Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 12:21 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times

Advertisements

Idk what the Scandinavian talk is all about... this state is American one hundred percent.... even if you want to go into the ancestors of Minnesotans most Minnesotans are of German ancestry... not that it matters considering the fact that your dead relatives you have never met are from Germany doesn't make you German at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 12:44 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate Minnesota View Post
THIS.

I have family in Norway and Finland. I go back to visit every August. The Minnesota "culture" is a bastardized version of Scandinavian culture. I would say that Minnesota's culture takes all of the bad from Scandinavian culture and none of the good. True Scandinavian culture is very event oriented. Over the years, Scandinavians have truly modernized their traditions. Minnesota is the opposite and it is Americanized in all the wrong ways. My wife and I competed in the annual Wife Carrying Competition in Finland last year, and spent the summer attending the hundreds of other festivals and festivities Scandinavia celebrates. There's none of that in MN. There's maybe the Taste of Minnesota...in Waconia. That's about it. Minnesota is a totally repressed too-scared-to-offend culture. Again, it seems very xenophobic and straight up anti-social unless you are a college student that frequents Uptown, Block E or Nordeast (for now).
I see. So what we're missing then is some kind of organized activity where you carry your wife, because that's a very modern thing to do, and since we don't have that, we're totally repressed and xenophobic. Right.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:27 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
No matter what your issues are with minneapolis, seems kind of weird to complain about a lack of festivals or activities. Now granted, it gets quieter in the winter, but every single weekend from spring through fall is packed with multiple options; people like to get out and be outside when the weather is nice. Block parties, parades, festivals of assorted types, art fairs, outdoor concerts, not to mention farmers markets and other weekly events. Perhaps you're just not familiar with where to go for the listings?

Old 03-31-2015, 07:38 PM

77 posts, read 94,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I see. So what we're missing then is some kind of organized activity where you carry your wife, because that's a very modern thing to do, and since we don't have that, we're totally repressed and xenophobic. Right.

Not really, but that attitude is exactly what I mean when I say that the prevailing attitude of Minnesotans is inherently closed mindedness.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
No matter what your issues are with minneapolis, seems kind of weird to complain about a lack of festivals or activities. Now granted, it gets quieter in the winter, but every single weekend from spring through fall is packed with multiple options; people like to get out and be outside when the weather is nice. Block parties, parades, festivals of assorted types, art fairs, outdoor concerts, not to mention farmers markets and other weekly events. Perhaps you're just not familiar with where to go for the listings?
Ok...so there's national night out, fourth of July, the MN State Fair (which is pretty cool), KS95's Lame Fest, and 93X's Suck Fest. You got me there . Then you get a wild card like Metallica or Garth Brooks every 10 years or so.

Farmers Markets are called "markets" everywhere else.

It's not all bad. It's low key.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Not really, but that attitude is exactly what I mean when I say that the prevailing attitude of Minnesotans is inherently closed mindedness.
My point is that you make no sense. Your comment about the wife carrying festival is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen here.

BTW, that is not an attitude, it is an opinion.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:21 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Quote:
KS95's Lame Fest, and 93X's Suck Fest.
Good lord. No wonder you hate Minnesota. Only the most boring people on planet Earth participate in that garbage. If I thought those were the only music festivals in the Twin Cities, I'd probably leave this community for good, too.

How about Rock the Garden? Basilica Block Party? Sound Set? You know, quality music?

Old 04-01-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
My point is that you make no sense. Your comment about the wife carrying festival is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen here.

BTW, that is not an attitude, it is an opinion.
What about wife carrying? It's f'n awesome! That's damn good fun and trust building.

BTW, wife carrying is an event...not a festival.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Good lord. No wonder you hate Minnesota. Only the most boring people on planet Earth participate in that garbage. If I thought those were the only music festivals in the Twin Cities, I'd probably leave this community for good, too.

How about Rock the Garden? Basilica Block Party? Sound Set? You know, quality music?
Yeah...those we the good ones, but...now I'm a couple hours away from Austin and SXSW. There's simply no comparison.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
What about wife carrying? It's f'n awesome! That's damn good fun and trust building.

BTW, wife carrying is an event...not a festival.
Do they have wife carrying events where you are in Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul