Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:48 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times

Advertisements

I'm not a smoker. I think it a very bad habit that will probably kill you or could ruin your life. However, if you insist on smoking, why don't you buy your cigarettes from the low cost on-line web sites. You could buy dozens of cartons at a cheap price. If I was an addicted smoker, I would never buy cigarettes by the single pack at a local store. I've always been amazed that people that are never going to quit smoking, keep buying one or two packages at a time from convenience stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 12:13 PM

21 posts, read 31,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I know way too many poor people who are-where-they-are for a reason. They don't have it hard at all. They get MN Care, food stamps, county heating assistance, they visit food shelves to stock up on odds-and-ends, free cell phone service, free college for their family (FAFSA), and a whole host of other benefits.

So they use the services and they don't pay squat. Yea... I'm really concerned about "taxes falling disproportionately on the poor". As I said, they take a lot from society but don't contribute. I know WAY too many people that work the system. It use to be shameful but now it is a game to coast through life. I can list off 30 people off the top of my head. It's not rare at all.
Oh wow, you know 30 poor moochers? Well, jeez, I was going to say that your entire post amounts to one big anecdotal argument, but man....30 people? That's gotta count as a subset of society.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:10 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Wow, so now Dayton wants SMOKERS to pay for his Wilfare program. Now I agree with the smokers. Let Wilf dig into his OWN deep pockets. Are there any candidates we can support who are anti-Wilfare? On any level of government?

Old 05-19-2013, 01:04 AM

Why 'wilfare'?

Old 05-19-2013, 05:30 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomspoon View Post
Why 'wilfare'?
Ziggy Wilf(hence "Wilfare") is an out of state owner of the MN Vikings. See Gov. Dayton backs cigarette tax for Vikings' stadium

" The state is currently on the hook for $348 million of stadium costs and revenue from electronic gambling games, the original source intended to cover that tab, has come in far short of original projections."

Old 05-19-2013, 10:11 AM

Ah, thanks.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:46 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomspoon View Post
Oh wow, you know 30 poor moochers? Well, jeez, I was going to say that your entire post amounts to one big anecdotal argument, but man....30 people? That's gotta count as a subset of society.
Look around. They are not hard to find in today's society.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:43 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Chelle View Post
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I need to vent for a minute. I don't get my feathers riled often but this is not sitting very well with me and I would like to ask for your help.

It seems we are going to be faced with another tax on Tobacco. They want to raise the tax on a pack of cigarettes 1.60 per pack. WTF!?!? The state does NOT need this extra tax, if they need it so bad, find it in other areas. Legalize and tax marijuana, take a pay cut, take one less vacation per year, something other than picking on us smokers. I mean when will it end?

Imagine paying 10.00 per pack of cigarettes, every day! I did in Seattle, not a pleasant experience at all. Politicians know we are an easy target. Tobacco is a VERY hard habit to break, I have been smoking since I was 16, 32 years. I am NOT a very nice person when I crave nicotine. Just ask anyone who knows me when I tried to quit in the past.

When they did this to us in Arizona, barely any of the money the tax was to be used for, i.e. education to help prevent smoking, health care, etc... never made it to those programs. I am not saying Minnesota is Arizona, but face it, we all know politicians use the things we care about to pass their laws and taxes when the money goes elsewhere.

So I am asking that if you smoke, even if you don't but know a smoker, help us keep the price at a reasonable rate.... hell, even the 6.00 a day I am paying now is TOO MUCH!!! Please, vote NO on this new tax.

Here is some information, with a phone number, to make this very easy. Please just take a couple of seconds to make a call and tell your elected official that we don't want this new tax.

Oh, I also believe this tax will raise the cost of alcohol.... so Drinkers and Smokers unite and help fight this injustice.

Tranform Tobacco - State - Minnesota Interesting read, see how much the state already makes off us smokers!

Thank you!!! I owe you one Minnesota!
you should look into buying a e-cig

Old 05-19-2013, 07:25 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Are the e-cigs taxed under tobacco laws? If not, not understanding why smokers buy tobacco at all. Do they WANT to get socked with taxes?

Old 05-20-2013, 10:21 AM

90 posts, read 226,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Ziggy Wilf(hence "Wilfare") is an out of state owner of the MN Vikings. See Gov. Dayton backs cigarette tax for Vikings' stadium

" The state is currently on the hook for $348 million of stadium costs and revenue from electronic gambling games, the original source intended to cover that tab, has come in far short of original projections."
As predicted..... they tell us it's to pay for health care but health care will not see a dime if it! There will always be something much more important to spend the money on.

Karma is a b ! t c h, I hope these liars all get what they have coming to them! Time to register to vote here..... not that it will matter, all politicians are corrupt. Such a sad world we live it.

Honestly, if they want a new stadium, let the players take a pay cut like most of the country had to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
you should look into buying a e-cig
Had one once. Good for 2 maybe 3 hits then it's just air. Only nice thing about it was I could use it anywhere. I wish they worked better, I miss the freedom of being able to vaporize anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul