Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 08:46 AM

192 posts, read 451,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper89 View Post
Washington State is on the foreground to ignoring the United States Constitution and a prime example of why we are a Republic and not a Democracy. I don't like Bachmann at all, but if we are going to throw someone under the bus, lets throw the leftists under it too. I've never gotten peoples hatred for people like Bachmann when their candidates want to take the same if not more amount of liberty away from others.
That is simply not true at all. Washington State has hands down the most robust and thriving democratic process in the country and some say even the planet due primarily to its Initiative and Referendum system. Washington State is thus, in the vanguard of upholding the Constitution not ignoring it! The I&R system is precisely one of the reasons why things get done so much more quickly and progressively in Washington State versus other states including Minnesota. We the People vote on all kinds of issues every few months and don't have to wait around for our "representatives" to vote, we vote! Minnesota would be very wise to emulate this Initiative and Referendum system in my opinion.
In terms of Bachmann I suppose I would personally agree with her on some things and not others but I can assure you that most Democrats and so called "progressives" here and elsewhere wouldn't and really don't like her. You'd have to ask them why. I agree many on the left indeed are just as complicit in denying and removing rights and liberty as those on the right.

Last edited by glendog; 01-09-2015 at 09:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 08:48 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,757 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by glendog
Washington State leans far more Libertarian, with truly socially liberal laws and voting records and is definitely more fiscally conservative. The fact that Minnesota voted for mainstream Democrats pretty much no matter what in Presidential elections, (let's not disrupt the thread even further by noting all the Republican Governors and people like Bachmann Minnesota has voted for) really is not germane to the original subject, what people "hate" about Minneapolis.

Washington State is on the foreground to ignoring the United States Constitution and a prime example of why we are a Republic and not a Democracy. I don't like Bachmann at all, but if we are going to throw someone under the bus, lets throw the leftists under it too. I've never gotten peoples hatred for people like Bachmann when their candidates want to take the same if not more amount of liberty away from others.Washington State is on the foreground to ignoring the United States Constitution and a prime example of why we are a Republic and not a Democracy. I don't like Bachmann at all, but if we are going to throw someone under the bus, lets throw the leftists under it too. I've never gotten peoples hatred for people like Bachmann when their candidates want to take the same if not more amount of liberty away from others.

"Trolls to the Left
Trolls to the Right
And here I am-
Stuck in the middle with you!"

Old 01-09-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
"Trolls to the Left
Trolls to the Right
And here I am-
Stuck in the middle with you!"
But wait, wouldn't that make you the King of Trolls??

Now what does everyone love about Minneapolis!? I love its awesome cycling scene, Uptown, Warehouse District, affordable housing market (relative to coastal cities at least) cool old buildings and the fact that places like Nye's still exist (at least for now) I love the Walker as well as other museums and the great theater, music and arts scene in the city in general.

Last edited by glendog; 01-09-2015 at 09:25 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 09:21 AM

40 posts, read 62,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendog View Post
That is simply not true at all. Washington State has hands down the most robust and thriving democracy in the country and some say even the planet due primarily to its Initiative and Referendum system. This is precisely one of the reasons why things get done so much more quickly and progressively in Washington State versus other states. We the People vote on all kinds of issues every few months and don't have to wait around for our "representatives" to vote, we vote!
In terms of Bachmann I have no comment. I suppose I would personally agree with her on some things and not others but I can assure you that most Democrats and so called "progressives" here and elsewhere really don't like her. You'd have to ask them why.
The average American voter is not intelligent enough to make such decisions. Washingtonians included based upon the vote for I594. Mob rule is no way to govern the people. Having a Republic based upon protecting basic rights endowed to people by their creator as the founders intended is the only acceptable form of governing a populace. Not flying in billionaires from New York and drafting a law that suckers a populace into making it a felony to allow your friend to shoot one of your firearms without first transferring ownership of the said firearm with a background check.

Democracy tramples the rights of either the minority or the misinformed that does not have the mental capacity to critically think about their actions at the voting booth. With the idea of initiatives being "progressive", eventually the stupidity of humanity will catch up to you on something you consider important. Washington isn't progressive right now, it's a case study into the regressive nature of humanity neglecting the notion that you own yourself and are not a subject. I own myself, not the elitist that tries to sway public opinion to do their bidding!

Old 01-09-2015, 10:07 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendog View Post
No. The only reason it was brought up was because someone else strayed off subject and onto diversity and demographics, which is completely fair but in my opinion not feasible to point out every single difference of perceived or real "liberalness". That said, if we want to go there, Seattle has a much higher gay/lesbian population than Minneapolis, so perhaps you'd like to go back and amend your original post to include this fact? But I digress...
Bottom line is the nonsense about Minnesota being a "Mississippi of the Midwest" was easily refuted with information from me and others. If you want to keep stubbornly believing that, that is your right. However, the rest of us know better. Again, you are just getting in return the attitude you put out there with the hyperbole. It is a two way street.

Dare you to put it in a poll where people say "yes" or 'no". There would be one "yes" here IMO. LOL.

Never said Minneapolis had more or less gay people than Seattle. Both have significant gay populations compared to the average city, so no need to quibble or nitpick there IMO. Don't believe I criticized Seattle's stance on that particular issue either. I said Minneapolis was supportive of gay rights and gay marriage (MN was 12th state to legalize). BTW, it was ahead of all Midwestern states except one (Iowa) because of a court action there.

You are obviously frustrated because you aren't changing people's minds and were expecting essentially a monologue that we are supposed to automatically agree with. There are forums for that among like minded people. It would be wise for you to post additional comments about Seattle in the Seattle forum at this point (regardless of how the thread got off point...it was several of us to be honest).

Just my two cents. We agree to disagree. Wish you a great 2015 despite our differences!

Last edited by chessgeek; 01-09-2015 at 10:16 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
The average American voter is not intelligent enough to make such decisions. Washingtonians included based upon the vote for I594. Mob rule is no way to govern the people. Having a Republic based upon protecting basic rights endowed to people by their creator as the founders intended is the only acceptable form of governing a populace. Not flying in billionaires from New York and drafting a law that suckers a populace into making it a felony to allow your friend to shoot one of your firearms without first transferring ownership of the said firearm with a background check.

Democracy tramples the rights of either the minority or the misinformed that does not have the mental capacity to critically think about their actions at the voting booth. With the idea of initiatives being "progressive", eventually the stupidity of humanity will catch up to you on something you consider important. Washington isn't progressive right now, it's a case study into the regressive nature of humanity neglecting the notion that you own yourself and are not a subject. I own myself, not the elitist that tries to sway public opinion to do their bidding!
I agree with a lot of what your saying. That said I don't believe it is "mob rule" in Washington State right now and the vast majority of people in the state had nothing to do with flying in Bloomberg to "sucker" anyone. It was an engaged and educated populace having a robust debate and voicing its opinion, whether you always like it or not isn't relevant and simply because you disagree doesn't always make it wrong nor does it make everyone else "stupid".
What I-594 and many other initiatives are an indicator of is just how the state is on the vanguard of such debates in our society and thus is seemingly always the battleground for such issues as gun control, the right to die, labeling GM foods, gay marriage, marijuana legalization etc...The latest being I-594, a few months back it was the labeling GM foods debate...Right or wrong this debate is what matters and it happens all the time in WA state thus proving it to be the most robust democratic system in the land, by far! People in Washington are smart and by and large get it right despite the billionaires and yet sometimes the ideals simply do align. The I&R system is one of the main reasons why Washington is almost always a leader on such issues that eventually make their way to places like Minnesota many many years later. It's been that way for all my life and it's no different now. BTW, have you read the entire background check bill? I have and I was surprised to see that what it actually says about loans and transfers to a friend or family for hunting, self-defense, inheritance etc vs a lot of the fear mongering and baloney out there. Read it for yourself and see! I am not a big Bloomberg fan nor do I trust his nanny state politics but that said, felons, criminals and insane people shouldn't be able to go to the gun show in Puyallup and buy any firearm without a background check. That is crazy. In the end if there is any issue with that new law it will come up and be amended or repealed I can assure you. Freedom and the democratic process is often hard and messy but I have faith that over the long run we are getting it right. One need only see the tide of support for the above mentioned issues (gay marriage, right to die, legal weed, etc) for proof! That said, I personally have had far more inherent constitutionally protected rights of mine stolen or removed in Minnesota than I ever have in Washington.

Last edited by glendog; 01-09-2015 at 10:48 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 10:26 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,757 times
It's like Cleverfield in a Seattle dress.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
It's like Cleverfield in a Seattle dress.
No, more like Cloverfield in Minneapolis Mossy Oak...

Old 01-09-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Bottom line is the nonsense about Minnesota being a "Mississippi of the Midwest" was easily refuted with information from me and others. If you want to keep stubbornly believing that, that is your right. However, the rest of us know better. Again, you are just getting in return the attitude you put out there with the hyperbole. It is a two way street.

Dare you to put it in a poll where people say "yes" or 'no". There would be one "yes" here IMO. LOL.

Never said Minneapolis had more or less gay people than Seattle. Both have significant gay populations compared to the average city, so no need to quibble or nitpick there IMO. Don't believe I criticized Seattle's stance on that particular issue either. I said Minneapolis was supportive of gay rights and gay marriage (MN was 12th state to legalize). BTW, it was ahead of all Midwestern states except one (Iowa) because of a court action there.

You are obviously frustrated because you aren't changing people's minds and were expecting essentially a monologue that we are supposed to automatically agree with. There are forums for that among like minded people. It would be wise for you to post additional comments about Seattle in the Seattle forum at this point (regardless of how the thread got off point...it was several of us to be honest).

Just my two cents. We agree to disagree. Wish you a great 2015 despite our differences!
Not frustrated in the least! Far from it friend! I am sorry you are obviously irritated. I apologize if I offended your view of yourself. Now it's time to shovel out my elderly neighbors which sure beats shoveling what's been piling up on this forum! I wish you and everyone else a happy 2015 as well. Now if you're waiting for me to read anymore comments or respond to any, I'm sorry but you shall be waiting for Godot...And as the song says, "I'm going to Jackson, that's all she wrote..."

Last edited by glendog; 01-09-2015 at 11:20 AM..

Old 03-22-2015, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,277 times
Thumbs down what is there to like?

If you like Minneapolis, it's because you're from here, or you're living off the state.

It's on par with Oakland in general ghettoness. There's more beggers than I've ever seen anywhere. It's dirty. Very few good restaurants. It's just as expensive as CA. The weather is always awful. It's either insanely cold, or ridiculously hot, and swamp like. The people are two faced. Minnesota nice means Minnesota passive aggressiveness. And let's not forget the hordes of somalis, which are violent, rude, dangerous drivers, and a general burden to society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul