Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 03:49 PM

320 posts, read 711,600 times

Advertisements

We are planning a three day visit in April. I think staying at a hotel near the Mall of America and taking the light rail to the university would be our best bet. I don't want to rent a car if we don't have to. Which hotels are the closest to the light rail station at MOA? Someone had mentioned the Fairfield Inn and Suites -- is that walking distance to the station. It looks on google that we have to cross the highway to get to the mall -- is this doable? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 04:05 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Is your primary purpose for your trip to visit the U? If so, have you checked out the University options? There's a hotel right on campus (think it's the Commons Hotel), and there's a Days Inn on University Ave just a short walk/very quick bus ride from the heart of campus. If you're there on University business they may offer discounts; some places do, I know. The ride to/from the MOA is going to eat up a lot of time. I'm not sure about that particular hotel, but if you don't mind the commute the light rail trip itself is easy enough; just take the train, get off at the Metrodome station, and transfer to a 16 or 50 bus right there (which will then drop you off on either the west or the east bank as it makes its way through the University campus and onward towards St. Paul).

Old 03-10-2013, 04:09 PM

The main purpose is to visit the school but that is only one day. We would then have a full day to spend at MOA. So if we stayed at a hotel near the school, we would have to take the light rail to the mall. Any recommendations on hotels near the MOA?

Old 03-10-2013, 04:35 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Country Inn and Suites is right across the street from the light rail stop at the MOA. The light rail doesn't go to the U of M yet though. You would have to take a bus or a cab from a light rail stop to get to the U-but not a huge issue to do so. Renting a car is pretty easy and cheep if you look for deals. It would be worth it if you are here for 3 days. You could maybe add some visits to other colleges in the area like St. Thomas, Macalaster, Carleton, St. Olaf too if those interest you. All are easy drives from the MOA.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:48 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,118 times
Whenever my family stayed in MPLS we stayed at the Thunderbird Ramada. It wasn't anything too nice, but it was okay. It's across the way from the MOA, but isn't across 494. They have a bus that we took to get to the mall. I don't really know about other hotels though. Like others have said, you'll need to take a bus in addition to the light rail. Just follow uptown_urbanist's directions.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:59 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
Whenever my family stayed in MPLS we stayed at the Thunderbird Ramada. It wasn't anything too nice, but it was okay. It's across the way from the MOA, but isn't across 494. They have a bus that we took to get to the mall. I don't really know about other hotels though. Like others have said, you'll need to take a bus in addition to the light rail. Just follow uptown_urbanist's directions.
The Thunderbird used to be the "nice" hotel in Bloomington. That is where the sports teams would stay when they came to play the Twins and the Vikings and back in the dark ages when the high school basketball tournaments were at the Met, the teams stayed there too.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The Thunderbird used to be the "nice" hotel in Bloomington. That is where the sports teams would stay when they came to play the Twins and the Vikings and back in the dark ages when the high school basketball tournaments were at the Met, the teams stayed there too.
That's interesting! I don't think it's a bad hotel now, but some of the other hotels around there look very nice and new

Old 03-26-2013, 07:47 PM

Looking at the map, the Cedar-Riverside Station on the light rail looks very close to the West Bank of the University. How is the walk from the station to the West Bank? Is it a safe area? We are thinking of getting off at that stop and walking over the bridge to the East Bank (just to see the commute if son ends up at the dorms on the West Bank).

Old 03-26-2013, 08:43 PM

85 posts, read 216,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy62 View Post
Looking at the map, the Cedar-Riverside Station on the light rail looks very close to the West Bank of the University. How is the walk from the station to the West Bank? Is it a safe area? We are thinking of getting off at that stop and walking over the bridge to the East Bank (just to see the commute if son ends up at the dorms on the West Bank).
I'd say 5 minute walk to the edge of the West Bank campus. I'd consider it a safe area during normal hours. You get a nice feel for the campus walking over the pedestrian deck of the Wash. Ave bridge. I'd guess 15 minute walk from LRT station to the East Bank.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy62 View Post
I don't think it's worth it unless you are meeting your tour on West Bank which I am guessing you're not. That area is not very safe at night and I don't like going over there in general. It'll be much better to get a transfer, get off at the metrodome and catch the 16 or the 50 (on fourth street which is right off the station) heading towards U and get off at the Jones Eddy Hall stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul