoping to get them on soon.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and comments.
No one really knows what is happening with White Bear Lake. The water levels are dropping by a lot. There is speculation but no real answers.

I would take Forrest Lake off your list. You have much better all around options to consider. It's an ok place, but I think people are just recommending it because of the big lake there. The schools are ok, not on par with Mahtomedi, Stillwater, etc. though.

Hockey isn't going to be an issue anywhere so don't worry about that. Some schools obviously have better programs than others. Typically the St. Paul and Minneapolis schools don't have great hockey. St. Paul Johnson used to, but not so much now. The good thing is that they will learn to play in MN. That gives them a leg up already.

Eventually your budget will determine where you live. Yes, Woodbury has 94 as a commuting option for highway/freeway options. Yes, there are some surface streets with lots of stop signs and stoplights that travel at 30 MPH that route you through residential areas that you can use to bypass 94 but they are not realistic options for a daily commute but are nice options in bad snowfall.

Really though, with the exception of a handful of districts or so--mostly inner city/first ring suburbs, you really can't go wrong with schools here. There are exceptions like Edina to that though too.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:47 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,751,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
davephan--that isn't even remotely close to true--south suburbs have 5 freeways/highways to take you into St. Paul along with numerous surface streets. Having lived in both the east side of the metro and the south said, it is FAR easier to commute to St. Paul from the south suburbs any day. 94 is the second busiest freeway in the metro--it's ALWAYS backed up.
I've been commuting between Woodbury and downtown St Paul for 15 years during rush hour. I-94 between downtown St Paul and the 694/494 freeway loop isn't that bad.

My comments about the southern suburban areas come from co-workers who live in the Eagan/Apple Valley area. They talk a lot about how bad their commute is to downtown St Paul.

Dave

Old 01-01-2013, 01:17 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,751,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No one really knows what is happening with White Bear Lake. The water levels are dropping by a lot. There is speculation but no real answers.

The low water levels for White Bear Lake has been in the news many times in the recent years. A couple of college students studied it and determined that there is a connection under White Bear Lake to the Prairie du Chien-Jordan aquifer. Later, a company was hired to investigate the problem, and they came up with the same conclusion.

If you do some research with Google, you will find those stories about White Bear Lake and the fact that nearby lakes to White Bear Lake do not have the low water problems. Here's a story about the low water level problem: Why is White Bear Lake so dry? It's not just drought. - TwinCities.com

You will also find information about the TCE contamination to the Prairie du Chien-Jordan aquifer, which is totally unrelated to White Bear Lake. It took some time for the source of the contamination to be located. At first it was thought to be caused at the Lake Elmo Airport. Then a nearby farm was suspected because it was the only location in the area that refused to be tested. Finally, the source was found about 2 miles west of the Lake Elmo airport where an auto repair business was located. The former auto repair business is now Hagberg Country Market, 11325 Stillwater Blvd, Lake Elmo. The owner of the auto repair business could not be located. That pollution site is one of the Minnesota cleanup super-sites. We first heard about the TCE pollution over 10 years ago when we were looking at real estate in Baytown Townhship, just east of the Lake Elmo airport. Here's more information about the contamination: Baytown Township Ground Water Plume - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you do a little research about both stories, you will find a lot of information, and you can confirm what I am telling you.

Before we moved to Woodbury ten years ago, we looked all over the east metro area and western Wisconsin. We did look at White Bear Lake. I recall that did not have the low water level problem ten years ago.

Dave

Old 01-03-2013, 01:27 PM

78 posts, read 193,277 times
To the OP...... let us know what you find while you are there. STill hoping to move to St. Paul.

P.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:20 PM

3,928 posts, read 3,648,800 times
409 Quixote Avenue N, Lakeland, MN 55043 | Listing Information

The St Croix river is the best long thin lake in town, you can boat to fun towns of Hudson, WI, Stillwater, state parks, etc...all along the river that looks like a lake.

All North Oaks lakes can't have boats with motors on them, they're all apart of the St Paul waterworks.

My fiance and I have been searching for lake homes in the $500-900k range in the last year and houses are not selling for asking price, all we've watched sold for much less then asking.

Homes on White Bear Lake are smaller and older in that price range and taxes are much higher then other surrounding lakes.

2790 Victoria Street N, Roseville, MN 55113 | Listing Information

Here's a nice "newer" home in Roseville which is a good city that borders both St Paul and Minneapolis and has a good hockeyprogram. We toured this home but didn't fit our wants. Its been for sale for maybe two years or so.

Just use edinarealty.com and click the waterfront property on the features on the left side, its by far the best site to use because it shows all homes for sale on it.

Hope all this helps, good luck!

-Scott

Last edited by wamer27; 01-05-2013 at 10:49 PM..

Old 01-16-2013, 06:20 PM

43 posts, read 79,334 times
Thanks for the information... Our trip to St. Paul was great! Our realtor Don Joyce of Edina took us around to all the places you all talked about. I think it is still difficult to decided from just one trip, and reading about it. We found a home we liked in Stillwater and North Oaks. I think we went to Shoreview, Stillwater, North Oaks, Mahtomedi, Egan, and Apple Valley.

So, Rosemont and Lakeland are other places to look?

We were really impressed with Edina Realty... especially with Don Joyce.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,202,783 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information... Our trip to St. Paul was great! Our realtor Don Joyce of Edina took us around to all the places you all talked about. I think it is still difficult to decided from just one trip, and reading about it. We found a home we liked in Stillwater and North Oaks. I think we went to Shoreview, Stillwater, North Oaks, Mahtomedi, Egan, and Apple Valley.

Lakeland is in the Stillwater School district, more "rural" then anything. There is also a Lakeville, which is south of Apple Valley, also an option for you. Rosemount is wonderful .

Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,002,137 times
I have a friend who lived in Lakeland. Very nice little town by Afton. Just be sure not to buy a property too close to St. Croix as it floods quite frequently down by the river. Lovely little town though.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:54 AM

1,617 posts, read 4,977,105 times
Quote:

I'm not surprised. Edina Realty are well known in the twin cities as top-of-the-line. That trip must have been an all-day outing, because that's covering an impressive amount of area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or