Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
I'm not arguing with you here, but I am curious to know what places other than Reflections exist. The only stops in Bloomington are American Blvd Station, Bloomington Central, 28th Street Station, and then MOA. American Blvd is to cater to the hotel crowd and Bloomington Central is next to reflections. 28th is a Park-and-Ride. MOA is MOA. I see nothing else that is anywhere nearby, but if I'm wrong, please let me know (I'm seriously not sure!)

Some of the Reflections condos are going to have some excellent views, but if you're too low, you're going to see planes taking off, MOA, or hotels. And you're certain to see traffic-filled streets. They are wedged in with busy hotels, MOA, 494, and the airport. If that's what the OP wants, that's fine. Reflections looks really cool as a building and the easy access to shopping, the airport, and the highway (albeit, one of the most clogged in the metro), but if you're looking for serene streets outside, you're better off finding a place in the city on a sidestreet than in one of the busiest areas of the metro for traffic.
There are several complexes along Old Shakopee Road around Health Partners, to the MOA, east of MOA a couple blocks too. I don't know the names of all of them, just have driven past them 1000 times. The AM Blvd stop is walking distance to about 15 major office complexes, not just the couple hotels there. Behind the Holiday in is a 5 or 6 building complex, Apple Tree Square, across 34th there are several as well as across that other small street behind AppleTree. Then down American there are several buildings as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 02:59 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
There are several complexes along Old Shakopee Road around Health Partners, to the MOA, east of MOA a couple blocks too. I don't know the names of all of them, just have driven past them 1000 times. The AM Blvd stop is walking distance to about 15 major office complexes, not just the couple hotels there. Behind the Holiday in is a 5 or 6 building complex, Apple Tree Square, across 34th there are several as well as across that other small street behind AppleTree. Then down American there are several buildings as well.
Those stops are all close to things for sure...including office complexes in walking distance. I just mean that in terms of apartments, it doesn't seem likely that the OP will find much that's within 2-3 blocks (spitballing on how far they're willing to walk) of any of those stations because most of it just isn't residential. If they can find something, then great! (Assuming it meets their needs/wants).

I do see a few places just south of MOA/Killibrew that I missed before. Those are certainly options, though crossing Killibrew would be no small task (it gets up to 9 lanes at the one intersection, after all) if they're going for the light rail. But certainly an option to consider!

Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Those stops are all close to things for sure...including office complexes in walking distance. I just mean that in terms of apartments, it doesn't seem likely that the OP will find much that's within 2-3 blocks (spitballing on how far they're willing to walk) of any of those stations because most of it just isn't residential. If they can find something, then great! (Assuming it meets their needs/wants).

I do see a few places just south of MOA/Killibrew that I missed before. Those are certainly options, though crossing Killibrew would be no small task (it gets up to 9 lanes at the one intersection, after all) if they're going for the light rail. But certainly an option to consider!
There are top lights with crossing signals there. It's probably easier to cross on foot than car because you can cross when the rail is coming-past the turn into the mall. As for things to do--um, there is a HUGE mall with a lot of entertainment options right there . Most of the hotels have nice lounges/bars. There are several other restaurants outside of the mall that attract the younger crowd in the area (TGI Friday's, etc.). He will probably find more to do in the evenings there then in downtown Minneapolis and most certainly more to do on the weekends.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
There are top lights with crossing signals there. It's probably easier to cross on foot than car because you can cross when the rail is coming-past the turn into the mall. As for things to do--um, there is a HUGE mall with a lot of entertainment options right there . Most of the hotels have nice lounges/bars. There are several other restaurants outside of the mall that attract the younger crowd in the area (TGI Friday's, etc.). He will probably find more to do in the evenings there then in downtown Minneapolis and most certainly more to do on the weekends.
Certainly an option and I never disagreed that there would be no stuff to do, though you'll certainly have to face the traffic realities of being near an entertainment and shopping complex.

I did peek at some street views of the area just south of Killibrew and it's pretty hit or miss. Several of the buildings look a bit run down, though they could be nice. But you could probably get more for your money either in another suburban area or further into the city, especially when the OP is willing to spend 1000-1150/month. This might be especially true since I'm guessing most of the older buildings are not sound-proofed for airplanes like Reflections is.

As for things to do again, this will really depend on what sort of activities and nightlife the OP likes. Certainly the MOA area will have lots of shopping, restaurants, etc., though the mall area is not a place known for non-chains. If they like clubs, upscale bars, or a greater variety of non-chain places, they might appreciate another area (whether that's downtown, elsewhere in the city, or another suburb).

In a way, we've really hyper-focused on Bloomington because of the light rail, but if the city isn't something the OP wants, suburbs like St. Louis Park to the west, Roseville to the north, or many other places might have what they want. And don't forget places in St. Paul! There's a lot of very nice neighborhoods over there and there will be a light rail within about a year with a lot of new development going up (including apartments that would have places in the OP's range).

Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Certainly an option and I never disagreed that there would be no stuff to do, though you'll certainly have to face the traffic realities of being near an entertainment and shopping complex.

I did peek at some street views of the area just south of Killibrew and it's pretty hit or miss. Several of the buildings look a bit run down, though they could be nice. But you could probably get more for your money either in another suburban area or further into the city, especially when the OP is willing to spend 1000-1150/month. This might be especially true since I'm guessing most of the older buildings are not sound-proofed for airplanes like Reflections is.

As for things to do again, this will really depend on what sort of activities and nightlife the OP likes. Certainly the MOA area will have lots of shopping, restaurants, etc., though the mall area is not a place known for non-chains. If they like clubs, upscale bars, or a greater variety of non-chain places, they might appreciate another area (whether that's downtown, elsewhere in the city, or another suburb).

In a way, we've really hyper-focused on Bloomington because of the light rail, but if the city isn't something the OP wants, suburbs like St. Louis Park to the west, Roseville to the north, or many other places might have what they want. And don't forget places in St. Paul! There's a lot of very nice neighborhoods over there and there will be a light rail within about a year with a lot of new development going up (including apartments that would have places in the OP's range).
Except he wants to either walk or take the light rail.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Except he wants to either walk or take the light rail.
That's true, though also mentioned was the option to drive. If you live in an inner-ring suburb, most commutes to downtown wouldn't be horrendous. If the OP wants to live in the city, driving is even easier to downtown, though at that point, you might as well bus...they come often enough, take about the same time, and are cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul