U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,885 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am going to be moving back home to Minnesota after being in San Antonio, Texas for the last 3 years. Needless to say I am thrilled to be back in normality!

I have noticed during my job/apartment search that much of what I remember has changed significantly. Highland Park in general. I am hearing mixed reviews, and am a little concerned about the uprise in crime in that area. Unless someone is pulling my leg?

I am recently single, female and would like to live/work in a nice and safe area, close to public transportation and grocery stores/shopping/etc. Highland seems so ideal, but the rumors have me a bit worried.

I am also not opposed to living in a suburb, as long as there is ample transportation for me to get here and there and everywhere. Eden Prairie is top on my list, but have always liked Eagan and Burnsville. Although I hear a lot of low income housing (Section 8) is popping up in those areas with less than reputable people moving in.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks for reading
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 06:23 PM

20,793 posts, read 56,745,269 times
If you like Burnsville and don't need to worry about schools there is a great community right on Nicollet and Highway 13 with newer apartments, great shops, restaurants, a performing arts center and a large transit station. Eagan will have similar amenities but not as compact as you will find in that area of Burnsville.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 PM

91 posts, read 246,742 times
Why not look through the St Paul Police department's crime maps and reports rather than make a decision based on rumors? City of St. Paul, MN - Official Website - Crime Statistics

Old 01-29-2013, 09:17 PM

10,630 posts, read 24,569,819 times
I haven't crunched the numbers and I don't live in Highland Park, but I haven't heard anything negative about it lately. It is still a highly desirable neighborhood. It's been in the news more often lately because the Ford plant closed a couple of years ago, and it's assumed that the land will be a really hot property for redevelopment, due to its excellent location.

If public transportation is an issue (beyond a more standard commute to/from downtown or maybe the U of MN), I'd stay away from most suburbs. The MVTA serves Eagan, Burnsville, etc., and it's pretty limited -- not a lot of lines, most routes aren't very frequent, and not all that efficient if you're dependent on it as your primary means of transportation. If you chose the right location to live (and could walk to the store, etc.) you'd probably be okay, but it wouldn't be easy. Certainly you'd have both better bus transportation and better walking in Highland Park.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 PM

413 posts, read 658,956 times
Highland Park sometimes includes the neighborhoods off W. 7th, which would make a difference in terms of crime rate. Up the hill you'd have nothing to be concerned about.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:37 PM

134 posts, read 174,523 times
I think, based on reputation and the crime stats from the city of St. Paul, Highland Park is probably a pretty safe neighborhood. I only looked at a couple maps, but it seems that most of the crime occurs in the areas immediately ringing Downtown and much less on the periphery.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:32 AM

116 posts, read 317,689 times
I shop, dine, ride the bus to/from 'downtown' Highland Park (Cleveland and Ford Pkwy) once or twice a week. I haven't ever witnessed anything shady. I have family who has lived in the area for 15 years...they say they haven't noticed anything, at least in the areas of the neighborhood they live and frequent. This rumor you've been hearing is news to them. I'd look at crime maps of the exact areas you plan on occupying in the neighborhood before you make any decisions.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 AM

134 posts, read 313,180 times
Not sure where you are hearing about an "uprise in crime"? As others have said, look at the crime maps. I lived there 5 years and never had any problems. If you're looking for convenience to shopping, transit, parks/nature and central to the Metro area, you are correct that Highland would be ideal for you. The Highland neighborhood is quite large- so if you really want the convenience, concentrate your apartment search on walking distance from the Village (shopping area centered on Cleveland and Ford Parkway).
But Highland isn't the only neighborhood that would fit your requirements- there are a number of very safe neighborhoods in Minneapolis and the metro area that would work for you.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:39 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,730,187 times
I was peeking at some crime stats and I haven't found anything to indicate that Highland is dangerous. I looked at summer crime stats from 2012 (summer is always the worst for crimes)...the whole police precinct was pretty good. Most of the bad crime pockets are close to 94 or downtown.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM

30 posts, read 34,285 times
Hey carmonyt24, I'm just gonna pop my head in here and say how jealous I am! I've been away for 16 years (wow has it really been that long... moved away when I was a teen) and miss it terribly, especially with a family of my own now. I'd rather be around a place with good schools, family-friendly activities, etc. I've been keeping my ear to the ground for a job transfer opportunity, despite us receiving the 'looming sequestration' talk yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul