U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:51 AM

97 posts, read 301,963 times

Advertisements

A question for anyone who has moved here in the past 5 years.

"What do you wish you knew before you moved here, but didn't?"

A friend of mine from work will likely be transferred here soon and I didn't know how to answer the above question so I thought I would throw it out to the group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 04:38 AM

20,793 posts, read 54,014,429 times
Depending on where your friend is from a lot of transplants wish they knew how to drive in the snow but I guess that is something you have to learn when you get here.

I think in the moves we have made the hardest part is picking out a particular neighborhood in the town you have chosen. That is one think I love about this board is that you can probably find someone that knows about specific areas and can direct you to which neighborhoods will fit your needs the best.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:07 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,340,701 times
That Minnesotans tend to (shrug their shoulders, palms up) have a "That's life" type of acceptance towards their surroundings.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,269 times
Folks Up Here Do Not Ask Questions. Often Make Assumtions. They Are Clickish. Politically They Are Active.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:09 AM

10 posts, read 32,175 times
That:
- Sushi is about 30% to 40% more expensive than Phoenix.
- Professional trades, plumbing, electrician, doctors, etc. cost about the same. But anything requiring un-, low-skilled labor is more pricey. See sushi, also restaurants in general, landscaping, car washes, dry cleaning, etc.
- The town we decided to live in, Chanhassen, has a lousy selection of good Chinese and pizza.
- People here drive slooooooow. (But that one doesn't really matter.)
- Minnesota Nice doesn't equal friendly.
- Library story time requires registration, and have fewer times.
- Yards waste can't be placed in garbage.
- Town by town differences in alcohol purchasing laws. And why even bother with 3.2?

Nothing to say that we shouldn't of moved here, but little differences that add to the "charm"...

Old 11-07-2007, 09:00 AM

32 posts, read 67,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyBSimpson View Post
That:
- Sushi is about 30% to 40% more expensive than Phoenix.
- Professional trades, plumbing, electrician, doctors, etc. cost about the same. But anything requiring un-, low-skilled labor is more pricey. See sushi, also restaurants in general, landscaping, car washes, dry cleaning, etc.
- The town we decided to live in, Chanhassen, has a lousy selection of good Chinese and pizza.
- People here drive slooooooow. (But that one doesn't really matter.)
- Minnesota Nice doesn't equal friendly.
- Library story time requires registration, and have fewer times.
- Yards waste can't be placed in garbage.
- Town by town differences in alcohol purchasing laws. And why even bother with 3.2?

Nothing to say that we shouldn't of moved here, but little differences that add to the "charm"...

I have to disagree a little bit. as someone who drove up I-35 and through the city a lot, people don't always drive slow. I had many times driving up north going 70, and people were flying past me. it's even more annoying when it's snowing like crazy, and you're just trying to get home and not run off the road, and some a-hole in his 4 by 4 blasts past you and throws snow in your windshield so you have to slow down to even see where you;re going.

yeah, 3.2...well, if it isn't a big deal, then don't gripe about it. I agree with you though on that point, but I don't just drink beer to get drunk.

Yes, people are somewhat clique-ie. guess it depends where you are.

I grew up in Northern MN (I was there for 19 years or so of my life...I'm only 21 now.) and I moved to Kansas...My g/f makes fun of me constantly because I will talk to ANYONE. It's just how I grew up. I grew up by the whole thinking that we all live in the same place, so we might as well be friendly to each other, cause if we aren't, then whats the point of even going anywhere, etc....

There are places in MN where Meth has been a problem. I remember a big billboard on 169 that said something about meth with a picture of a guy behind bars...

Mostly I think Meth is big in the Hibbing/Chisolm/Virginia area. a little bit in Grand Rapids, but not too bad. it's been more under control the last few years. lots of busts and people ending up in jail.

I LOVE MN. I love the forest and the scenery. I miss watching for deer on my drives (trying not to kill any.) I miss WALKING to a REAL lake to go fishing. I miss the clean air. I miss what it's like to live in a city without a bunch of homies. those stupid kids that went to the ground floor in grand rapids are a walk in the park compared to the stabbings/shootings/beatings that happen here in Topeka on a regular basis.

People seem to think that MN nice means everyone is nice. Obviously, any smart human being knows that not everyone is going to be nice. that's just the way of the world. Some people are a-holes. But there are a lot more people I could walk up and start a conversation with in MN than here in KS.

Those are just some of my thoughts. maybe I'm biased. I loved MN. Trying to find the equivalent in another state, and I'm having a hard time.

Looking at Oregon, but they have big problems of their own.

Ravie

Old 11-10-2007, 05:44 PM

138 posts, read 575,104 times
In the end, it's your own attitude. This area is awesome. When I moved here from Chicago, I had a gal look me in the eye and say, "You know you're never going to want to leave here." She was right. It's been 9 years. I never will leave.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,032 times
ya shure...you betcha....except for a few years in California, and a couple in Japan, I have been here most of my life...its not perfect...what place is...but about as close as you can get...especially during lutefisk season!!...Uffda!!!

Old 11-10-2007, 06:15 PM

Yeah, 3.2 is effin ridiculous. What's even more messed up is that it is passed off as regular beer. There are no signs or anything saying what it really is-overpriced water. You are just somehow supposed to know what it is, and I guess that if you are a local you will figure it out sooner or later, but if you are new to the area or just visiting, you could end up feeling pretty stupid. And the stuff is even more expensive!

What really ticked me off is that you can't purchase alcohol from a grocery store (well Trader Joes and Byerly's do have a separate "store").

By the way, if you dig into way that off-sale is currently sold in the state of Minnesota you'll realize that it is the liquor store owners who control this legislation.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdog View Post
ya shure...you betcha....except for a few years in California, and a couple in Japan, I have been here most of my life...its not perfect...what place is...but about as close as you can get...especially during lutefisk season!!...Uffda!!!
You forgot to add Thank You Much. Cringe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul