Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 04:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,948 times

Advertisements

Could anyone tell me what the train noise is like? I live in Florida now about a quarter mile from a track and I hear them blowing their whistles at all hours. I'm looking at a house on Snelling and don't want to regret it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 05:25 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,967 times
Well, it is true that from Snelling, you will hear bells as the gates drop and train horns almost 24 hours a day. I live about 15 blocks away and hear it. Now, I have to admit, I grew fond of train horns from years of youth living near railroad tracks. It excited romantic visions of going to faraway places. But the world is probably not similarly motivated. So if train horns are your bane, you might not want to choose to live so close. Very little of Minneapolis is close enough to be bothered by the noise. Oddly a whole lot of NEW construction is built within a few blocks. I'm guessing the developers didn't think buyers would be put off. After all, it means a short walk to cheap transportation.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:46 AM

643 posts, read 1,037,742 times
I have never heard train horns in the evening though I can hear the gate bells. I also grew up around trains so I don't mind the noise.

I personally find the sound from the LRT train horns doesn't travel as much as the transport trains because it seems less 'bass-y'.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:38 AM

Travels a mile and a half to my house.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:51 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
since they use "canned" sound effects, how come they don't use a little less grating broadcast like birds tweeting, at night they could have frogs croaking or the waves lapping on the shore, or Yanni.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:58 AM

91 posts, read 268,914 times
I would say check it out for yourself. Everyone has different tolerances. We lived 3 blocks from a crossing and stop and the noise was never an issue there. We then lived about .5 mi away from the crossing and station and I would only occasionally hear the bells when I was out walking the dogs. I also have a friend who lives right off the track at minnehaha and 53rd. She said she doesnt notice. Go out during rush hour (the trains are more frequent) and hang around in your car or outside and see what you think.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
since they use "canned" sound effects, how come they don't use a little less grating broadcast like birds tweeting, at night they could have frogs croaking or the waves lapping on the shore, or Yanni.
Maybe they should. But idiots still try to beat them trains to crossings even at current levels, so it seems risky to quiet the warnings. Seriously, building rail at grade in an urban environment is a dumb idea.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:31 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Maybe they should. But idiots still try to beat them trains to crossings even at current levels, so it seems risky to quiet the warnings. Seriously, building rail at grade in an urban environment is a dumb idea.
It would have been too costly to put the whole thing in a tunnel or up on a bridge, or to run the roads over or under the tracks at crossings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul