Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynneph View Post
When we were at the Mall of America over the holidays we met a nice gal (figure skater) that is giving us some tips also. What are your thoughts on her thoughts???

"Good to know Amaya did some research to see what she likes! Bloomington and St. Paul are both really great choices that she is feeling drawn towards. St. Paul is a really nice area to live in. Although, it does have old charm; it's got some really nice, safe areas. I grew up in the Merriam Park neighborhood (cross streets were Selby and Dewey) and that is right off Summit Ave which is one of the nicest stretches of homes in the State. I also last year lived in Highland Park in a really great, updated townhome. I like the Highland Park area a lot. (Ford Parkway and Cleveland Ave would be cross streets). Additionally, Grand Ave is a nice stretch of shops/entertainment/restuarants and there is an area called Victoria Crossing.
Only problem is you run into the school issue in those neighborhoods.....

Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Only problem is you run into the school issue in those neighborhoods.....
No, you don't. Those parts of St. Paul have excellent high school options.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 AM

20 posts, read 26,031 times
thank you so much!! very helpful!!

Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
you won't find huge lot and wooded by Lake Calhoun, although with the lake right there you might not care! Some of the Cedar Lake areas feel more woodsy and remote. Drive will depend on lots of factors. It's a short distance, but all it takes is one accident to slow it down. I think most people on the Uptown side of Lake Calhoun take one of the express buses to the U -- there are a couple of express routes that serve the area (also the other side of the lake), and it's a really easy, quick ride if you let the bus drivers handle it! (Probably would save you a ton of time, too, as no need to park)

You could check out Golden Valley -- there are some very wooded lots there, and it's not too far. Closer to the U is the Prospect Park neighborhood; those lots aren't massive, but it does feel very park-like and wooded back in there, and it's really close to the U (yet not a student neighborhood -- popular with faculty). Pratt Elementary School is tucked in there. And along the East River Road towards St. Paul has some big houses, big lots, and right by the river. Really, your options are going to be most limited (or not limited, if you are lucky) by budget.
thanks so much!! very helpful!!! what is Pratt like? it got some awful reviews on-line web sites, but maybe that is meaningless? thank you.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Chances of finding that house are pretty much zero, sorry. You aren't finding a lot of private elementary schools because the public schools here are top notch so most people just don't pay for private schools unless they want to add the religious aspect to their kids' education.

If you want wooded lots near a lake I would suggest looking in Mahtomedi (Ma-toe-me-die). It's a pretty easy commute to the U and some of the best schools in the nation.
thank you so much!! very helpful!!

Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
No, you don't. Those parts of St. Paul have excellent high school options.
I don't call schools that have their grounds fenced with razor wire "good".....they are not good schools when they can't get even 50% of the kids to graduate--give it up and accept that fact.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 PM

34 posts, read 42,245 times
thanks

Old 01-20-2013, 04:40 PM

So are you saying that Highland Park Senior High is not very good. It only has a #4 rating on Zillow. I am using Zillow to look for rentals. Ok for example. I found a great house on 2106 Highland Parkway, St Paul. This house would be perfect for us. Granite counters, nice appliances, lots of room etc. It is near the Ford Motor Co. So as an example, tell me your feelings on this house. Neighborhood, schools etc. She also recommended Summit Hill area and Merrium Park. You guys are such a big help.thanks

Old 01-20-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynneph View Post
So are you saying that Highland Park Senior High is not very good. It only has a #4 rating on Zillow. I am using Zillow to look for rentals. Ok for example. I found a great house on 2106 Highland Parkway, St Paul. This house would be perfect for us. Granite counters, nice appliances, lots of room etc. It is near the Ford Motor Co. So as an example, tell me your feelings on this house. Neighborhood, schools etc. She also recommended Summit Hill area and Merrium Park. You guys are such a big help.thanks
Busy road, one of the main roads in the area. Highland Park high school is a city school and with it, all the city school problems. Take that for what you want. There are 100 other high schools in the metro that are much better than any of the St. Paul city schools. If you like a cramped neighborhood with houses on top of each other with on street parking, and traffic coming and going all day long, it's a great fit for you. If not, look elsewhere.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:21 PM

Wow thanks. thats exactly what I don't want. The skating rink is by Linwood Park what areas of st paul do you recommend? we like this rink so it may be our home rink and i truly like the idea of it being LESS than a 30 minute drive from home. tell me about west st paul, mendota hts..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul