Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 AM

10 posts, read 45,499 times

Advertisements

Went to walmart today. -1 degree outside. They didn't have gloves. They have spring/summer gear ready to go, swim suits, summer dresses etc. Crazy. St.Anthony Walmart. Just moved here to Minneapolis, keep seeing stuff like this. Guess these "Big Chains" don't really take in account up north doesn't have the same weather as where ever the head quarters are (I'm sure it's somewhere warm). Ran into this in our travels today all over. After leaving a big carbon foot print, driving all around, spending more on gas then on the pair of gloves, scored me a pair of gloves. Sometimes you don't save money going to these super saver stores I suppose.

Last edited by wauzoo; 01-31-2013 at 11:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,905 times
The reality is that most people go stock up on winter clothes the first time the temps dip low. I've had the same problem in the summer when I need to find shorts/swimwear/etc in late August or September. Glad you found some eventually, though. My guess would have been to try the hardware and farm stores....ACE, TrueValue, Fleet Farm, etc.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Doesn't surprise me. I remember trying to buy bubble solution and sidewalk chalk at Target in late July -- only to be told that they had already discounted it and cleared it out, as it was "seasonal." (yeah -- summer season!) And Target's HQ are local!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:34 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
People buy early on. Things like swimsuits and shorts and the like are because we're getting awfully close to spring break time (despite it not even being February until tomorrow). With a lot of people escaping to warmer climates for a week, it's time to do some shopping.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:01 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
I have never understood why they do this, and they get asked all the time for winter clothing. Always call first, it saves gas but the you may have to call a couple times to get an answer. Maybe try an outfitter like REI near Rosedale or Gander mountain.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I have never understood why they do this, and they get asked all the time for winter clothing. Always call first, it saves gas but the you may have to call a couple times to get an answer. Maybe try an outfitter like REI near Rosedale or Gander mountain.
I've been an employee at Target for quite a while now (though I've been on leave now for over 6 months for another job) and actually very few people have expressed concern about winter clothes going away so early. I think a lot of people head straight to outdoors stores. There are a lot of people who purchased swim suits and other summer gear very early in the season.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:17 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
This is why I buy most of my clothing items online. While I can usually get what I want, stocks of items that are currently in season tend to run low and I'm more likely to run into an issue with size and color combinations. The advantage though, is that if that happens I'm just a few clicks away from getting what I want and don't have to drive or call from store to store.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:20 PM

10 posts, read 45,499 times
I did stock up - but, on the move, a lot of "The Stock" got lost (Or it is somewhere still packed in one of these boxes we haven't gone through yet). Was warm when we moved here, didn't need them. Weird to say that .. was warm when we moved here, was about 3 weeks ago. Weird winter.

I will not be caught again in this scenario - live and learn.

I worked at a Target for a few years myself - 20 years ago. Remember this kind of stuff happening.

I did score on a nice summer dress for my GF while I was at Wally World, wasn't all bad .

Old 01-31-2013, 04:38 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Check places like Walgreens. Sometimes you can find them there. For future reference, boots and snowpants usually are gone from stores by Christmas or approximately one week after our first real snowfall.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:16 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
I was at Kohls today, they still have tons of winter items, most of it on clearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul