Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 09:22 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,641 times

Advertisements

http://www.padmapper.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 12:23 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowser307 View Post
Will be visiting in march .
I think you will start to see a LOT more listings when you arrive in March. Right now there just aren't as many, as fewer people are moving (whether by choice or due to lease). Since so many places in Minneapolis require 60 days notice, you'll start to see listings really pick up definitely by March, as the March ads can be for units available in April and even in May. So while the lower number of winter move-outs don't impact you, they do translate into fewer ads on CL, etc., right now.

If you want lake access, also keep an eye on rentals on the west Calhoun area. There are a bunch of apartment buildings over there, including some with fairly reasonable rents. I'm guessing that by this spring rents will still probably be cheaper towards lake Nokomis or Hiawatha, as those areas still are generally better deals than anywhere near Uptown or SW Minneapolis.

It's important to me to stay in Minneapolis and live close by family, but if not for that we'd also give more attention to St. Paul; it's much more affordable, and has a lot going for it. Have you considered somewhere like the Como neighborhood? You'd have lakes and places to roller blade. It may be worth keeping an open mind. Otherwise, I'm sure you can find something in south Minneapolis this spring if you're a little flexible, especially on the bathroom. There should be a LOT more units listed by the time you arrive in March.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:23 PM

24 posts, read 59,388 times
thanxs for the info. I hope to have a huge list before I arrive and go and see them,and decide from there. I could do nokomis and Hiawatha.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:09 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
OP, yes, there is truth to the construction pipeline question. Part of your problem (expensive rents) explains the reasoning. There just aren't that many apartments to rent in Minneapolis and demand is pushing prices to unaffordable levels. As a result there are nearly 10,000 apartments under construction, proposed or approved right now in the City of Minneapolis, and most of that in concentrated in the following handful of areas: downtown, uptown, U of M/Northeast, and Hiawatha. So as an electrician you MAY see a lot of potential business through all of this construction through 2014....if you are part of a company that is involved with it. You'll also likely see many more apartments come online as soon as next Spring/Summer and prices begin to level off or even drop, depending on how the market reacts to the surge in supply.

Good luck with your move!

Old 12-26-2012, 10:30 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,967 times
My thought would be look around for affordable apartments with the least travel inconvenience. I've lived many places in Minneapolis, and the ones I lived in were all satisfactory. I'd certainly NOT choose some ideal part of town and then sweat the cost of rent. You can go to the police statistics if you want to know relative crime rates. NE Mpls, the 2nd precinct, has one of the lowest in the city, with maybe Kenwood-Isles being better. And even first ring suburbs are pretty convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul