Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:49 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You just can't understand that the Minneapolis schools are crap. They have students that don't give a crap about being in school outside of a handful of kids. It's NOT what you wall quality education no matter how much you want to spin it. Try going to a good school for a change and just experience the difference......
UU said there is a massive demographic variation inside of the MPLS school districts. She also said there is a large variation of demographics inside of Southwest.

She was attempting to point out that 40% of the parents from SW have an undergraduate degree. I fully predict that at least 40% of the kids have motivated families that care. Those kids will be taking accelerated classes and are college bound. In that 40% group, some will be brilliant, gifted, incredibly motivated, and others will struggle even while trying there best. In your words, those kids give a crap! Do you call hundreds of students a "small handful"

I too have some experience in this area because my kids went to Anoka. I bet 25% of the kids "don't give a crap". Another large chunk of students are destined to be "average". We live in a dog-eat-dog world. Therefore in 2013, you don't want to be average and coast. There won't be a factory job available and that student might struggle to find a job with that Anoka Ramsey business degree.

Those Southwest kids "who don't give a crap" are not in band, sports, running for student council, etc. The caring students don't really associate with the bottom tier. They are rarely in the same classes or go to the same events. They just happen to pass them in the hall ways as they don't associate with one another. The caring students don't get into fights, bring drugs to school, etc. Putting it another way, the top 25% of students at Rosemount aren't better and more caring than the top 25% at SW. The teachers who are in the accelerated class rooms of SW are not inferior to Rosemount.

So why is SW "crap" for a significant portion of the student body? Is it because of the "averages" ? We can somewhat predict the outcome off a student. Tell me what's their economic background, parents education level, family status (divorced or married), and their culture. If I am being complete, what's their gene pool? Like it or not smart parents produce smarter kids. Would you REALLY think your kids would do worse in SW over Rosemount? If you think they would, then don't you think your kids would REALLY excel at Blake?

reading your previous posts, you seem to worry about kids associating with the wrong crowd. If you know how to parent, your kids will be motivated in school. For those who cannot parent, it might make sense for you to avoid any diversity and problems. For those parent, I'd highly recommend Blake.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 02-17-2013 at 05:59 AM..

Old 02-17-2013, 05:54 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Been discussed over and over again how irrelevant this ranking is. The only people that put any stock in this are those that attended those schools. The rest of the world realizes that when you have a 48% graduation rate that the handful of kids that take IB classes are not an accurate representation of your school.
That was my point. You put stock in Rosemount HS ranking high because your kids attend there (hence "superior" to SW). But since you didn't shell out $15K to Blake, it's no longer better. In other words, you follow the trend like everyone else.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
That was my point. You put stock in Rosemount HS ranking high because your kids attend there (hence "superior" to SW). But since you didn't shell out $15K to Blake, it's no longer better. In other words, you follow the trend like everyone else.
Rosemount doesn't submit stats to the USNWR . I put stock in pertinent data like the high number of kids that graduate and go on to 4 year colleges and the high average ACT scores and what the teachers say about the student body in general. I also put stock in the very, very successful extra-curricular programs across all areas of the school-sports, theater, music, dance, etc. Something just not available, yet equally as important, in Minneapolis, plain and simple. We've had this discussion before and there is no way your kids would be where they are today had they attended North or any of the other low, low end Minneapolis schools.

Since the OP's question has been asked and answered, we can be done with this now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul