Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 PM

10 posts, read 11,556 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I are relocating from Pittsburgh to the Minneapolis/St Paul area for work this June. I recently accepted a job at Bethesda Hospital in St. Paul, and she is going to be looking for a psychiatric nursing position at a hospital...somewhere?

The job offer was relatively unexpected so we haven't been able to do too much research on the area, and have never been to Minnesota before. We are both young (late 20s) professionals and would prefer to rent in a SAFE, urban area with amenities within walking distance (bars, shopping, restaurants, etc) and a commute that isn't too horrendous.

From what little we have read it seems that there is more to do in Minneapolis as opposed to St. Paul, and may be safer too. Any suggestions as to what areas we should be investigating? Our budget is between $900-$1000/mo for a nice one bedroom apartment.

Thank you all so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 03:23 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,465 times
Your price range will get you into most neighborhoods in Minneapolis, but there will be a few where the housing stock just doesn't exist at the price.

One such neighborhood is the North Loop. That's what immediately came to my mind. Lots of converted warehouses turned into lofts. Located right next to downtown, has Target Field nearby, a light-rail line to the airport/Mall of America (and soon another to DT St. Paul), access to bars, cool boutiques, etc. But I can't imagine anything south of $1000 and probably more in the $1100 to $1300 range for a 1-bedroom (and up).

Loring Park is another downtown-adjacent neighborhood to the south that has an eclectic mix of apartment styles and several new places being built. There's access to bars on Nicollet and up to Hennepin and such (which would be the same bars accessible in the North Loop, really). Lots of nice brownstones, near one of the larger parks in town, and a Lunds grocery store all within walking distance. Certainly more affordable units.

Other neighborhoods to look at:

-Lowertown in St. Paul: Located downtown. The area is quiet, but growing, and will soon have the other end of the light-rail line, several warehouse-to-unit conversions, a baseball stadium for the minor league, and everything else that comes to DT St. Paul. A bit above your asking price though. Similar to the North Loop.
-Northeast: More blue collar, but safe and affordable. Quick access to downtown if you stay near major roads.
-Marcy-Holmes: My neighborhood. Stay west of the highway and you avoid the student areas. Across the river from downtown, a nice commercial area within walking distance where Hennepin and Central intersect (grocery, bars, banks, restaurants), and a quiet feel in the residential areas, all while being located right in the heart of everything.
-Uptown: It's expensive, but you could find a nice place. Really the most walkable place in the state. Bars, restaurants, groceries, etc. all within reach. Plus you're near the Chain of Lakes, and that's the real gem.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:53 PM

701 posts, read 1,708,770 times
Yinz are goin' make me pull out my Pittsburghese. Just kidding--I grew up in da burgh.

Since there a great places to live throughout the metro, I'd try to live close to where you'll be working. Since you don't know where she'll be working, that could be tricky. I would lean toward living in St. Paul, unless she finds out that her job is elsewhere before you move. Grand Avenue is a fun place--but there are parts that can turn sketchy pretty quickly, so I'm hoping another poster with more knowledge of that area will chime in. I've known quite a few people that lived over there in their late 20s and loved the area. Highland Park and possibly Como would be other good options on the St. Paul side.

If she ended up with a job to the west, then any of the places xandrex mentioned would be good too.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,465 times
I totally forgot Summit and Grand Avenue!

Thanks to MnMomma for mentioning that area of St. Paul. I was rushing out the door when I wrapped up my message, so clearly I didn't think through everything. That area is quieter than some Minneapolis neighborhoods, but offers a good compromise in location between the two downtowns (and it's a very nice area!)

Old 04-05-2013, 10:33 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
The Summit/Grand area will be similar to Carslyle, PA if you have been there, only bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul