Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:25 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times

Advertisements

Never seen this anwhere else. Why do they do it, and why do so many homes only have 1 full bathroom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 09:58 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Built for smaller families? Two full baths are only useful when people want to take showers simultaneously.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Built for smaller families? Two full baths are only useful when people want to take showers simultaneously.
Most of the homes I'm describing have 2 showers, but only 1 tub. Am I missing something? Seperate tubs for the adults and kids is usually the norm, isn't it? I mean, I only take showers, but my wife still likes a hot bath a couple times a week.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:19 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
From my understanding if it has a "Sink, Toilet, tub and/or Shower" it counts as Full Bath.
Sink/Toilet count as 1/2 bath.

Older homes,s Tend to have tub (with shower head in it) in 'Main' bath. Shower only in 'Master' Bath,
Newer Homes, Tend to have tub (with shower head in it) in 'Main' bath. Tub and Shower in 'Master bath suite'

Old 06-08-2013, 11:16 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
From my understanding if it has a "Sink, Toilet, tub and/or Shower" it counts as Full Bath.
Sink/Toilet count as 1/2 bath.

Older homes,s Tend to have tub (with shower head in it) in 'Main' bath. Shower only in 'Master' Bath,
Newer Homes, Tend to have tub (with shower head in it) in 'Main' bath. Tub and Shower in 'Master bath suite'
Sink, toilet, and shower without a tub is a 3/4 bath not a full bath. You need a tub for it to be a full bath.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Sink, toilet, and shower without a tub is a 3/4 bath not a full bath. You need a tub for it to be a full bath.
That's what I thought, and the realtors there list houses as 2 baths, when it's really 1 and 3/4. You have to actually click on the listing to find out it isn't a true 2 bath home......and there's so MANY homes built like that from what I've seen.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:16 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
That's what I thought, and the realtors there list houses as 2 baths, when it's really 1 and 3/4. You have to actually click on the listing to find out it isn't a true 2 bath home......and there's so MANY homes built like that from what I've seen.
I've seen that too-- a listing for, say, 4BR, 3 bath and it's one full, one 3/4, and one 1/2. I always figured that it's the way the summary works, maybe a MLS thing. I never found it misleading though. I can't see how else they would do it. Getting into what kind of baths seems like too much detail. I figure if I like the looks of it I can always check out the details.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:01 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Well, for sure, if you want a tub, two of them, three of them, don't accept less. But in 20 years I've never used my tub as a tub. It is really an inconvenience during a shower. My father built a house with a shower stall only, plus a stool and a shower wand. He and my mother both found this structure the best for them. Tile floor of course. No tub ring to clean. I guess those who want the opportunity to soak really need the tub. But for that, I'd think a hot tub would be ideal. But its all a matter of consumer preference. Best to ask the agent selling the house what their jargon actually means.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:17 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
I don't know that the RE software allows for a 3/4th bath so it gets counted as a full bath, at least that is how it was when we moved here. At least if they put a full bath vs 1/2 when it's a 3/4th bath you know there is at least a shower and not just a stool and sink. Usually in the comments they note that the basement bath is 3/4ths or whatever.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:05 AM

701 posts, read 1,709,199 times
The summary lists the number of rooms that are considered a bathroom--regardless of the size. You have to look at the details to find out if they are 1/2, 3/4 or full. If you added it up mathematically, you'd end up with weird listings. For example, a house that has two powder rooms would be 1/2 each--you wouldn't want to list that as 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul