U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-01-2009, 02:34 AM

9,913 posts, read 14,635,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
Thanks for replying! I've seen your name on the Atlanta forum as well. :-) We have a few contacts in Atlanta and will be paying them a visit in the upcoming months.
I think it's best to see the area(s) you're interested in for yourselves, and I would also suggest renting for a while once you get there so you can get a real long-term feel for things.

I live just OTP by the 75/285 junction, so I can't really say much about the neighborhoods in Atlanta proper. There are plenty in that forum who can, however. [/quote]

Quote:
With regards to the original post... my husband is adamant that he has always been made to feel like an "outsider" in Minnesota. He just said that again last night. Since Atlanta has a HUGE [and growing] transplant population, I can't say I felt the same when I lived in Atlanta - albeit that was nearly 20 years ago now!
Yes, gaining 100,000 new people a year does tend to make an area a lot more open to outsiders, although that sense of openness might depend on who you are and where you came from ... and it might not exist in smaller towns not in the metro.

I never thought MN was that way (closed to outsiders), but being a native I had no real basis for comparison, and I do admit that my circle of friends was largely folks from college and friends I met either through them or through work ... but some of them were from outside MN.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 10:14 AM

550 posts, read 1,017,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired-of-mn View Post
Moving this spring to find work.For the first time in 18 years I cant find a job in MN.

Oh and for the poster that talked about racisim in MN compared to GA.I have alot of family in GA , atlanta, and georgia has towns where ' if your not white your not welcome'. And they mean that in a violent sort of way. You just dont have that in minnesota.

I heard on the news today that Minnesota Unemployment Rates are currently at a 40-year high... not sure how that compares to other parts of the country.

+++

I do not disagree with your comment that in GA certain areas still have the "if you are not white you are not welcome" attitude.... but my point is that in GA you at least you often have a pretty good idea of where you stand with people in these matters.

We are not going to move to a small town in Georgia... intown Atlanta is our destination. But yes, most small towns in georgia are rather segregated, although it seems to be largely self-segregation [my brother-in-law, a black man in Georgia, says he's never had any white friends and he never will have any white friends - I guess that includes his white sister-in-law - but at least i know where I stand with him... fair warning...]

By contrast, "Minnesota Nice" is not-so-nice when you suddenly discover a long-time acquaintance/friend has been "faking" acceptance and approval of your inter-racial marriage for YEARS UPON YEARS...

We've been on the receiving end of Not-So-Minnesota-Nice one too many times!

Good luck in your move and job hunt!

Old 02-01-2009, 11:06 AM

550 posts, read 1,017,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
You complain about the lack of African American activities, etc and I think that is the problem! Why not just embrace Minnesotan culture without having to limit yourself to only African American things?
Just to clarify...

we are not limiting ourselves to only African-American things - not in the least... it's just that, compared to living in some other areas of the country, here in Minnesota the African-American community and cultural events are significantly limited...

I am white and grew up in Shakopee, when Shakopee was a small town [population 10k in the late '80s... I am native Minnesotian through and through... My family is here...

Since we got married and started our family 16+ years ago, we have spent many weekends in the summer months at my grandparent's lake cabin with my extended family... and most holidays with my family. My uncle lives on Lake Minnetonka. We've boated, waterskied, snowmobiled, ice skated, gone fishing and ice fishing - snowboarding and snowskiing... Aquatennial and Winter Carnival... vacationed in Duluth/Lake Superior and Gull Lake/Brainerd...

+++

My husband misses the south, he misses being in close proximity to his family...

The fact is, seeking out African-American community is something he didn't even think about doing until recently... he's been totally immersed in a predominately-to-all white community for 17 years now...

I guess you could say he's "homesick"...

Because our kids are 1/2 black, and they don't have any extended family from their dad's side of the family here in Minnesota, we feel it's necessary to seek out and expose them to African-American community and culture... we just came to this realization in the past couple of years...

If we were living in a predominately black community and culture, I think it would be equally important to seek out white community and culture for our children to experience...

It's important for their self-identity to be exposed EXTENSIVELY to both black and white community and culture...

Until VERY recently, my husband has not had enough black friends since moving to Minnesota [ 17 years ago ] to count on one hand!

He has NOT, since moving to Minnesota, "kept to his own kind" - by any stretch of the imagination!

Last edited by StPaulEastSider; 02-01-2009 at 11:19 AM..

Old 02-19-2009, 12:31 AM

59 posts, read 124,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushigirlie View Post
The weather is terrible, people are not welcoming to newcomers, high taxes are the highlights. You will hear a few people on this forum telling you otherwise, but that's because they lived in MN all their life and don't know what it's like to own a passport.

There are a few good things here, but not enough to keep me there.
Exectly. Winters are horroble! Summers are very hot and very humid! Girls are fat and ugly! 99%! No public transportation! No people outside like in Boston or New York! Minneapolis/St. Paul Looks like dead city. If you never lived in normal place you probably will like MN(if you from cornfarm) but if you lived in London, Berlin, NY, Miami, LA you'l never come here in MN! This place for person who want to waist live and have no memory at the end! Because it's nothing hapening here! Nothing!!! Pleace for plants!

Old 02-19-2009, 01:06 AM

20 posts, read 46,785 times
we can tell you're not from minnesota by your horrific butchering of the english language.

pleace for plants? whatever you say buddy...

Old 02-19-2009, 09:09 PM

27,550 posts, read 22,907,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlusPlus View Post
Exectly. Winters are horroble! Summers are very hot and very humid! Girls are fat and ugly! 99%! No public transportation! No people outside like in Boston or New York! Minneapolis/St. Paul Looks like dead city. If you never lived in normal place you probably will like MN(if you from cornfarm) but if you lived in London, Berlin, NY, Miami, LA you'l never come here in MN! This place for person who want to waist live and have no memory at the end! Because it's nothing hapening here! Nothing!!! Pleace for plants!
I'll take a Minneapolis winter over an Atlanta summer. You think summers are bad in Mpls, go to Atlanta and come back to me. Sometimes we get summer in April.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 PM

80 posts, read 159,949 times
I think minnesota summers are probably the best summers I've ever experienced. if you think it's humid, you haven't tried 100% humidity.

but yeah, I wanna move out because the winters and I feel isolated form the rest of the world. It takes freaking forever to reach another big city like chicago, and after that it's just hours of driving. If you fly it still costs a lot. West coast is minimum $350 r/t, if you are lucky. I just feel FAR from everything and a bit disconnected from the rest of the world.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:58 PM

27,550 posts, read 22,907,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Punk View Post
I think minnesota summers are probably the best summers I've ever experienced. if you think it's humid, you haven't tried 100% humidity.

but yeah, I wanna move out because the winters and I feel isolated form the rest of the world. It takes freaking forever to reach another big city like chicago, and after that it's just hours of driving. If you fly it still costs a lot. West coast is minimum $350 r/t, if you are lucky. I just feel FAR from everything and a bit disconnected from the rest of the world.
From what some Minnesotans have told me, summers are very nice in MN.

Mpls might be far away from many things, but a high quality of life according to some magazines is a plus.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:36 AM

9,913 posts, read 14,635,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I'll take a Minneapolis winter over an Atlanta summer. You think summers are bad in Mpls, go to Atlanta and come back to me. Sometimes we get summer in April.
Aw, the summers in Atlanta aren't that bad. Just really really really really long.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:19 AM

59 posts, read 124,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa tweedle View Post
we can tell you're not from minnesota by your horrific butchering of the english language.

pleace for plants? whatever you say buddy...
Yes, but I speak 3 languages + English body!
Yes, MN place for plants, because it is in the middle of nowhere. Nothing going on here. Where you can go? To Chicago? And where also? In Iowa on the cornfield? In North Dacota? Again, if you never lived in normal city like LA, Miami, York, London, Berlin, Barcelona, Zurich you will never understand me. I don't want to offend anyone, but also I want to inform people, protect from mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul