Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:25 PM

34 posts, read 42,278 times

Advertisements

The call of family is pulling me "back home" the the midwest. Having grown up in Superior, WI, I moved to Los Angeles 28 years ago but my 13 year old daughter and i have decided to give it a try for a year. We would like to rent a nice 3 bed/2bath house. I work from home and she is home schooled so commuting for work isn't a factor. She is a figure skater so I want to live near "our home rink". I have a brother who lives in Farmington, a niece in Bloomington and a niece in Burnsville. I am a jewelry craft vendor so I will be participating in weekend craft markets so living near artzy people is a consideration. But I don't want too hipster. I want nice neighbors who like to get to know one another and to be able to walk to get coffee or a 10 min ride for groceries, mall etc. I have been told that St Louis park is great as is West Bloomington. My daughter will need a good High School next year. I would appreciate any and all suggestions

Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Where is your home rink? Or are you looking for a home? Is she serious, and if so, do you have leads on coaches? Some rinks around here are more figure-skating friendly than others (most places have at least some figure skating hours, but not all rinks have USFSA clubs, and some have better or more hours than others; on the plus side, there are also enough rinks around that if you need to skate at a few different place to get the time you want you can still probably find lots of options within a short distance from home!). Unless you have a place already in mind, on that front I'd find the coach and the figure skating club you want first. The Twin Cities Figure Skating Association is a good resource for all things local relating to figure skating. TCFSA If she's into dance, pairs, synchro, etc., there's lots of opportunities for that around here, too. Unlike LA, there are ice rinks EVERYWHERE, so you will be able to find a good home club not too far from wherever you live.

What's your budget?

Old 01-14-2013, 10:29 PM

Default serious figure skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Where is your home rink? Or are you looking for a home? Is she serious, and if so, do you have leads on coaches? Some rinks around here are more figure-skating friendly than others (most places have at least some figure skating hours, but not all rinks have USFSA clubs, and some have better or more hours than others; on the plus side, there are also enough rinks around that if you need to skate at a few different place to get the time you want you can still probably find lots of options within a short distance from home!). Unless you have a place already in mind, on that front I'd find the coach and the figure skating club you want first. The Twin Cities Figure Skating Association is a good resource for all things local relating to figure skating. TCFSA If she's into dance, pairs, synchro, etc., there's lots of opportunities for that around here, too. Unlike LA, there are ice rinks EVERYWHERE, so you will be able to find a good home club not too far from wherever you live.

What's your budget?
We haven't made a choice for home rink yet. We need USFSA club. She competes nationally. We were at the Mall of America and actually met a figure skater who gave us a few leads and recommendations. Her favorite is St Paul. My daughters (after her research) is Bloomington. She still gets a little intimidated if every one is so serious. want that small town feel with good solid coaches and off ice classes for conditioning. Right now is LA, her rink is literally 3 minutes away but we planned it that way. We rented our house and moved to be closer to the rink. The commute was taking up way too much of my time. I WILL contact the Twin Cities Figure Skating Assoc. thanks for that. Our rental budget is under maximum $1700, needs are 3 bedrooms, 2 bath house with yard.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
There is actually a very successful figure skating club in New Ulm. You might want to check that one out as well. It's a smaller town with pretty much everything you want right there but not far from Mankato for more shopping, etc.

Neither Bloomington or St. Louis Park will give you that small town feel, they will be more like Duluth-just for a point of reference. Obviously smaller then LA though. If I had to pick between the two of them I would go with St. Louis Park because the high school is much better. If she likes the rink in Bloomington better, consider towns like Prior Lake. It would have the small town feel, good high school, not too far from Bloomington-but certainly more than 3 minutes.

On the St. Paul side, you have to get a bit further out to get a small town feel. Look into Stillwater on that side of the metro. It's an excellent fit for your arts lifestyle, just not as close to the rink as you probably want.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 PM

Where in LA do you live now? Are you looking for a similar vibe?

If she goes with Bloomington, and you can find a coach there that you like, might as well focus on Bloomington for housing. I think you should be able to find something in your size/price range there, and you'd be in a relatively central location also near family, and Jefferson HS (west Bloomington) has a good reputation.

It's been awhile since I've been in the competitive skating loop, but FYI, Westwood Sports -- also in Bloomington -- seemed to be where everyone went to buy their skates and to get them sharpened.

Since you need a high school next year, you might also want to figure out which schools are most flexible when it comes to the needs of competitive athletes. Schools have a lot of pressure to have strict attendance policies, and you'll want a school that is willing to give you a little flexibility or at least be understanding if you have to take some travel time during the peak competition season. I'm really not sure how that works these days -- maybe the TCFSA could tell you if some districts have been difficult to work with.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
I'm thinking the area around Uptown, like CARAG or Kenwood-Isles, if you can afford it (and while your'e at it, look at Linden Hills as well). Anywhere around the two main lakes would probably fit most of your needs.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM

The only problem with Uptown or Linden Hills would be budget, but I agree that it could be worth considering if you can find a place! No rink in the immediate areas, either, although Parade Ice Garden is nearby and would make a nice practice place (not a good home club though, as they are not USFSA.)

Another thought: I was browsing Craigslist today and noticed a nice-looking 3BR/2BA in the Seward neighborhood of Minneapolis that came in under your budget. Not sure how hard those are to find there, but it might also be worth a possibility. FSC of Minneapolis skates out of the Augsburg college rink (which is literally right there) and they have some good coaches and is less intense (or at least it was) than St. Paul. I believe - although you would have to check on this --- that the neighborhood kids are zoned for South High School (otherwise I know kids from that area go to South via its magnet options) which is very good. It's an artsy area, but not overly hipster. It's a nice neighborhood, interesting blend of people, nice sense of community, lots of local neighborhood hangouts to grab coffee or get a meal. It's a very different feel than Bloomington, but it might be worth visiting or considering all the same.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:23 PM

When we were at the Mall of America over the holidays we met a nice gal (figure skater) that is giving us some tips also. What are your thoughts on her thoughts???

"Good to know Amaya did some research to see what she likes! Bloomington and St. Paul are both really great choices that she is feeling drawn towards. St. Paul is a really nice area to live in. Although, it does have old charm; it's got some really nice, safe areas. I grew up in the Merriam Park neighborhood (cross streets were Selby and Dewey) and that is right off Summit Ave which is one of the nicest stretches of homes in the State. I also last year lived in Highland Park in a really great, updated townhome. I like the Highland Park area a lot. (Ford Parkway and Cleveland Ave would be cross streets). Additionally, Grand Ave is a nice stretch of shops/entertainment/restuarants and there is an area called Victoria Crossing.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:21 PM

I totally agree -- she's spot-on. St. Paul has some wonderful neighborhoods. The areas she mentioned are all excellent. Good high school options, too. And FSC of St. Paul is definitely a good choice for a serious figure skater. I used to skate some of their sessions when they were located at a different rink, and at the time my impression was that they were a destination club for people all over the metro area. But, of course, even better to cut out the commute and live nearby!

Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 AM

20 posts, read 26,037 times
Default more advice needed please

I am also relocating my family (husband got a new job) from LA area to Minneapolis, but we are in a different situation. Ideal would be a big wooded lot with huge warm house in biking distance from the University of Minneapolis with a fantastic elementary school right down the street. But I suspect this does not exist. So where else should we look? for housing or school? We are looking at private elementary schools, but don't see a lot of non-religious options. Also, how long does it take to drive from the Lake Calhoun areas to the University in rush hour traffic?

Thanks!!

Sheri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul