Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 10:52 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Also has anyone tried Black Sheep? There is one in downtown Minneapolis and another one in downtown St. Paul.
I've been to Black Sheep in downtown Minneapolis before and loved it. I'm not sure if it's what the OP is looking for, but it sure was tasty. I'm pretty sure my pizza was of the "sauceless" variety. I was a little shocked, but it wasn't dry and very good flavor. I'd love to eat there more often and after this thread, I'm now craving a slice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 01:56 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,427,997 times
Grumpy's NE serves Heggie's Pizza. It's frozen, local, and hopefully they fixed the 2nd little pizza oven by now. Even better are the local beers you can't get in NYC (you could get a Brooklyn Brewery Tallboy, but when it's the same price as MN beers on Mondays there's no reason to).

I love how NYers brag about how everything's "the best" when a lot of it just isn't. My old roommate was disappointed by his NYC buddy's insider food tour (a NYC cop, btw) where the "best" burger was "OK" and he walked right out of the "excellent" rib joint he was taken to because when he asked what kind of wood they used for their ribs the guy didn't know. I know for damn sure if those same places were in Mpls or St Paul instead that visiting NYers would be complaining about how those places don't measure up to what's in NYC: its a vicious cycle.

And then to top it off I know someone who moved from Columbus to NYC and wishes there was a vegan bakery that even came close to one found in a city in the middle of Ohio. So: go to Grumpy's, leave your pretensions at the door, drink some local beers, order a frozen pizza, chat with some of the locals, and you'll a one-of-a-kind great time you won't find in NYC. You might even manage to get some of that pizza down.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:58 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
One wonders why anyone ever LEAVES New York city. Maybe someone will tell us if they needed to or just couldn't resist the opportunity to find a community they can denigrate.
hahahah

Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
One wonders why anyone ever LEAVES New York city. Maybe someone will tell us if they needed to or just couldn't resist the opportunity to find a community they can denigrate.
I agree! There is plenty of good and several great pizzerias outside NYC these days and the TC has a lot to offer. I know Davanni's is a local TC chain, but I still enjoyed their pizza on my last visit. My favorite growing up in Fridley was Shakey's. It is no longer there and with all the other good pizzerias in the area, probably not terribly missed by many. I'll have to try Black Sheep or Pizzeria Lola the next time I am out there.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:23 AM

432 posts, read 1,227,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionosphere View Post
I moved here recently and like it here a lot, except the pizza here sucks. I have yet to find a good pizza. I am looking for a New York style and places around don't seem to know how-to make good pizza. People here need to raise their standards. At least I found a place that makes good bagels; Brueggers.
Viewers’ Choice For MN’s Best Pizza « CBS Minnesota

Old 04-27-2013, 04:35 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
I've had pizza enough places to know there is good pizza. Anyone who says otherwise is simply saying they are biased in favor of some particular recipe they aren't finding here. Too bad for them. The narrowness of their definition assures they will be unsatisfied most of the time. I don't feel much pain for narrowminded people. They make their own bed.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:11 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionosphere View Post
I moved here recently and like it here a lot, except the pizza here sucks. I have yet to find a good pizza. I am looking for a New York style and places around don't seem to know how-to make good pizza. People here need to raise their standards. At least I found a place that makes good bagels; Brueggers.
Pretty good pizza over here in Wisconsin, Madison in particular. If you ever travel down this way I would suggest Glass Nickel, Roman Candle, or Salvatores Tomato Pies (Sun Prairie). Nearly as good as some pizza places I've been to out East and on the East Coast.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:00 PM

90 posts, read 226,004 times
I have yet to find anything better than Angelo's in Pittsburgh and I have been quite a few places across the country. I'm still looking for a decent pie in this town but so far, I do like the deep dish pizza at the Green Mill. Very Tasty!!!

Old 04-27-2013, 04:59 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
I'm glad that many places make mouth-watering pizza. I'll never travel for that, but I MIGHT travel for some better reason and get one if I end up in some place like Chicago that is famous for some kind of pizza. Barring that, local pizza is more than satisfactory to me. But I won't buy chain store pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul